BRIDAL SHOPS IN ESSEX

Hey ladies

Just wondered where you have shopped for your dress in Essex and if you have any recommendations espically on the below:

Matchmaker Bride in Brentwood

New Beginnings in Brentwood

Grace and Lace in Chelmsford

I hope to hear from you x

• Hiya

I didn't go to any of those I'm afraid but I went to Bellissima in South Woodham Ferrers and they were brilliant, I know the owner and she was going to offer me a hefty discount but unfortunately nothing was grabbing me! Much to my Mum's annoyance! I ended up getting my dress in Divine Gowns in Chelmsford. I had never heard of them or seen the shop until stumbling across it after a shopping trip. The selection is fab - not too small not too big and if you can get Maria to serve you, you won't go wrong! They seemed considerably cheaper than anywhere else and the dress came in super quick time - I ordered it in November and it arrived in January. Alterations are done by their lady but she seems reasonable compared to other places also.

I know this is about recommendations for good shops but I have to say avoid Confetti and Lace in Lakeside like the plague - awful! x
  • Hi, I didn't go to any of those either. I got my dress, 4x bridesmaid dresses and 5x groomsmen morning suits from Premier Bridal Company in Leigh (which is now called Kay Mason Bridal). Really lovely dresses inside, but don't be put off by all those bright coloured prom dresses in the window that look tacky! Denise is definitely worth a visit! xxxx
  • stacey2682stacey2682 Posts: 58
    I got my dress from Special Occasions in Stanford le Hope and they are fantastic!

I looked around for reviews, as i did not want a snooty shop and happened across this one.

It is not a pretty shop by any means, and no champagne (!) but the service is second to none. I was in there ages, as was not rushed at all. No hard sell. Huge selections of dresses. Just fab.

I would reccomend them to everyone!

• jencunjencun Posts: 122
    I wouldn't go to New Beginnings in Brentwood.They started off very snooty and offhand but by the end of my visit they were more friendly.I only went in to try on a veil and my friend and I got a slight ticking off for not booking an appointment.It was mid week with 2 assistants,no customers and like I said I only went in to try on a veil.It wasn't as if I wanted to try on any dresses.

Also I noticed when I got home I didn't have any receipt in the bag which I was a bit put out about but not enough to go back though.

I personally wouldn't have felt comfortable trying dresses on with them.

Anyway just my experience.x
  • MrsS to beMrsS to be Posts: 2,633
    I got my dress from Matchmakers in Brentwood. So far so good.

Free alterations, and of course they stocked the dress i wanted. I got my veil from there too which was in the sale, exactly what i wanted.

Also my dress arrived really fast and this meant that I had £600 left to pay mid Nov... this obviously wasn't doable just before xmas and so they asked me how much I could afford, so I paid £200 that day, and paid the £400 only last month.. they're pretty flexible if you need it.

I also looked in Grace and Lace in Chelmsford, couldnt fault that either when I went in. And the little lady with the dark hair is LOVELY!!!

My Sil2b got her dress off the peg which was fine, they checked it etc, and cleaned and pressed it. My bmaid dress was from there too..However the lady ( wasnt the nice lady) measured me and said she'd get me a size 8 in... told her my boobs wouldnt fit in it and i said need a 10, but she insisted that it'd fit.. needless to say when it arrived it did fit, but i couldnt breath, the dress had to be let out.. which was fine, but on the day it was ok initially but as the day went on it was just feeling soooo tight. It wouldnt have stopped me getting my dress from there though!!!!

