Which dress designer should I look at? up to 2k budget...

Hi! Im wondering if anyone can help? I keep looking through all these magazines and seeing beautiful dresses but they never have a price! Im worried i'll fall for something far too expensive and we can't afford to go over budget! We've allowed 2k for the whole outfit and I have already spotted some beautiful shoe designs in the £100 range so I have quite a bit to play with. Id love it if I found something for under 1k as we could afford other things but I just dont know where to start looking! Help!

I think Ive come to the conclusion I wont suit floaty as I look like a stick with lumpy hips and a big princess dress would drown me so something individual yet classic...if that exists?!

• I wore an Enzoani dress which was £1495, the range goes up to 2.5k though. The Blue by Enzoani range is slightly cheaper.

Benjamin Roberts, Maggie Sottero, Tia, Mori Lee, Mon Cherie, Justin Alexander, Essence of Australia, Charlotte Balbier, Alfred Angelo, Alfred Sung, Ellis, Romantica will all be under 2k. Some Ian Stuart and Pronovias are slightly under but won't leave very much for accessories.

2k is quite a big budget so I'm sure you'll find something that you love. I hate the way the mags don't give prices.

Ones that def won't come under 2k are Suzanne Neville, most Jenny Packhams, Alan Hanna, Claire Pettibone, Caroline Castigliano, David Fielden (i think).

xx
  • Blue by Enzoani do beautiful dresses, I nearly bought one but in the end went for Maggie Sottero. Try Constantina by Benjamin Roberts too, their dresses are about £1400 to £1600+ and lovely.

The best thing to do is just try dresses on to see what styles suit you and go from there.
  • SadSack83SadSack83 Posts: 1,700
    Excellent suggestions from the girls!

Another option is sample sales if you are a 'standard' wedding dress shop size.

Mine is a Johanna Hehir, that I have been lusting after since engagement but at full price her dresses go up to £5,500 and I set an absolute maximum of £4k! I couldn't justify any more than that on a dress I will wear for less than 12 hours image

I went to their sample sale 'just to see' as my wedding 18 months away and have bought a £4k dress for £1,400! Yes, it has been tried on by other B2B but it's never been worn outside and luckily for me needs no altering! It definitely found me!

By doing this, if you have a designer you like, you get to have the quality, fit and material of a pricier dress but at a more reasonable price! So once you find a designer you like, look out for sample sales.

£2k is a good budget in my experience of trying dresses on. You will prob end up spending between £800 and £1,500. The main difference as you go up in price is the quality of the material. Also try on things you may not like in pictures/on shelves. Dresses really do look different on so try a complete range before you settle on a certain style!

Happy Dress Shopping!

http://www.johanna-hehir.com/
  • Forgot about Ronald Joyce, Phil Collins, Sophia Tolli, Victoria Jane and Sincerity, they're all under 2k.

Lauramonkey, my dress was a Constantina, they've now dropped the name and just use Enzoani. xx
  • Enzoani and blue by enzoani have a lot of choice in that price range and the quality in my opinion is amazing.

Also if you like this kind of style San Patrick is the more reasonably priced range from pronovias
  • amyyearleyamyyearley Posts: 3,442
    if I had that much money I'd go to Jenny Packham, Cymbeline or Claire Pettibone especially for classy:

although not very expensive in comparison maggie sotterro and mori lee do fantastic classic dresses and the structure and boning are incredibly flattering to 'stick' people, they are very womanly:

• Try Lusan mandongus or Anna sul y... totally lush and amazing dresses.. nothing like them.. they are around £1,500 - £1,800 and are sooo nice. google em xxx
  • MrsDMDaviesMrsDMDavies Posts: 1,794 New bride
    Ooooh I love Alan Hannah and Paloma Blanca. These both come in at the £2k mark. My dress is Paloma Blanca and was £1850 but I haggled the lady down quite a bit so was quite pleased with myself! I tried on Jenny Packham dresses but found them all too low cut and def for tall ladies (I'm only 5 ft), gorgeous dresses though and think the ones I tried were £2k and over. If you want to make the most of your budget you could look at dresses up to around £2300 and expect to pay around the £2k mark if you haggle well.

xx
  • I got married in September and was in exactly the same position. My budget was £2k but £1k would have been ideal and it seemed like the more expensive the dress the nicer it was. I ended up buying Caroline Castigliano Beautiful which was way over budget at £3k but the material was so amazing and light and made this swishing noise when I walked that I just couldn't resist! I would say that if you find one you love and it is more expensive then look for one second hand. I wish I had done that as I am now planning to sell my dress for less than half the price I paid and I would have loved to get a bargain like that. Hope you find the dress of your dreams.
  • Wow, thank you so much for your help! I had a bit of a set back after having a bad morning in a bridal shop in Lincoln. The lady was quite rude and seemed annoyed by the fact I had no idea what I wanted image Setting another shoppin trip in a few weeks so I need to get researching! I adore the skirt on the top picture Amyyearly! I think my boobs would be a bit big for the top though. Love the 3rd image, what skirt is that? Frills?Not so keen on the silver-ish one, who designed that? I'm a size 6 with a small waist and ribcage but 32D so can look a bit top heavy when though I'm only small!Caraline, I love the first designer. The dresses look very graceful! I think I've come to the conclusion lace looks naff on me and I'd need a off white (ivory makes my grey and white blends with my skin tone!). Hmm. The dress choices seem soooo endless! So overwhelmed! I really appreciate your help, it's really helping me at least see what I don't like! image
  • 2 k is loads. I was willing to pay that much but the one I liked best was 1400. Then I haggled and got it for 999. I was pleased. With that much to spend you can try on most things!
  • ChazBrideChazBride Posts: 116
    I'm rubbish at this wedding malarky?! Sorry for being so slow to respond to your wonderful help. We've been venue hunting so dress was put on hold! I think I'm figuring out my taste just from looking at all the designers you've posted. I like the bustier type top but with shape so not straight across, maybe sweetheart style? But I'm not a fan or your typical A-line, I quite like the frilly ones if that makes sense? Any ideas for designers that do that style? In my head it's quite contempory but I'm not very good at normal shopping, never mind shopping for a big white dress! image
  • warberrywarberry Posts: 431
    Quoted:
    Posted : Feb 18, 2011 05:29:18 AM

