Dresses WITH straps

It seems that strapless wedding dresses are extremely popular with designers, however with not having a big bust but still being slim, I'd feel more comfortable with a dress that has straps.

Something like this maybe: http://www.lovemydress.net/.a/6a0120a65f64b9970c0168e500d656970c-popup

Do wedding shops stock many of these types of dresses?

• Hi, when I went dress shopping the shops told me all dresses come with straps it's just brides choose not to have them so most sample dresses don't have them on but can be put on if you would like them adding to your dress.

There was a few dresses with straps available when I tried dresses on but the majority where startles, I originally wanted straps as I am slim with a big bust bit when I tried them on I ended up with one with a sweet heart neckline which was quite flattering xx
  • Hi MissP, Pronovias has some dresses from their 2013 collection that have straps, it might be worthwhile checking them out x

• I wanted something with straps too, and I was told that the majority of strapless designs can have straps added to them - just tell the assistant that you don't want strapless and they will let you know what can be done. I also second the Pronovias suggestion; I tried on a few of those and they were beautiful.

• MissPMissP Posts: 68

Ooh, I didn't know that straps could be added image

I'm looking at the Pronovias now and they are stunning!

• heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848

The dress in in the OP is absolutely stunning!

When I was dress shopping I found a complete lack of dresses with straps, I was quite disheartened about the whole thing and although you can get straps added to any dress, I think if it's been designed with the straps as part of the look you can tell, rather than just straps added on as an after thought

MrsBrown2Be2013 wrote (see)
    Hi, when I went dress shopping the shops told me all dresses come with straps it's just brides choose not to have them so most sample dresses don't have them on but can be put on if you would like them adding to your dress.

That's just not true, all dresses can be altered to have straps but not all come with straps as standard

I think a lot of shops say things like that because they actually have very little choice apart from strapless and they're trying to convince people that's what they should have (cynicalimage )

• anon23anon23 Posts: 140

My dress has straps.. its from romantica of devon.. there are quite a few from their collection with straps

If I'm honest, I'd like one designed with straps - this one is lovely.

• Pronovias dresses are gorgeous image mine is Pronovias Upsala.. (without the cape) image They have quite a few dresses with straps and the boutique where I got mine said I could have straps added if I wanted to (it's strapless) x

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058
    heliganeden wrote (see)
    Hi, when I went dress shopping the shops told me all dresses come with straps it's just brides choose not to have them so most sample dresses don't have them on but can be put on if you would like them adding to your dress.

That's just not true, all dresses can be altered to have straps but not all come with straps as standard

I think a lot of shops say things like that because they actually have very little choice apart from strapless and they're trying to convince people that's what they should have (cynicalimage )

I agree; maybe all dresses come with those stupid little shoestring straps but they're not really any good for anything!

I was adamant I wanted a dress with straps- partly because everyone (it seems) has strapless and mostly because I thought I would feel more comfortable on account of my big boobs!  Anyway, I actually fell in love with a strapless dress (which is no surprise as 95% of weding dresses are strapless!) and so despite my initial feelings that's what I've ended up with.  I also agree with the comment re. adding straps being tricky as ideally you want them to look like they're meant to be there; also, some necklines (in my opinion) just don't look right with straps.  For these reasons I've decided not to add straps to my dress.  The corsetry is amazing though and I'm confident that even I don't need to wear a bra though I'll probably wear a strapless one anyway just for my own peace of mind!  I've decided to wear a bolero though, just because I like the look of sheer lace, in the form of straps or bolero. x

• MrsT2013MrsT2013 Posts: 536

my dress also has straps

What is the price range for a Pronovias dress? image

• Around £900 - £3000 I think , athough you can get sample dresses for £300 upwards.  If you are looking at Pronovias I would suggest going to a boutique that stocks other designers as well and avoid the actual Pronovias boutiques (Bond Street) as they tend to charge for appointments and I've heard their service is very poor and the assistants are very rude.  i'm not sure where you are based but my dress is from Teokath in Wimbledon, the are fantastic and would highly recommend them.  They had a huge range of Pronovias and lots of other designers.  I wanted something elegant and sophisticated in chiffon as we are getting married abroad, I love my dress so much it's ridiculous!  I can't wait for it to arrive in Feb image xx

Well, my budget would be around the £300 mark. image

Our wedding isn't until early 2015 but I'd still like to get an idea of whats out there.

