How soon is too soon?!

Hi all,

Wedding date is all set for June 2017. Now when do I start dress shopping..?

I've been putting off thinking about it as it fills me with dread - I hate shopping and have no idea what I want... But now my bridesmaids/MOH are starting to ask when we can go dress shopping. Is it too soon??

Thank you

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,609 New bride

I'm getting married in June 2017 and I bought my dress 2 months ago! Okay, I was kind of early- I didn't intend to buy it that soon! I would start looking soon if I was you. Most stores want at least 9 months to order the dress and for alterations- so if you start in the next couple of months you will have a good amount of time to look around and decide.

• Mrs17Mrs17 Posts: 792 New bride

Thanks Sammykate - that makes sense. I might make that appointment after all!

I have actually been stalking your planning thread, which caught my eye after HTB and I viewed the Hare and Hounds (gorgeous venue!). I absolutely love your dress too!!

• Zoe18Zoe18 Posts: 12

Hi...I'm getting married this August but have only just purchased my dress...I left it rather late as I couldn't pin one down! I started looking about a year ago just to get ideas - until you try them on it's hard to say what you might like - they all look so different once you get them on.

My advice - plan a nice day with your bridesmaids / MOH and enjoy trying a few on to get a feel of what you might want. It will give you something to look forward to and there's nothing wrong with trying on some pretty dresses! I'd aim to have one bought about 9 months before your date - there will be new collections out so try them all!! You can always go back to one if you fall in love - enjoy the magic of it!

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

Hi,

I feel the same as you MrsLloyd2b, my wedding is in May 2017 and I really don't want to go dress shopping...mainly because I am soooo fussy I may find something I love now and go for it but I just know that I will change my mind and see something better from now until then! but like others have said, dress shops can require 9 months to a year and you have no idea how long it will take you to find THE dress!!

I am going to start looking in March and just enjoy myself, at least if you start now you can see what styles you may wish to totally rule out! xx

Wow - I'd definitely be stressing if I left it that late Zoe18! Limited time to change your mind though, and exciting that you only have 6 months before you get to wear it properly.

Mrs_G_2b_x it's so nice that there are other people out there who feel the same way! I was beginning to think I was a bit odd haha.

Thank you both - 9 months seems to be the magic number! Great advice regarding looking at it as a nice girly day out, rather than letting it build up and putting pressure on myself. I'll definitely be taking your advice on that! xx

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

If you are buying a made-to-order gown, yes, you could be looking at a 9 month lead time on it from the designer. But there are tons of other options that don't take nearly that long: off-the-peg, high street shoppes, Etsy, sample sales, etc. 

I personally wouldn't look until about 9-12 months out at the absolute earliest. I'd say nearly everyone who buys "too early" experiences a significant amount of dress wobbles, mainly because they have so much more time to doubt their decision and to snoop around on newer/ other styles. Just about every lady I've seen on this forum selling an unused dress is doing so because she bought very early and then changed her mind and found a style she liked better. This typically means selling the original dress for a loss.

It's just something to think about.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't spend the next 6 months clipping magazine photos and creating a Pinterest board. If you can get some ideas of what you like and don't, that's great. Also, if you have your heart set on a designer gown, it gives you time to find out if that designer is in your price range: if not, you can start looking for a pre-loved dress by the same designer or a designer "knock-off." 

• I'm getting married in April 2017 and bought my dress last week. It was in a sample sale though so I had to be quick because else it would have gone. I know I won't find anything else like it so I feel confident :) xx

Thanks Kitten - sounds like you've 'been there, done that'! I gave my first choice of shop a call at lunchtime based on advice from some of the lovely ladies above, and found their appointment time is approximately 8 weeks wait anyway, so have made an appointment, but it will be 13 months out by then anyway :) and the 8 weeks will give me time to have a better idea of what I'm after.

How lucky to get your perfect dress in a sample sale Violet2017 I'm really hoping I get to see some pics of all these dresses on planning threads in the coming months.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,609 New bride

Oh thanks MrsLloyd! Have you decided on your venue yet? Did you go with the Hare and Hounds?

To be honest you are sensible to wait a bit on choosing the dress- as Kitten says, there is a big risk of changing your mind when you buy really early. Unfortunatley I am way too impulsive and couldn't resist the 10% off my dress during a designer day! I do completley love my dress, but I also regret buying so soon as that means I have to be really good and not look at any more dresses for the next 16 months... sigh.

As you have viewed the Hare and Hounds, I'm guessing you live in the area? I so I can totally reccommend Lauren Charlotte in Cheltenham as a bridal store- that's where my dress is from! Even if you're not looking to buy right now, it was the nicest bridal store experience I had- no pressure, no snooty sales people and a relaxed atmosphere. It would be a great place for you to start off your dress shopping!

We have decided on our venue - we are having the ceremony in Caldicot Castle, with the reception in The Old Barn Inn (Llanmartin). We loved the Hare and Hounds, but found it to be just a little bit too far in terms of travel time (fine for us, but perhaps not so much for elderly family, and difficult in terms of inviting people just for the evening!). Such a beautiful venue though, and great accommodation - I bet your photos will be fab.

Haha, some of you are making me glad I am waiting a little, but others making me desperate to go and buy one now!

I'll bear that in mind if I don't have much luck with local bridal shops - thank you very much!! 

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride
    MrsLloyd2B2017 wrote (see post):

We have decided on our venue - we are having the ceremony in Caldicot Castle, with the reception in The Old Barn Inn (Llanmartin). We loved the Hare and Hounds, but found it to be just a little bit too far in terms of travel time (fine for us, but perhaps not so much for elderly family, and difficult in terms of inviting people just for the evening!). Such a beautiful venue though, and great accommodation - I bet your photos will be fab.

Haha, some of you are making me glad I am waiting a little, but others making me desperate to go and buy one now!

I'll bear that in mind if I don't have much luck with local bridal shops - thank you very much!! 

When I was younger I  lived in the housing estate next to the castle. Spent most of my childhood playing in the grounds. Lovely place

Every time I visit I'm amazed at how beautiful the grounds are. In the weeks leading up to it I will have everything crossed that it doesn't rain and I get the pictures I'll be hoping for! xx

• I'm getting married July 2017, I thought I knew what I wanted but looking around has shown me what does and doesn't suit! I started about a week ago, part impatience and part need to give myself enough time as I am quite fussy!! Hope you enjoy your shopping, mine is still on going but I feel I can relax with it too :-) 

hx

Hayley125, sorry for the huge delay in responding. I wasn't notified of a response! Thanks! It sounds like you are enjoying yours. I hope you find 'the one' soon

So many mixed responses on here, but I've taken the plunge booked my first appointment for tomorrow - eeek I'm rather viewing my first few appointments as 'trials' or 'experiments' (for want of a better word), where I can just have a bit of fun and get an idea of what suits me. I will be doing my utmost not to let my heart rule my head and rush into buying. Thank you all for your kind words and advice!

Mrs_G_2b_x and Hayley125... best of luck in your dress searches! I will look out for your planning threads 

xx