Superficial Much?

I read this article from a "fashion commentator" with "15 years experience" and wanted to share with you ladies for your reactions.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/fashion-trends/opinion-affordable-wedding-dresses-at-hm-and-asos-cheapen-marriage/news-story/ebe7c3cd88f00cafa122ee9efd954120

Talk about a different take on the launches of the new affordable wedding dress lines. While I think most people applauded H&M and Asos on those releases, this writer has decided that fast fashion wedding dresses essentially cheapen the entire sanctity of marriage.  While I respect her for not shying away from sharing her true opinion, I can't say that I agree at all.

Call me crazy, but I feel like this woman is a bit removed from reality. 

I've been married twice previous, once in a nice(r) dress and once in a complete budget/ buy-it-online dress. Clearly the quality of the dress made NO difference in the long run!

What are your thoughts on the article?  If you bought a pricier dress, what were your reasons, if I may ask?

• MC98MC98 Posts: 211

"The wedding dresses in both collections are pretty enough, but the very premise of fast fashion wedding gowns leaves me feeling a little bereft. If I’m really honest, I think it’s a little tacky."

I'm sure there are plenty of women who would also feel the authors full sequin silver dress was a little "tacky" - everyone has different tastes (as shown by some of the stunning, yet completely different, dresses on this forum!!), and everyone has different budgets.

What would the author suggest someone wanting to get married *without* the $5,000 dress budget do? Get themselves into debt just to preserve the "worth" of the union?

Totally agree with you Kitten, brave of her to share this opinion, but I don't think she quite lives in the real world on this one!

• Marija2Marija2 Posts: 362

I agree with you Kitty,  I don't think price of the dress changes the marriage! Well at least I hope, as I have a cheap dress. :)))

I do, however wonder, what H&M and ASOS will do when Boho dresses won't be in fashion? I think they are playing on the fact that simple, boho beachy dresses are IN now... Because in a way - they are cheap - they can afford to sell it. I'm really intrigued to see how it goes.

• BekhaGBekhaG Posts: 584 New bride

Horrible bitchy article, quite frankly. Had our budget panned out differently I would have been buying a dress from Monsoon for around £150 tops! It wouldn't have meant I took my marriage or wedding day any less seriously. I applaud affordable fashion chains doing wedding gowns, to some people (myself included) £150 is a hell of a lot of money to spend on 1 dress. Thoughtless article.

• TadpoleTadpole Posts: 2,134 New bride

She wanted a dress that was a precious and fitting symbol of the significance of the commitment she was making?

No she just wanted a fancy frock. So superficial. 

Although a bit strange that she put so much significance into the dress but mentions that the photos are "on my husbands mac" - another mention of a premium product - but why would she not have any photos on display of her wearing said dress?! 

xx

• Kitten2014 wrote (see post):

I read this article from a "fashion commentator" with "15 years experience" and wanted to share with you. fast fashion wedding dresses essentially cheapen the entire sanctity of marriage.  While I respect her for not shying away from sharing her true opinion, I can't say that I agree at all.

Call me crazy, but I feel like this woman is a bit removed from reality. 

I've been married twice previous, once in a nice(r) dress and once in a complete budget/ buy-it-online dress. Clearly the quality of the dress made NO difference in the long run!

What are your thoughts on the article?  If you bought a pricier dress, what were your reasons, if I may ask?

That lady's attitude is so snobby and disgusting!

I personally went for a more expensive dress for the 'experience' with the bridesmaids, fittings etc etc

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

Thanks so much for the commentary, ladies. I too thought she seemed superficial - but I was also accused of being a "lower class snob" by my ex-husband, so sometimes I wonder if it's just me!

My mum and dad have been married for 40+ years...my dear mum sewed her own dress. They have wedding pictures still up and around the house - not sitting unviewed on a PC for three years, as Tadpole you adeptly pointed out!

Marija, your dress design looked amazing  - you are going to be a beautiful bride. I've been following your thread, and you sound like a beautiful person on the inside too. I think you are living proof that wearing something cost-effective doesn't mean you are somehow marginalizing the importance of the commitment at hand.

I too wonder if Asos and H&M will continue to sell wedding dresses as the trends change. I do think, however, clean lines and simplicity never go out of style.  If they decide to take that approach, they may end up staying in the game for years to come.

Team Jamieson-Lowe, thanks for sharing your reasoning behind your purchase. As an ex-David's Bridal horror story myself, having a positive bridal experience and good customer service are two strong reasons I can see for a bride to opt for a higher-end design. I can definitely appreciate that point.

