Dresses - shop around!

I have been set on a particular dress by Alfred Angelo ever since I started looking. I am actually going to try it on next week but have to travel from Essex into Kent to do so as any more local ones are sized to fit skinny girls only! Anyway, my main point is the extreme variations in cost from one shop to another. This particular dress is £700 in pronuptia, £841 at Confetti & Lace (Lakeside) and can be bought from the USA for about £300 ish + P&P and of course taxes, still making it cheaper though. I was going to go that route BUT have now found an Essex bridal shop that will sell the same dress for £550! Probably no more expensive than importing (but without the risk) and £300 cheaper than a retailer a few miles down the road. Until I started asking, I never realsied that there was so much variation in prices. SO basically ask around. Check the designer's site for approved outlets and ask them all the price they will sell your dream dress at. Also this particular outlet charges a maximum £50 for alterations which is amazingly cheap! Melanie

• kht1468kht1468 Posts: 1,079
    Good point Melanie - sadly with anythign like wedding dresses people feel free to wack up their prices accordingly to make the most of us poor brides!

Let us know how you get on with the fitting.

Kathy x
  • Hi Melanie - which shop in Essex did you find the dress at 550? I live in Essex and will start searching soon!
  • melaniebukmelaniebuk Posts: 98
    Hi, its called Special Occassions and is in Stanford le Hope. I don't know if they'll compare well for all dresses or all designers but they certainly did with the one I want. I just hope I still want it once I've tried it on! Good luck with your search, when are you getting married? I'm getting married on 1st September 2007.
  • Thanks Melanie, I'll definately give them a look xxxx I'm getting married on 1st June 2007, can't wait!