Glasses??

Hi ladies!

Just wondered what general opinions were of wearing your glasses on your big day? I'd prefer to actually see my groom at the altar rather than a blurry figure.

So, I've had a lot of people tell me that I shouldn't wear my glasses (FYI laser surgery has been suggested = hell no) which has made me consider contact lenses but i'm just not sure how comfortable they would be as i've never worn them before. PLUS I'm a rather weepy person and envision myself crying them out haha. Is that even possible?

It usually wouldn't bother me to wear my glasses but the overhaul i've had to not wear them is shocking! Do any of you have any pictures from your wedding or a friends where glasses were worn?
Many thanks! xx

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,345 New bride

Hello

I am a glasses / contact wearer. I think it depends on what you usually wear tbh. I nearly always wear contacts and so for me I was going to wear them on the big day. It is how my husband is used to seeing me. However, if you always wear your glasses, wear them on the wedding day. Your husband sees you in them all the time and loves you just as you are.

Your photographer will have worked with glasses wearers before so I am sure will know how to avoid glare (but you could always invest in a pair of anti glare specs)

Its also an excuse to buy a really nice pair that you wouldn't normally get.....

Of course, if you are interested in trying out lenses, it won't hurt to go and see your optician about them.

• Nikki-93Nikki-93 Posts: 171

I work at a Specsavers, if you are going to consider contact lenses make sure you leave yourself enough time to make appointments and get used to them etc. Everyone is different when it comes to using them but an optician will try and find you the best possible lense For comfort and vision. 

• Melissa45Melissa45 Posts: 460 New bride

I wear glasses and lenses and will wear lenses on my wedding day. if you want to get contact lenses give yourself plenty of time to get used to them and build up how long you can wear them for. Im only wearing contacts as thats what I would wear on a night out/ big occasion. If you are more comfortable in glasses then ignore everyone else and wear what makes you comfortable! 

• elsyelsy Posts: 533

I wear glasses, never had contacts in my life but like you have had lots of people tell me I shouldn't wear my glasses when I get married. I will be wearing them, they're what I wear every day and I want to look back at my photos and see me in them (it's already going to be weird seeing me in a wedding dress etc so without the glasses would just make it not like me!) 

Go with what you're comfortable with. If you want to wear your glasses, wear them. As others on here have said, your photographer will more than likely have experience of taking photos of glasses wearers etc so that shouldn't be a worry. 

• MrsLjCMrsLjC Posts: 1,199 New bride

I am wearing my glasses on my wedding day as I wear them all the time (scared of contact lenses!) and can honestly say nobody has told me not to wear them! 

My fiance met me, fell in love and proposed to me with glasses so I'm being me and wearing them on our day! 

If you decide to try contacts make sure you get practice of wearing them, but also make sure it's because YOU want to wear them not because others say! 

• I wear glasses and contacts and although I am planning to wear my contac lenses for the wedding, if for some reason I can't wear them on the day (if my eyes were sore or something like that) I would definitely wear my glasses rather than not be able to see. 

The only thing I would consider with regards to photos is getting anti glare coating if you don't already. I just got new glasses and had them thinned in specsavers and they came with the coating and they do look so much better in photos, you don't get any reflections 

• Geek GirlGeek Girl Posts: 145

I wore my glasses on my wedding day, for the two reasons lots of people have mentioned above - wanting to, you know, actually SEE my groom and everyone I loved who'd made the effort to be there on my big day, and also because I wanted to look like me on the day and in the pictures (I've worn glasses almost exclusively since I was about ten - I feel odd not!).

i did have a few people suggest I try disposable contacts in the run up to the wedding as another option and I did have a trial with them but I just didn't get on with them. Even though I could see I felt like my face was weirdly missing something, plus when they dislodged slightly and a contact lense wearer's instinct would be to blink to resettle them my glasses-wearing brain kept telling me to push my glasses up, so I kept poking myself on the bridge of the nose. It was not a good look!

im glad I stuck with my glasses, all I'd say is if you're having a make up artist make sure they do the trial with your glasses in mind and try taking photos of what theyve done so you can see whether your eyes are a bit lost / massively overemphasised under your glasses and adjust accordingly.

Laser eye surgery for your wedding day seems lunacy to me!

• lola3lola3 Posts: 350

I am a glasses and contact lense wearer and I'll be wearing my lenses on the day just because I feel more dressed up with my lenses on! But like everyone is saying do what makes you feel comfortable! X