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

That's totally ridiculous - but I sort of feel that the article is meant to be. A bit like Samantha Brick in the Mail - trying to attract clicks and comment. I suspect that the cost of wedding dresses has changed incredibly over the centuries, and I don't think you can argue that this means we've changed the concept of marriage. If anything, marriage has become less permanent as dress prices have gone up!

A "good" writer certainly does know how to incorporate some element of suspense or shock value to attract readers and comments, don't they?  This certainly could have been the case here.

Little Jules, dresses certainly have gone up in price and marriages have certainly gone down in longevity! Maybe we all need to go back to sewing them like my mum did ;)

• I found it very #firstworldproblem. Her comment about spending as much on your dress as you do on a kitchen gadget just demonstrated she has no grasp of the fact some people don't have a lot of money. For some it is a choice, but for people to spend what little they have on making a commitment to the person they love is arguably more special? In lots of ways the commitment is being corrupted by the big spending that surrounds it. And if you measure the success of your wedding by how much you spend on anything they you have a pretty warped set of values.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,810 New bride

Stuck up woman- the value of the dress to the bride has so little to do with what it actually costs! I'd love my dress at £50 or £5000- though I couldn't afford to buy it at £5000! But if my exact dress I have paid £1260 for was available from Asos for £50 would I turn my nose up at it? Of course not!! It seems like this woman would expect us to do just that. I think it's fab that you can pick up a wedding dress from the high street or places like Asos- they don't do the styles I love but if they did I would so consider buying one!

• KerryL82KerryL82 Posts: 97

I think I can see where she might be trying to go with this article. To try and make it more about 'marking' the occasion etc etc. but I think it misses its mark sadly.

I couldn't afford a $5000 wedding dress. It'd be lovely I'm sure, but I couldn't justify it with other costs. I'd like to focus on those invited on having a good time to celebrate. I have spent £1000 on my dress and I am still trying to justify that! Though I'm told in 'wedding speak' I am at the lower end of the wedding dress cost scale (!) - whatever that is !!!

I thought the mark of your wedding day was getting to spend time with people who you really like (mostly!) and to have some nice photos of people smiling and looking like they're enjoying themselves so you can look back and know you had a nice day. Whatever happened to love?!

I LOVE ASOS and I am a huge fan so I am super happy that they are doing a bridal range - and for bridesmaids and hair pieces etc. I am intrigued to see what will come next - how useful also for those people who may not have the time to shop for a dress at a higher cost?

To me, if you want to wear a £5000 dress - great. If you want to wear a £100 dress - great. Each to their own. I'll stick with my £1000 dress that is a bit like 'baby bears porridge'...just right...at least for me :)

My grandmum knew a lot of girls who shared or borrowed each others' wedding dresses. It was post-war and there was a wedding dress shortage with all of the servicemen coming home and wedding their sweethearts! My grandmum and grandad were married until the end of his life in 1988 and he thought she was his sun, moon, and stars.  She still has lots of beautiful pictures of her wedding day on the mantle...in her likely-borrowed gown.

Also hanging around the house, are pictures of her parents and their parents. Some of the ladies were married in a simple suit! I wouldn't doubt that it was something they already had in their closets or that they borrowed from another family member. I don't think that their lack of a big-budget gown made them feel as though the significance of their wedding day or commitment was any less.

I can appreciate the author's point, that we should put thought into our day, into what we wear and how we present the day to ourselves and to our loved ones. The more thought that goes into the day, likely the more personal and memorable it will be.  But I said thought, not money.

• Marija2Marija2 Posts: 362
    Kitten2014 wrote (see post):

Marija, your dress design looked amazing  - you are going to be a beautiful bride. I've been following your thread, and you sound like a beautiful person on the inside too. I think you are living proof that wearing something cost-effective doesn't mean you are somehow marginalizing the importance of the commitment at hand.

I too wonder if Asos and H&M will continue to sell wedding dresses as the trends change. I do think, however, clean lines and simplicity never go out of style.  If they decide to take that approach, they may end up staying in the game for years to come.

Aww thank you, that's so nice of you to say that! :) i'm blushing now...

I hope they do as well! I think it's a great idea, and will help people who want to get married, but can't afford it.  As you say simplicity is always in fashion. and as they say: less is more sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, I do like spending money on the clothes, and I never mind spending more money on something that is good quality and will last me a long time. And if I ever had a 'dream wedding dress' vision in my head - I think price wouldn't be as important. I truly believe that wedding day is about fulfilling your and your partner's dreams and being happy. It just happened that our expectations and wishes didn't required the big sum. I'm sure we will catch up on that during our honeymoon. And I'm pretty sure that the experiences we will have during it will be more important and have bigger significance than the dress I wore...