• I had straps added to mine. There are some photos in my report, if you'd like some inspiration:

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/newlyweds/our-september-wedding--pictures-supplier-reviews-and-things-for-sale/377963.html
  • heliganeden wrote (see)

Thanks i always wondered how they would add straps to a dress that was desinged without straps and make it look good image Bloody wedding dress shop assistants lol image

heliganeden wrote (see)

The dress in in the OP is absolutely stunning!

When I was dress shopping I found a complete lack of dresses with straps, I was quite disheartened about the whole thing and although you can get straps added to any dress, I think if it's been designed with the straps as part of the look you can tell, rather than just straps added on as an after thought

Jodielou wrote (see)
     I've decided to wear a bolero though, just because I like the look of sheer lace, in the form of straps or bolero. x

Thats what im going to do aslong as the dress shop ive bought my dress from has the bolero that goes with my dress

• oh2bmrsjoh2bmrsj Posts: 569

miss p - i love the dress in the first post image

• anon23anon23 Posts: 140
    Have a look at debenhams, monsoon, bhs and littlewoods..they all do wedding dresses..more often than not with straps and likely to be in ur budget...having said that mine wasn't much more...it was a last of the line shop sample...
    I'm making a short list of dresses and will be keeping an eye out to see if any pop up over the next two years, either per-loved or end of line - it sounds desperate I know!

oh2bmrsj - it's a Justin Alexander 8353 dress!
    Brilliant, if a little out of my price range!

It's good to see that there are some out there image
  • oh2bmrsjoh2bmrsj Posts: 569

hiya

i can not recomend this site as i havent used it but ive just come across it and thought it may help ?

http://www.indesigngown.com/wedding-dresses-empire-goods-c73.html

• LittleRed_10LittleRed_10 Posts: 1,453

I'm barely 5"4 and a size 6. Boobs in proportion to the rest of me but neither big or small and this is my dress (NOT me in it though!!!)

• Also maybe try phase eight, they have a beautiful bridal range similar in style to your original post. I also remember seeing a spread a while back in YAYW which was all dresses from house of Fraser - it was shot in the woods and all the dresses were just gorgeous.

Good luck! X x x
  • JolinJolin Posts: 14

I still like the strapless dress. Perhaps I think it's more sexy? I always think  dresses with straps are too ordinary.

Some great suggestions, girls!

Jolin, I understand what you're saying. I have the opposite opinion though - I think strapless dresses are overdone (for want of a better word). Don't get me wrong, there are some stunning strapless dresses and I did want one originally but I know I'd feel more comfortable in something with straps.

This dress is still my favourite so far:

• LouBLouB Posts: 1,129 New bride

Totally agree, MissP! The first shop I went in barely had any with straps, and although I do think there are some gorgeous strapless ones around, I had a feeling I didn't want strapless. Felt like it's what most people wear, and it doesn't always suit! Luckily a dress I fell in love with just from scouring the web is the one I'm going to get! Trying it on again this weekend to check, at a shop that have it closer to my size. This is it:

That's lovely, LouB!

Here are some more I found with google images:

LittleRed_10 - what do they call that neckline? I think the lace is lovely!

• LouBLouB Posts: 1,129 New bride

Gorgeous! I tried on a few - think I might have tried on LittleRed_10's - is it Justin Alexander? Here are some I tried:

I also liked this, but never found it in a shop!

And this one is quite nice: