Dilemma - with pics

Well, I went and tried on another dress today, although I already have one. I was half hoping it would look awful so I could forget all about this and stick to my original dress, but I absolutely loved it. I'd love to know what you think.

This is my Benjamin Roberts 951 which I already have.

Front:

And back:

One of the things I never really liked about this dress was the train. It always felt a bit like a parachute!

So, this is the Sophia Tolli dress that I'd had my eye on and just did a 70 mile round trip to try on.

Front:

Back:

I just felt so special in it and didn't want to take it off. The only problem is, I've spent £455 on my BR dress (a bargain brand new from Ebay) and this dress is £1200!

Dilemma...

• ooh. I think i prefer the first one but the lace on the 2nd dress is gorgeous. However...you sound like you're in love with the 2nd one so....i say go for it and sell your first oneimage
  • baybii_smurfbaybii_smurf Posts: 173
    I love the way the Benjamin Roberts makes you look like you have a tiny waist, I think they both look lovely on you but i prefer the 1st.
  • NowMrsMackNowMrsMack Posts: 2,535
    Gah. I see your issue! Have you got the money the be able to comfortably afford the new dress? I personally do prefer the new one, but they both look fab on you so if you couldn't afford the new one without going into debt etc then i'd stick with the first as you do look gorgeous in that too.

Only you know your finances and can decide whether to buy it or not.

This is exactly why i'm banning myself from looking again! image
  • Clarabel1983Clarabel1983 Posts: 194
    I think they both look gorgeous on you, but i do prefer the second. I love the train! Could you maybe sell the BR dress on ebay? If it's brand new, I'm sure you could get your money back on it? x
  • shoe_gal_84shoe_gal_84 Posts: 769
    I do agree that the first makes my waist look smaller, but I just felt so much more special in the first one.

Wedding dresses don't seem to be selling that well at the minute, so not sure how I'll get on with that.

I have the budget to spend (just), but so worried about telling my partner and Mum!! This just isn't like me atall.
  • NowMrsT62011NowMrsT62011 Posts: 2,580
    Now that you have tried it on and are so happy with it, will you ever be happy in the dress you already have? If not then you need to decide if you can realistically afford the new dress. You look great in both dresses so go with your heart.
  • DuddersDudders Posts: 1,659
    Original dress hands down for me
  • I think the 1st dress looks better on you, but both are lovely.

If your heart says the 2nd dress- go with that one image

I've recently purchased my dream 2nd dress much 2 OH's annoyment image , But i kept thinking about it and loved it again when i tried it on ( I knew it was the right one ) so thought sod it hopefully i can sell 1st one image

Good luck Lizzy x
  • Maybe its just the pictures but you look so much more comfortable in the second dress image you look glowing! (The first one looks beautiful as well though) Go for the one you feel most like 'you' in. I bought my dress because I felt as comfortable in in as I would in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, hopefully I'll look a lot more glamerous in it though image
  • Also wanted to to add, I LOVE the back of the second one-is soo classy!
  • natandbennatandben Posts: 128
    Sorry but I prefer the first one, I think your figure looks amazing in it too. You have to go for the one you love though and not really listen to what other people say x
  • JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737
    I prefer the second one. I think the back of the dress is more flattering and I don't know if the difference in shade is the camera/lighting, but I prefer the colour of the second dress.

From experience, I think you have set your heart on the second dress and I wonder whether you would be happy on your big day if you stuck with your first choice (even though it is a lovely dress that does flatter your figure.) I'd say if it can be done within your budget, then go for it and just see what you can get for your other dress. Remember some adverts on preloved are actually for 'dresses wanted' and not just 'for sale'. So you could track someone down who wants that dress.
  • YOu have to think - if you wore the first one, would you love it and be happy with it? Or would you be wishing you were in dress number 2 and regretting not getting it?

If you are going to be thinking of dress 2 when wearing dress 1, then i think you have to go for it and get the second dress!

You might even be able to sell your BR dress for more than you paid...sounds like you got a bargain! image x
  • I did this mistake too!! I bought a sophia tolli dress i thought was amazing..... until like you I saw dream dress no.2 and I had to try it on and loved it completely image. I sold dress no.1 and then with the money I got for that I searched the net for a pre loved dress of my dream dress no.2 and got it for bargain price and from a beautiful clean smoke free home where I went and tried it on and I knew I had done the right thing instantly image so with a little juggling around I was'nt out of pocket. Its a ladys perogative anyway to change her mind image ps I actually love the first dress on you but it sounds you have already made your made mind up :lol you will look stunning either way x
  • Oooh love the Sophia Tolli on you, the back is so much nicer than the BR which is a little plain. You could sell both after your wedding to recoup some of the costs.
  • Love the Sophia Tolli! You have got to be happy on the day!!!
  • WoodynWebbyWoodynWebby Posts: 274
    I prefer the first one i think you look stunning and the colour suits you a lot better.

