To veil or not to veil

I wondered what everyone's thoughts are on wearing a veil at your wedding. There are so many choices it is quite overwhelming! Do you think a veil is a must-have or are you going without? What sort of veil are you having with your dress or what are you going to have instead if you have decided to go without?

i am a bit torn about the whole veil thing. I don't think/am not sure if it is my style and have pretty much settled on a diamanté/pearl hair clip instead, but my wedding is the only chance I will have to ever wear a veil. It's a tough one!

What are your thoughts?

• MrsBeau2BMrsBeau2B Posts: 1,513

Its a must for me - although it feels a bit odd to wear one! I think i will only wear it for ceremony and a few pics as its a very full, chapel length one and might get annoying.

Try a few on and see - maybe a simple ione tier one would be best if you are unsure?

• Tigso1987Tigso1987 Posts: 647

I'm wearing a short one but its not going over my face or anything, it's just going at the back of my head. It's more decorative and completes the outfit I think!

• CetaceaCetacea Posts: 654

I wasn't sure about a veil before either but figured I might as well try them on and I think as soon as I had the first one on, I was sold on it! I'm thinking about having two now actually!

I've bought one floor length one for the ceremony: Intrigue by Rainbow Club which is very simple, single tier, plain, no embellishment. I tried on one two tier because I'd seen very romantic looking pictures of brides wearing it over their head but instantly knew it wasn't for me when she put it on. It completely took away from the dress and I felt like a nun!

I'm considering buying a birdcage veil for the evening I loved them when I tried them on and I think they look really fun but just about preferred the romantic look of the full length ones. Looking forward to all the fun pictures you can take with the the long veil too! 

• oh2bmrsjoh2bmrsj Posts: 569

nope im not having a veil never even crossed my mind to have one !

• nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253

i wouldnt not have a veil, it finishes the outfit to me. im only having a single tierd one though so it stays well out the way and is not going over my face

• annacwcannacwc Posts: 803

I just tried on my dress and I went with a veil - when else will  get to wear one!! Made my outfit feel complete especially as I am not having much jewellery,

• JJ2013JJ2013 Posts: 628

Veils were my favourite part of dress shopping! I have a long one for the ceremony and a short one for the eve instead of a tiara or decorative thing. I love wearing it and I figured it's a real once in a lifetime thing to wear. I tried one over my face but I felt claustrophobic x 

• MrsM2014MrsM2014 Posts: 223

I'm not having a veil. I had one the first time round but decided not to this time as it seems a bit false.

• FranitaFranita Posts: 487

I'm going to go against the grain and say I'm not wearing one- and in fact I really don't like them! I personally would feel like I was playing dress up so instead I'm just going to have really good hair! 

• RedfiRedfi Posts: 103

I don't think I will be wearing a veil either. I felt like an idiot when I was in the bridal shop trying them on. Plus my dress has loads of detail so i don't think I need one image 

• I'm having one and if I get annoyed with it taking it off having said that want to make part of my veil into christening blanket (if I'm blessed of course) but that's the romantic in me x

• MrsKGMrsKG Posts: 403

Some good points about veils. Maybe I will have to try one on but I'm wearing a tea length dress and not sure it will suit it. 

I know what you mean Franita about playing dress up, though! I'm just not sure it's "me"

blushing and panicking - aw that is such a lovely idea to get part of your veil made into a christening blanket x

• I'm sloppy I know but I just thought was I'm doing the lace veil thing image anyways that's miles off yet I need to get hitched first !!

If you don't like full on veils those vintage net veils are over pretty pretty know the little ones. Always thought they looked amazing xx

• LollybearLollybear Posts: 548

I am hoping to wear my Mothers veil which she has kept for the 50 years since my parents got married! I know my Dad will love lifting it off my face when we get to the front of the Church so its more something I am doing for the two of them than for me. I will probably take it off after the service though. 

• jsl298jsl298 Posts: 38

I wasn't going to wear one but when the shop assistant plonked one on my head I actually thought it finished the dress off nicely. Its a finger tip length one with 2 layers but I dont want it over my face (it made me feel claustrophobic) and I dont want it round my face either but pushed behind me it looked nice.

I think it all depends on your dress and the type of wedding you want.

• heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848

No I didn't wear one, not really my style and didn't go with my dress either - I did try a couple on just because but I felt a bit daft 

• ahh you're so right, you wouldn't think the "how to wear veil" is such a big question, but it totally is! I'm thinking of having a bird cage veil incorporating my mother's old bridal broach! I got the idea from fello brides on wedding.choisr.com .....I uploaded my dress and other brides suggested products and styles to fit! really helpful website!

good luck girl! X

• Carly57Carly57 Posts: 682

I'm not wearing one, I didn't even try one on. I think if I was going the whole hog of having it over my face walking down the aisle of a big church, I'd have considered it but it's not very me, my dress or my venue's style.

I think we're super lucky now as pretty much anything goes when it comes to weddings so you can keep traditions you like and not ones you don't with just a few raised eyebrows to contend with image x

• im not wearing one but if i was going to i would wear a bird cage veil!