Forum home Wedding fashion

Garters!

Is anyone doing them?! My MIL2B has just bought me one and hadn't actually thought about it before. I am not wearing stockings on the day but thought I would "customise" it and add a blue bow for my something blue and also add the mandatory sparkles as I am such a sparkle fan!

• craftycharlicraftycharli Posts: 3,175
    I decided not to do a garter. Don't really know why or how I came to that conclusion if I am honest but I did. I wouldn't want the 'traditional' photo of the bride flashing her garter anyway and as you pointed out I will be wearing stockings on the day so it probably wouldn't work with them anyway! Speaking of which I have never worn stockings before and so I am hoping they are comfortable - anyone??? My something blue is the sapphire in my engagement ring and a blue flower that my dress maker stitched to the inside of my dress and I suppose my bridesmaids as they are in blue!
  • puntobabepuntobabe Posts: 446
    I prob will do, I might borrow my mums one which she wore on her wedding day to my step-dad, its blue aswell, so that will sort out something borrowed and something blue
  • blossom25blossom25 Posts: 3,070
    Charli, stockings are surprisingly comfy so long as you secure them with suspenders properly as they have a tendency to slip down and the Nora Batty look isn't 1 you want to go for! I'm having one I think but don't want the usual pic. Thought about throwing this at end of night instead of bouquet as there's no way I'm throwing my gorgeous expensive flowers! Going to customise mine with a blue swarkovski crystal heart for something blue and to match my hearts theme. xx
    Good idea to throw the garter not the bouquet. I am definitely not throwing the bouquet either but don't have a garter to throw so all the singletons will just ahve to cope with not having anything to catch! I read in one mag or another about someone who had their flowers preserved in some way, thought that was a nice idea but I'm not really sure what i would do with them!
    Oh also thanks *Jules* for letting me know stockings are comfy - I've got suspenders so should avoid the nora batty look!
    lol! The first time I wore them somewhere other than the bedroom one of them wrinkled up and then dropped down totally in the middle of the pub! Luckily everyone was too drunk to notice but I guess it wouldn't make too good a reportage photoimage I stick to just wearing em for my h2b's benefit in the house now but probably having the full underwear get up on the big day. You can get decent ones that hardly need suspendrs but it's better to be safe than sorry! xx
    Yeah I'm going for the full underwear thing - it is not really seperate suspenders they are just on the bottom of my basque - went for that in an extra attempt to hold everything in under the dress! 2weeks today by now I will be just about sitting down for the wedding breakfast - OH MY GOD!!!!!!!
    What's your basque like? Being totally nosy so you don't have to say if it's a secret image I'm addicted to buying underwear like some women are addicted to shoes! Got drawers full of the stuff so my wedding undies will have to be extra special. Don't actually need any at top as it's a boned corset top but want some anyway. Can't imagine just being 2 weeks away!! You must be so excited! xx
    Obviously it's a secret from hubbie but I can say here so http://www.figleaves.com/uk/product.asp?product_id=SP-4133&mci=&size=&colour= should take you to the whole ensemble of lingerie thatI am having. I do love buying underwear too - well I love buying any clothing really but even though this is quite simple I don't have anything like it at the moment as normally I go for colours so hopefully it's different enough to be special! Yes I am totally over excited!!! Just hope the next 2 weeks don't drag too much!!!!!
    Oh wow. I really love it! It would be perfect for my dress as it's sheer fabric over the body and the slighty scalloped lace detail even matches my dress but unfortunately they don't do my size! (An awkward 32DD) Wouldn't want to pinch your idea anywayimage Does it feel like waiting for Christmas day did when you were a kid? xx
    Yes it feels like Christmas - but even more than that!!! I went for that basque becauseit's got the detail but it is all in places that doesn't cause anything to show through the dress orstop my dress lying flat. I love it too suprisingly - don't mind if anyone steals my ideas it's not like we'll know in the end anyway I'd be flattered that any of my ideas were worth pinching!
    Your basque is so perfect! Shame they don't do my size. My bits aren't huge for goodness sake! Think it's just because of my small back combined with biggish cup size. Hard to find. Might have a browse round Figleaves later as I think they do have my size in some stuff. I've got an idea of what I want off yours now though imagexx
    Be careful on figleaves if you are addicted to underwear shopping i have been on before 'just for a browse' and come away with my credit card limit being pushed!!! I do often end up sending things back too though but at least you can without any hassle. Hope you find something you like!
    Can't resist! Just have to get my housemate to hide my cardsimage xx
  • Hi, I'm not doing a garter as I feel they look a bit tacky. I hate the photo's that people seem to get showing their garter. I will however be doing lots of very sexy underwear which ONLY my husband will get a flash of AFTER the wedding.
  • juliabird1juliabird1 Posts: 158
    Have to agree with you on all counts there Fiona, I find them quite frankly a bit tacky and also dont like photos of the bride flashing a leg about! My step mum seems to think I 'need' one to complete my outfit though! YUK! Think I will just tell h2b that I wont be wearing one, he hates anything tacky and even remotely chavvy so Im sure he wont mind! APOLOGIES to all who are wearing one! Just personal taste!
  • I don't think I'm going to have one, I really don't see the point of them. Out of interest I asked my h2b if he thought they were sexy and he didn't seem bothered either way so I know he won't be disappointed at least!
  • cheryl654cheryl654 Posts: 366
    Only wearing one as MIL2B bought it for me but can imagine it ending up round someones head like a tennis players seat band after a few champers! Don't find them the slightest bit sexy but as I am having a chavvy wedding (sparkly everything and Stretch Hummer!) and have decided to go with the idea!
  • PippaukPippauk Posts: 146
    I don't mean to spoil the fun but I have a question: don't suspenders make it complicated to go to the toilet: I don't want to spend my wedding day in the bathroom trying to put myself back together. Maybe I am very naive.
  • cheryl654cheryl654 Posts: 366
    Dear Annon, you can put the suspenders on first and your pants over the top!