But its entirely up to you, its how you feel that counts xx
  • GemjemGemjem Posts: 270
    I love the Sophia Tolli, I think it's something a little different than the 'usual' strapless dress. But ultimately if your having doubts over your initial dress , and have finances for a new one i would start a whole new search trying loads of dresses again. You don't want to get six months down the line and fall in love with another one...

Ps I tried lizbeth on myself , it's an amazing dress! I love the fabric , it felt much better quality than a lot of the other dresses i tried
  • 2nd one much better. you need to go with the one you feel best in,, if you don't you'll regret it

xx
  • HappyHippy85HappyHippy85 Posts: 184
    I'm afraid I have to go along with those who love the 2nd one more - the first one isn't so flattering to you from the back angle; with the second one you get a bit of an optical illusion from the back which is really flattering and beautiful to look at. I do love the first one but I think it swamps you a little bit - am guessing you are a bit of a shortie, like me? The wonderful thing about the 2nd one is the back as I've said - something that happens throughout the course of the wedding is that you can get a bit of a 'lower shelf' as your dress starts to move downwards in the heat, I had it and was so upset when I saw back shots of my dress, to be brutal I think with the first dress, the same thing would happen to you...hopefully there might be someone else on here who can put it more technically than I can, sorry if that seems really rude or that I'm saying you're fat, no way!, but I've seen the back shelf thing happen so many times --- with the second dress, because there is so much material there and the side bit, you'd never get this so it will create a wonderful photo from the back.

Also have to agree with the poster that said that you look so much more comfortable in the 2nd photo. Another thing to consider is the whiteness of the BR dress can sometimes look harsh in photos taken from a distance, whereas because the ST is a different material, it will look much better in the photos and probably move a bit better as well. YOu'll also feel a lot more comfy with a smaller, heavier train because it will move better - the BR one will get spoiled, believe me, I had a 9ft train and it got so ruined I'll never be able to sell it now, yes they look amazing but they're so impractical.

In short, if you can find a way to make it so you can have the ST, do it. Hopefully you'll only ever get this one chance to have your dream dress x
  • BabsMelonBabsMelon Posts: 983
    It's your decision but I prefer the 2nd one. You also look so much more comfortable and happy in it. You're only going to get the chance to wear it once so go with the one that will make you happiest. x
  • shoe_gal_84shoe_gal_84 Posts: 769
    Thanks so much everyone. No-one has offended me, it's just great to hear people's opinions.

Yes, with the BR dress, the first pic was in the shop and the second pic is my actual dress, at my Mum's.

I told my partner all this last night and he wasn't too impressed, but said that as long as we can afford it, then I can do what I want. Also told my Mum and she was fine with it, I then sent her the photos through and she went really quiet. I know that she prefers the first dress, but has said that it's my decision and she will go along with whatever I want.

Decisions, decisions...
  • pixiedonpixiedon Posts: 5
    Follow your heart! I'm not sure I can afford to follow mine after falling in love with Watters 'Sydney' but I cried when I saw it and couldn't sleep last night for thinking about it!!

Who says a bride needs to be rational?! If you can afford it, list your BR on ebay and get the dress you love. Someone else is bound to love your BR dress.
  • BiffsWifeBiffsWife Posts: 820
    follow your heart - I did exactly the same thing. Spent £1200 on a maggie sottero (now on ebay) then fell in love with a mori lee dress.

I knew i wouldnt feel happy on my wedding day in the maggie, so I followed my heart and went with the second xx
  • MrsBrownToBeMrsBrownToBe Posts: 297
    Our opinions on the dress don't really matter. This is YOUR special day and you should feel amazing and if the first doesn't make you feel like that then don't wear it!

You don't want to be distracted on the day by feeling unhappy in your dress, you want to savor every moment. You want to look back at photos in years to come and remember having a fantastic day, you don't want to look back and think 'If only I'd gone for the dress that made me feel better'.

If you've got the budget, I'd say DO IT. Be happy because this is such a big day for you both!

Hope this helps??