Subject: Re: Which dress designer should I look at? up to 2k budget...

Excellent suggestions from the girls!

Another option is sample sales if you are a 'standard' wedding dress shop size.

Mine is a Johanna Hehir, that I have been lusting after since engagement but at full price her dresses go up to £5,500 and I set an absolute maximum of £4k! I couldn't justify any more than that on a dress I will wear for less than 12 hours

I went to their sample sale 'just to see' as my wedding 18 months away and have bought a £4k dress for £1,400! Yes, it has been tried on by other B2B but it's never been worn outside and luckily for me needs no altering! It definitely found me!

By doing this, if you have a designer you like, you get to have the quality, fit and material of a pricier dress but at a more reasonable price! So once you find a designer you like, look out for sample sales.

£2k is a good budget in my experience of trying dresses on. You will prob end up spending between £800 and £1,500. The main difference as you go up in price is the quality of the material. Also try on things you may not like in pictures/on shelves. Dresses really do look different on so try a complete range before you settle on a certain style!

Happy Dress Shopping!

http://www.johanna-hehir.com/

Mine's a Johanna Hehir too - I got mine for £1,000 through a once-worn site; would have been over £2,500 new. image

Also love Claire Pettibone and David Fielden - both of those would be in your price range, OP!
  • Lil_Miss_HandsLil_Miss_Hands Posts: 1,194
    Have a look at Alfred Angelo. They have many under your budget and a wide range to choose from - something for everyone! I had 1136 and it was gorgeous and so well made. Their 'classic fit' is perfect for hour glass shapes!
  • lauramonkeylauramonkey Posts: 113
    The best thing to do is just go and try dresses on. Try on all styles as what you think you like generally turns out to be totally different once you get trying! It's funny how different dresses look in pictures or on the hanger!
  • xxhayleyxx1xxhayleyxx1 Posts: 1,038
    I also had a 2k budget and every dress i liked was by Justin Alexander and were under 2k, today i ordered my dress Justin Alexander and it came in at 1600 xx
    Wow, hayley, I'm in love! The dresses are fab! Do you mind me asking what you went for? My instant love was this http://www.justinalexanderbridal.com/product-detail.php?id=767&entity_id=1126 but then I am only on the first page!!! image
  • murf2bemurf2be Posts: 214
    hi Chazbride....modern, frilly dresses? Made me instantly think of Cymbeline...I never actually tried any of these on in my mammoth dress search, but they do look gorgeous....

Think they tend to average the £1500 mark.
    I went for the Justin Alexander 8484 dress i love ittt xxx
    All his dresses are gorgeous i was torn between 2 for months but finally decided on this, i have a post on here maybe on page 2 My Dress image its called and i have a pic off it on that if you want a look xxx
    xxhayleyxx1, that's amazing!!! I think it would be too big for me but I just LOVE the frills, stunning! You will have to show me the final fitting!!

Murf2b, gorgeous! Thank you so much! If only I could have the top of the 2nd one and the skirt of the first...is that fussy?image
    Struggling I'm afraid image I can't find a dress that works wonders. I have come to the conclusion that a sweetheart neckline works best but a lot of those dress come out below the hip and I'm ever so tiny so it makes my body look too long and my boobs look huge...?! One's that skim the curves look nice but not I'm not keen on fishtails either...hmm. Was it this tough for everyone? image
  • gemskatgemskat Posts: 692
    Have you looked at some Sassi Holford gowns? Might be a bit over 2k but you can get what your looking for.
  • Hi, if it helps our bridal shop opens next week in Wrexham, we stock Mon cheri and have the latest collection available online with prices to give you an idea of what's out there within your budget, we also include the first alterations free to get the dress to fit perfect!

Our website is Fairytale Dresses

I hope it helps for online window shopping!

Good luck!

Jen
  • EMKETEMKET Posts: 133
    Mine is Sassi Holford and it came in at £2150. My close seconds were a Ronald Joyce at £1500 and a Midgley & Sotterro (sp? not Maggie, must be another slightly different line of hers) at £1700.

You really can get some beautiful dresses for a lower price but if you have the budget it may be that you fall in love with one that is higher end of your budget. I set out looking for a dress for around £1k but when I tried mine on I just fell in love with it (didnt have prices on and had no idea Sassi Holford was a 'designer' as I hadnt really been looking up designer dresses or looking in mags etc!
  • MrsDiwellMrsDiwell Posts: 197
    San Patrick (my own dress design) do some gorgeous dresses and as other people have said Enzoni and Blue by enzoni are also gorgeous. I tried on loads of dresses by these 3 designers image

Couldn't resist - here is mine image - £1300