Converting a zip back into a lace up back?

Hi lovely ladies,

My dress has a zip at the back...and it's giving me wobbles Don't take me wrong I love it... but feel that having a lace up back will give me more flexibility to fit properly rather than the zip.

At the moment the dress nedds taking in about an inch on the boobage area, and wondered if anyone has had this done and if so does the final result look good?? is it expensive?

Is it worth it??

Thanks image

• Ms_NatalieMs_Natalie Posts: 1,997
    ooooh, that's a good question. I'm sure they will be able to do it, but I can imagine it costing a considerable amount, as multiple loops will have to be sewn into the dress. These seamstresses (sp?) are fantastic, so I'm sure it could be done. My only concern would be that it may change the shape of the dress?

I am hoping to have a sweetheart neckline put into my dress...so I'm hoping this can be done too image
  • abkbabkb Posts: 313
    My dress is a zip up and when I bought it I asked if it could be changed into a lace up back, and they said it would be no problem at all, so it can definitely be done! I have now changed my mind though and am just staying with zip up, as I don't want to faff of the lace up and will be having a long veil anyway.

I also asked if it could have a sweetheart neckline and that's not a problem for them either, which is still what I'm going to have done!
  • Jokaty82Jokaty82 Posts: 1,908
    Hi, Yes I am having both done on a potential dress. I have been quoted about £80-£90 for the back to be converted to a lace up, and about £25-£40 for the sweetheart neckline.

Both can be done and wont change the shape of the dress if you get me xx
  • Oh wow thanks ladies that makes me so happy image

Mine is a sweetheart neckline already so won't be having to do that but defo wanted the lace up image

which dress are you all having?? xx
  • Ms_NatalieMs_Natalie Posts: 1,997
    aww, that's great news...good price too! image

What dress have you got FMVS?

I've ordered Ronald Joyce, Linda in ivory. It looks nothing like the website photographs...I think a sweetheart neckline will finish it off perfectly image
  • Ms Natalie I have a sincerity Bridal, not sure what style, but if you look through my older posts you can see pictures of it image
  • From a seamstress yes it can be done. Prices vary from £50+ and there may be the additional charge for matching fabric for the loops, tie and modesty panel.

You could always keep the zip closure if you like but then have the laceup length of about 5". I've seen this done on Ian Stuarts Masquerede and it looked lovely! Will depend on your gown style. You may find that if it is too big at the boobs, you may still need that adjustment made!

HTH x
  • Hi Everyone,

Just find a company who sell a kit to convert any dress to a lace up back.  Available in a wide range of bridal fabrics and colours.  The company is Bridal covered Buttons and the kit is call Dress with Ease.  The link is http://www.bridalcoveredbuttons.co.uk/Pages/DressWithEase.aspx