Finding 'the dress'

So I tried on my first wedding dresses today! Went to 2 shops, 2 very different experiences. First shop was with my dad & sis & I tried on about 7/8 dresses, basically worked on getting an idea of what I liked or didn't like. Nothing wowed me but a couple looked nice. Second shop was with some friends and they literally had me trying on every dress in the shop! I didn't mind because it gave me the chance to try more styles & decide what was good/not so good! There were 2 shop assistants in this shop so it was a quick turn around from one dress to the next but most of them I was quite quick to decide that it wasn't 'the one'. All together I got pics of 5 dresses today that at the time I felt were nice but not WOW. Both shops suggested looking online now I know a bit more about the styles I liked but I am feeling pretty overwhelmed image!! Got another appointment booked next Sat but am worrying I'm not going to find one that wows me...did other people have similar experiences?! image

• MrsMcG2beMrsMcG2be Posts: 402

My dress initially didn't wow me, I knew I wasn't going to be a bursting into tears kinda girl anyway. I did find 3 dresses I liked in the first shop though and I LOVED the service and after shopping about a bit I realised I kept thinking about one of the dresses. I went back put it on and swished about without wanting to take it off so that was it, it was mine! But I am having it altered, I have rubbish skin on my upper arms and since it's a winter wedding I figured I would get the dress customised to suit the weather/my crappy skin sooo I'm getting an illusion neckline added with 3/4 length sleeves using the same lace as the dress and while I love the dress now I know I am going to freak out when I see everything done and it's so me!

Oh and while I didn't cry my friends did haha, I think you will def find the dress, you might have already and if you don't maybe look at having one altered or made? Don't worry yet though, still early days! 

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

I found mine in the 3rd shop I went to and it was the 16th dress I tried. I *thought* I'd found it in the first shop (I think it was number 9) but still kept my other appointments. I too felt unsure as what I thought I liked just didn't suit me so I had to go outside my comfort zone. My dress was given to me by the assistant to try; I dismissed it as I thought the skirt was too big but she told me to try it as I might be able to pull it off as I'm tall - I tried it and had the lightning bolt moment!

You will find it - don't worry! 

• BekhaGBekhaG Posts: 584 New bride

Hi MrsBailey2be I had no real idea what sort of dress I wanted or would like, I just knew what I defo didn't want!! On my 1st dress shopping trip I tried about 4/5 styles in one shop. On my next trip I went to 3 shops and between them tried 22 dresses on!! By that point id tried on virtually all available styles and nothing had wowed me.

I felt a little sad because I was worried I wasn't going to find anything I liked in my budget. I reviewed everything I'd tried on so far and thought back to one I'd tried on in the 1st shop. I went back and tried it on again and loved it!! I felt so pretty and gorgeous in it, plus it was fun swishing the skirt about image I think id didn't realise how much id liked it until id seen what else was out there.

Dont panic, you will find something image

• Thanks ladies, feeling a lot better about it today and actually really excited to try on more dresses image Started off yesterday a bit anxious about it all & by the end of the day a bit worried that nothing would wow me but now feel like I have a better idea of what I'd like, just a case of finding it! Still got a few months before I need to be worrying about ordering one (getting married next July) so I'll just enjoy trying on lots of pretty dresses until I find it image

• Argh how much can change in a month lol! So been to another 4 shops now (6 in total!) tried on A LOT of dresses & feeling pretty deflated now. One shop the lady was brilliant but the dresses weren't quite right- one was close but I didn't like the detail and another gave me a new direction to look in but wasn't 'the one'. Found a similar one at another shop that was much better- keep thinking about it but can't stop thinking about the one from the other shop that I liked the style but not the detail! Been searching everywhere to find a plain version or one with different detail so I can either rule it out or know that it is the right one. Can't find one and now really torn about what to do...I could go for the one I saw last weekend which I keep thinking about it but worried I'll always wonder if the other style would have been better if I'd been able to find it! ARGH!

Sorry bit of a rant but getting quite deflated trying on so many but not being able to find this one style to know whether it's right or not!

Do you have a pic of the one that has come closest so far? Maybe we could help, if we know of any that are similar? xx

• I knew straight away that i definitely wanted a full length long sleeved lace dress with a high-ish neckline, i visited 3 shops and none of them had any at all, i was literally going to have a breakdown! So I tried on various other styles but nothing wowed me at all and I didn't think I was ever going to find the perfect dress, until the 3rd store i went to managed to locate my dream dress i saw online in a store 25 miles away and i went to try it on and knew straight away it was the one and ordered it, now I can't wait for it to arrive and wear it on my big day, eek!

Good plan VicN2B...I like the shape and the material but not the detail on it image

The first dress I thought of straight away was Alfred Angelo's Rapunzel from their Disney collection (as I thought it was my dream dress... how wrong I was, it didn't suit me at all!) - what do you think? Still too much detail? The skirt isn't exactly the same either but similar I think xx

Also the one in your pic reminds me of Maggie Sottero gowns - have you looked at their 'fit and flare' gowns? 

• Thanks! I have tried ones similar to the first pic but where the skirt flares out a bit higher it's not quite what I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure I have tried the second one- if not it was a very similar one but the lace under the tulle was quite shiny which put me off. Maybe I'm just being too fussy?! When I tried the dress on I thought it'd be easy to find a plainer version- oh how wrong I was!

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

How about this?  doesn't have the assymetric hem but otherwise similar?  It's Blu by Mori Lee 5108.

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

There are also lots of nice ones around with ruffly bottoms if you like that sort of thing? http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=4MD888&page=0&pageSize=36&attrib30=332&attrib28=263&keywordText=

• Not too keen on the ruffles but that Mori Lee one looks spot on! Now to find someone nearby selling it...thank you image

• Just realised I tried to try that Mori Lee one on in one shop but they'd sold the only one they had! Have emailed another stockist so fingers crossed they have it.

• Fran7Fran7 Posts: 78

Where are you - I can highly recommend Glamourous Gowns in Surrey for Mori Lee dresses?!

http://www.glamourousgowns.co.uk/store/mori_lee_5108