Wedding dress help

My mum was going to make my dress but unfortunately she is not well enough to even think about it.

I have found a lady who has said she will look at the pattern and fabric (which I already have) and give me a quote. 

My question is how much would you expect to pay for a dress made from scratch. I haven't budgeted for this unforeseen situation but I thought about £200.00.

• It depends what style you are going for? £200 seems very low to me, it is very skilled work. Have you thought about buying a dress from somewhere like Wed2B? They can be cost efficent 

• I have as meeting tomorrow with the lady.I am considering lost of options at the moment. I appreciate they don't have all their dresses on the wed2b site but I haven't seen anything I like. Cos I had my heart set on a certain dress I'm struggling to get away from it when looking at others.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

They don't even have a dent of their dresses on their website MrsB to be. 

Re. the budget, I I would have thought quite a lot more, like 600-800. Maybe less considering you are providing the fabric depending on the style of the dress but they can be quite intricate and time-consuming work if they are very structured and detailed. It would help if you explain the pattern if you would like guidance as to price?

I have got a quote for a second skirt to add on the my existing dress for half my day and this was £500. For just a skirt.  

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would agree with the others as well, 200 is really low..... you are paying for their skills and also the time it takes, i would of thought at least 1,000 to be honest as its a unique piece as well.

• She is a lady I used to work with who started her own wedding dress and accessories company. The dress is quite simple, think Kate Middleton but tweeked. My mum didn't get a chance to get the zips, buttons etc before she was taken ill. I do a bit of dress making my self (historical costume) so I do have an idea of what is involved.
  • £250.00 because I have provided the fabric and pattern.