I collected my BM dresses today!

They were 2 months early!  Really pleased to have them though- with 7 months or so to go it's all been a bit quiet on the planning front so picking up the BM dresses today renewed my excitement! image

I'm chuffed to bits with them image

Just panicking about them fitting ok/ getting alterations done now.............hopefully one of the girls will be able to try on her dress this weekend and another one in the next week or so; they should only need very minor alterations, and hopefully haven't put on any weight since being measured! The third bridesmaid is 8 months pregnant so no chance of trying her dress on!  My future SIL's dress will need quite a bit of altering (which I expected) though- it needs to be hemmed from floor length to tea length and she'll need it taking in a lot on the bust and possibly the neckline re-shaping a bit as it's a sweetheart and just far too big at the moment.  We had to order that size for her waist and hip measurements though; for some reason Dessy make their dresses massive on top- it was the same for me when I was a BM a couple of years ago, which is weird as having 34H boobs means I normally have to order up a couple of sizes!

• SP2013SP2013 Posts: 857

That's exciting, can't believe they were early! Who is doing the alterations? The shop or did you have to source out someone else? I love pistachio as a colour, you should put some pics up, have you got a planning thread? I'm sure I haven't spotted one?!?

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

No, I don't have a planning thread image  I will do a wedding report with lots of planning details in I think instead.....................

I'll post some pics of the dresses now image

I'll probably go with the seamstress the bridal shop suggested; because she doesn't work for them she's actually really (surprisingly) reasonable, and the bridal shop has a fantastic reputation so I trust their recommendation.  Logistics is the problem to be honest- I'm in Shropshire and SIL lives near Portsmouth, so could be tricky.........image

These are the dresses (not in these colours though)

This dress will be longer: more of a tea-length

This one will have a halter added, but will be knee-length as in the pic

This one will be slightly longer: tea-length like the first dress

Well at least they are early so you have plenty of time to get SIL fitted I guess, better than it being rushed. Oooooooooo I already can't wait for your wedding report then, I think it will be great!

So are they all in different dresses, I love them! I really like the style of the pink one at the bottom, and the green one at the top is a very close 2nd for me! They are gorgeous! Were they expensive?

The dress on the right of this pic shows you the material & colour I've gone for:

Edited to say if you click on the pic you can see it much more closely!

SP2013 wrote (see)

So are they all in different dresses, I love them! I really like the style of the pink one at the bottom, and the green one at the top is a very close 2nd for me! They are gorgeous! Were they expensive?

Yes, all in different dresses!  They range from size 12-18 and are aged 19-35 years with very different tastes so it was just easier to let them pick their own!

I love number 4 too- I think it's everyone's fave- but number 2 and 3 are the sorts of dresses that look a lot better on.

Erm.......the Alfred Sung ones are around £50 cheaper than 'regular' Dessy dresses, put it that way.  Because my bridesmaids are spread around the country they tried their dresses on in lots of bridal shops and I was really surprised that every shop priced the dresses differently, so worth shopping around!  I paid £130-£170 for each dress, and they gave me £40 off as I ordered 4 dresses.

The biggest problem is finding stockists, as not all Dessy retailers carry the Alfred Sung line.  Also, even though there are 100+ styles in the collection, each shop will only have around 10 at most, usually in a size 10!!!!

SP2013 wrote (see)

Well at least they are early so you have plenty of time to get SIL fitted I guess, better than it being rushed.

Very true!

SP2013 wrote (see)

Oooooooooo I already can't wait for your wedding report then, I think it will be great!

Thank you image x

I love that they are all in different dresses but tied together by the same colour! At least you got some discount, but it sounds like its like shopping for a wedding dress, they are all made for models and not real girls! I will definitely be getting my girls to try on these dresses though, I love them!

SP2013 wrote (see)

sounds like its like shopping for a wedding dress, they are all made for models and not real girls! I will definitely be getting my girls to try on these dresses though, I love them!

Definitely- it's so off-putting when all the sizes are teeny!  I know it gets said over and over again but it's bloody annoying!  Bridal shops think they've come a long way by stocking plus size dresses, but if you're inbetween a size 10 and a 24 (like me and most of the population) it's unlikely you'll be able to try on one dress that actually fits!

Definitely try them- the dupioni fabric and colour-range is gorgeous!

And don't be put off by some of the styles that have a ruched waist like this one:

They're soooooo unflattering and make a beanpole look like she's got huge hips!

Also, the peau de soie fabric is horrid- creases really easily and looks like shellsuit material from circa 1980!

Finally (!) you can order most of the styles in extra length, which is fab if you have some taller girlies or prefer calf-length rather than knee-length.  Most bridal shops didn't mention this to me so thought I'd pass that on! x

Oooooo thanks for all the tips, funnily enough I will avoid the shell suit material  not been my thing for a long time! Too long to remember! Will let you know how I get on, we are shopping for their dresses in two weeks! Thanks x

SP2013 wrote (see)

Oooooo thanks for all the tips, funnily enough I will avoid the shell suit material  not been my thing for a long time! Too long to remember! Will let you know how I get on, we are shopping for their dresses in two weeks! Thanks x

No problem image  Oooooh, yes, be good to hear how you get on x