Re New Beginnings.. thats opposite Matchmaker and I didnt even bother going in as i didnt like the look of it on the outside lol.

x

• joesgirlukjoesgirluk Posts: 39
    Hi, I bought my dress from Matchmaker in Brentwood, can't praise them enough really. Only tried on in two shops (both award winners which is why I chose them) and also went into C & L at lakeside - but not going to advertise THEM (enough said). Anyway Matchmaker were great, very patient with me as I'm a big differer! and a good selection of different types of dresses, in some shops all the dresses looked alike to me, plus the dresses were nice and clean. PS They have a great selection of Ian Stuart dresses which I LOVE! image
  • KD79KD79 Posts: 93
    Hi

I went to New beginnings, was the first place i had been so had nothing to compare it with. looking back the girl who served me was great but my mum sat on her own for over an hour whilst the two other shop women just stood behind the till chatting to each other. It was freezing in there and she didnt even get offered a cup of tea. matchmaker by comparison were lovely. I tried on a load of pronovias dresses in there, loved the style so ended up going to the bond st flagship store thinking their range would be bigger. really regret not having ordered the dress through matchmaker as their service was much better. got my veil through them and they were brilliant!

if you want somewhere else to try, go to the bespoke wardrobe in danbury. cannot recommend them enough! my budget didnt quite stretch to a dress from them but they had amazing dresses and customer service was so much better than anywhere i went!

good luck!
    Just to reiterate, I called Matchmakers in a hunt for my bridesmaid gowns and they were so helpful.. i am actually glad i chose Matchmaker over Grace and Lace now!!!

Let us know where u go.

• MissTuscanyMissTuscany Posts: 352
    Has anyone that bought their dress from Matchmaker had any alterations done by them? If so, were they to a high standard?

Also, did anyone manage to negotiate a discount on their dress at Matchmaker?

• joane7171joane7171 Posts: 69
    I bought my dress in Chantilly Lace near Southend on Sea. They are really lovely in there and have some lovely dresses. I would definatley recomend it.
    My dress didnt need altering.. They are putting ribbons in for the bustle though?!

I also went on a 10% off designer day, so i didn't ask for any more discount.

You get a book of vouchers when you buy your dress, 15% off bridesmaid dresses, veil, shoes etc.. I am going there on Saturday with my maids, was tempted to ask for an extra 5% off... they don't alter the bridesmaid dresses either. Any also you don't need an appointment for them.

Only brides need appointments.

• Thank you so much Ladies, I will let you know how I get on after Saturday 24th July 2011. Dressing up Day x LOL x

Soooooooooooo excitied!!!
  • Snowflake55Snowflake55 Posts: 674
    If you are willing to pop over the boarder to Bishops Stortford I can recommend the White Boutique!!!! Its amazing with the best changing room ever!!! They are so lovely and cos i got my dress there I got 10% of the bridesmaids dresses xx
  • I really liked Matchmaker, but I eventually got my dress from House of Couture in Hornchurch. I found both of these shops VERY helpful, with lovely staff. House of Couture is linked to New Beginnings (I think they are mother and daughter?).

I also found A White Wedding in Gidea Park lovely, but they didn't have "the one".

Steer clear of the one in Lakeside!
  • zoe1mzoe1m Posts: 216
    Bellissima all the way - the best shop ever! I had a real problem with my dress - the designer made it wrong and i don't know what i would have done without them - absolute life savers! From a newlywed, my advice would be, don't underestimate how important professional suppliers are, close to the date or when things go wrong - even if you could save £50 here and there it might not be worth it!
  • I don’t usual write reviews but this shop nearly ruined my wedding day that I feel that I need to make aware all the brides willing to go there to don’t do it - the wedding experience is one in a lifetime and you can’t take the risk to spoil that moment for some unprofessionalism. This is what happened in few words:

