Are you having a bustle put in your dress?

Afternoon all, So I have my first dress fitting on Monday, so they can check for alterations etc. When I ordered the dress they said they could put me a bustle thing on the dress, or a hand strap sewn underneath to hold the back up. I cant decided which one, if any to have! What are you all doing with your dresses? Ps, it's not huge at the back, but there is some "train-age" on it! It's an annais bridal nicola dress

• I'm having two loops sewn in so it can be sort of rouched up. Guess that's a kind of bustle is it?

Going with that rather than hand loop so I can dance like a demon and because I'm already nervous of spilling on it and think that might be more likely with a wrist tie.

Mine's chiffon so not heavy but there is significant trainage to itimage
  • misslocketmisslocket Posts: 686

I've opted for a bustle rather than a hand strap- I didn't really want to be carrying it around, plus the lady in the bridal shop said you'd be able to see a lot of the underside of the dress with a strap. I'd rather just have it tucked up out of the way at the back so I can get on with mingling and dancing! Plus, i'm clumsy at the best of times, I can just imagine myself making a grand sweeping gesture with my hand and knocking over a load of drinks or something with the attached bit of dress! Or worse still, setting fire to myself with a candle... Xx

• MrsJCMrsJC Posts: 2,204

Mine has a similar amount of trainage to yours, Princess - I'm going to get it bustled, so that I dance properly in the evening - but I'm going to leave it down for as long as I can, because frankly, how often in my life am I going to get to wear a dress with a train??

• KVS87KVS87 Posts: 78 New bride

I've opted for a bustle, much neater on my dress image

• h59helenh59helen Posts: 171
    I think I got a bustle? She put a lil loop in the middle of the train which is attached to all the layers and a button inside the bottom of the lace up it hangs really nice and hangs up in seconds x
  • I have two tiny little loops on the various layers, one attaches to the buttons on the back, and another attaches to a tiny little button that is hidden under a flap of lace.

Even if I don't end up bustling it, I at least have the option, so if I were you I'd get the loops put in then you have the choice. The loops are really so tiny you cam't see them

• mrshughes2013mrshughes2013 Posts: 2,063
    Mines a fishtail and I'm going for a bustle

Easier,tidier and less fuss!
  • I have a bustle because I thought it may pull on my wrist a bit and may become uncomfortable especialy if it is hanging off my wrist all night. The bustle means that it is out of the way for dancing, etc 

• I am also opting for a bustle. My train is too long and heavy for a hand strap to work or look good.
  • MrsBeau2BMrsBeau2B Posts: 1,513

I have been debating this.. my dress has a very long train, lots of layers of tulle too.. but looks horrible bustled! I think i will have a wrist strap put on, but am planning to just go with it and leave it down. Am fully expecting it to be trodden on, but like someone else said, when else will i get to wear a dress with a train so i may as well make the most of it! image

• Tigso1987Tigso1987 Posts: 647
    Hiya you're the one from Hull right? Did she say she will charge to put it on your dress? Think mine is due in next month and I'm thinking about it x
  • Mrs M xMrs M x Posts: 259
    Hi Tigso,

I actually cant remember if she said she'd charge or not to be honest, she just said they could do it.

I'll find out on Monday though when I go for my first fitting.

You were asking how long the annais dresses take to come in, well mine has taken almost exactly 12 weeks, but it was put through on a priority order.
  • iambiciambic Posts: 103
    I liked the idea of a hoop so I could hold my dress up but the lady in the shop said it can be annoying as you only really have one hand free then to drink, hug people etc. plus she said when you've been walking around with your train down most of the day, it gets pretty filthy underneath & with a hoop lifting the outer layers up, you may be able to see that. So I think I'll go for a bustle, just hope it's a discreet one, not one that makes me feel like I have an enormous backside or something! x
  • mrskg2013mrskg2013 Posts: 1,192
    Not sure if Il need one for my dress?!

It doesn't have a big train or anything,

What do you think?

I'm thinking for having an underskirt to keep it away from my legs and look fuller.. Do I need a bustle too?

• MrsBeau2b my dress had layers of tulle (Pronovias Jennifer), my dressmaker attached a piece of ribbon which was supposed to be fed through small holes in the layers and come out through a small hole hidden in my lace appliqu?? to then be tied up to a button inside below my laces. I had 4 folk at the back of my dress for 30+ minutes trying to find the holes and in the end couldn't do it, someone ended up standing on my dress and ripped a huge chunk of tulle away along the bottom of my train and it also ripped a hole further up near my laces, be careful how your dressmaker does the bustle and make sure people know how to do it as I am heartbroken my dress is wrecked image x
  • Mrs M xMrs M x Posts: 259
    Mrskg, thats about the same length of train as on my dress, and I think I am now swaying towards having the bustle thing put on, but may not actually fasten it up. I'll see how I feel on the night
    Il ask at the dress shop when I go for my fitting once its in. Il see what they say. it's prob a good thing to have a bustle attached, I'd be devastated if someone stood on my dress and ripped it!

• I think you would be best with something mrskg, I underestimated just how far my train stuck out! What sort of music will you be dancing to? We had some ceilidh and I think a lot of damage was caused then!x
    We are having 'power of love' by Gabrielle Aplin! Totally love this song, and it means more because it was h2b that chose it for our first dance. He normally just agrees with all my decisions regarding the wedding so it was nice that he made the decision on the first dance song.