I bought a dress in September 2011 for my wedding in September 2012. The dress was order from them in size 14 instead of 10. (To be specified that I haven’t lost weight in between and they took 2 measurements before the order.)The dress when arrived had unaligned bones and unacceptable creases on the bodice, pulled threads - I was shocked. The shop told me that was not problem and their dress maker was going to fix it. The dress maker they gave me to do the alterations took 1 month to ruin even more my dress and then left for holiday (I paid her £85) so 2 weeks before the wedding they gave me another dress maker that in all honestly told me that she couldn’t fix it but we was willing to try. You can imagine the stress and the panic I was going through. Ultimately she were unable to fix the dress and I had to ask my husband to come and take away the dress because I was too upset I didn’t know what to do. The most important thing was ruined and I wanted to look beautiful that day especially after gave them £1000 for it. I didn’t sleep for weeks thinking of the situation I was in. The Independent Dress Maker was only able to make the dress border line useable (I paid her £85). As the dress was supplied with the wrong size and the finish was so poor.  At the end I was forced to use the dress for the wedding, much to my great disappointment.   After the wedding I tried to speak to the Shop Owner (that sold me the dress in the first place) and she didn't want to speak to me or my husband so i wrote a letter to the Shop asking some sort a refund since I paid in total more than £1000 for a dress that looked wrong but I couldn't find an alternative in such a short notice - I trusted them! Their reply was “ We are sorry but we can refund any money to you because you use an external dress maker”. The dress maker I used was suggested from them and they also said to me that if I was using somebody else I wouldn’t be covered by the shop insurance. Can you believe it? I thought to go to court but due to the fact that wedding dresses are custom goods the law is a bit complicate and I am not sure if I can win. I got pictures of before and after, I got statement from the Indipendent dress maker stating the poor quality and job done. Please follow my advise.
  • serenfserenf Posts: 14

i would stay well away from New Beginnings!!

•  

I don’t usual write reviews but this shop nearly ruined my wedding day that I feel that I need to make aware all the brides willing to go there to don’t do it - the wedding experience is one in a lifetime and you can’t take the risk to spoil that moment for some unprofessionalism. This is what happened in few words: I bought a dress in September 2011 for my wedding in September 2012. The dress was order from them in size 14 instead of 10. (To be specified that I haven’t lost weight in between and they took 2 measurements before the order.)The dress when arrived had unaligned bones and unacceptable creases on the bodice, pulled threads - I was shocked. The shop told me that was not problem and their dress maker was going to fix it. The dress maker they gave me to do the alterations took 1 month to ruin even more my dress and then left for holiday (I paid her £85) so 2 weeks before the wedding they gave me another dress maker that in all honestly told me that she couldn’t fix it but we was willing to try. You can imagine the stress and the panic I was going through. Ultimately she were unable to fix the dress and I had to ask my husband to come and take away the dress because I was too upset I didn’t know what to do. The most important thing was ruined and I wanted to look beautiful that day especially after gave them £1000 for it. I didn’t sleep for weeks thinking of the situation I was in. The Independent Dress Maker was only able to make the dress border line useable (I paid her £85). As the dress was supplied with the wrong size and the finish was so poor.  At the end I was forced to use the dress for the wedding, much to my great disappointment.   After the wedding I tried to speak to the Shop Owner (that sold me the dress in the first place) and she didn't want to speak to me or my husband so i wrote a letter to the Shop asking some sort a refund since I paid more than £1000 in total for a dress that looked wrong but I couldn't find an alternative in such a short notice - I trusted them! Their reply was “ We are sorry but we can refund any money to you because you use an external dress maker”. The dress maker I used was suggested from them and they also said to me that if I was using somebody else I wouldn’t be covered by the shop insurance. Can you believe it? I thought to go to court but due to the fact that wedding dresses are custom goods the law is a bit complicate and I am not sure if I can win. I got pictures of before and after, I got statement from the Indipendent dress maker stating the poor quality and job done. Please follow my advise.
  • Wow, scidecom, I know of so many awful stories about the staff at New Beginnings. My niece had a terrible experience with them - rude, obnoxious and sneery. The lady with the long dark hair (may be the manager) looks really smug and was overhear make awful remarks about someone who did not have a huge budget. She also waddled across the shop floor to mimick a larger lady who had left the shop. She was aware that customers were in the shop but still felt it appropriate to act. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE brides-to-be, do not go to this shop!