Brides beware!

Hey ladies,

My first post but not my first time on the forum. Unfortunately not all smooth sailing and I just wanted to share my experience at Great Expectations Bridal in Buckhurst Hill.

My wedding is in exactly three weeks and so far so good, well that was until this afternoon. Off to Great expectations for my second fitting and was very happy. Remembered all my gear, hoop, veil shoes and undies. When getting changed the shop owners daughter made a remark about my hoop - 'that's one of ours' my response was no its my hoop your mum (the owner) saw me bring it in and take it out of the black bag.

Put on my lovely dress - and everything fit ok not great still would like some adjustments on the dress. Tried my veil didn't really work so asked to try one of the ones I had seen earlier with my dress. Quite odd as the owner had moved all the veils away from me and my sister. Never thought nothing about it, the owner and daughter seemed to pay more attention to a bride whose appointment had overrun into my appointment. Still no upset from me, hey I'm in this beautiful dress which by the way is over 2k! 

I asked if she could help me out the dress and the daughter said yes the tailor will help you. As we are in the back. The tailor remarks that both the dress and hoop need steaming - my reply was no that is my hoop. 

This is when all hell breaks loose. 

I explained to the daughter that the hoop was mine and her mum saw me bring it in. In bursts in the mother...I'm going to watch the CCTV footage because you took that. My response was first dismayed, hurt that someone could even accuse someone else of stealing in a bridal shop. As I explained and defended myself that I still had the receipt the abuse from both the mother and daughter was beyond words could described. I was shaking with anger, hurt and sheer disappointment trying to find my email receipt. 

I explained how would I..a dual qualified lawyer want to steal a petty £70 hoop which by the way they tried to sell me the same hoop for £200. I think the icing on the cake was that some how I had taken the hoop on my first fitting and was silly enough to leave the tag on the hoop.

Found the receipt and showed the daughter. A very short reluctant apology followed. The mother well she went hiding in the back and came out a short while later. The apology had to be requested from her. At this point no apology in the world could make up for the barrage of abuse from these ladies. They are rude, vindictive and very unprofessional. I explained to this so called owner that there is a way to approach things. OK you've had these hoops stolen. Just ask me, really sorry but we are checking all hoops of this make as we have had some go missing. I would have happily given you my receipt. 

So now I've taken an unfinished product as I refuse to every deal with these ladies again. It is so unfortunate but to be honest I should have known from my first encounter with them at the wedding fair when the verbal vomit that came out of their mouths. 

Just my word of advice- this bridal shop is not cheaper and by no means do you get the service you expect from a bridal shop. I can tell you this experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth and has certainly ruined my bridal experience.

• MRsA2016MRsA2016 Posts: 17

If any brides would like to know where I purchased my lovely jupon 190 hoop please let me know. It was £80! Whilst some bridal stores charge £200!

• AdelemkAdelemk Posts: 118

I nearly went to this shop-but the lady (I presume owner) on the phone was rude and sarcastic to my friend and we decided not to! 

Sounds like we made the right choice, sorry for your awful experience! x

You definitely did Adelemk- it's quite shocking to think this is how she runs her business. 

• Tessie87Tessie87 Posts: 26

Glad I read this! This is my local bridal boutique - defo won't be going in there any time soon! 

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

That's disgusting, can't believe how badly they treated you!! The shop I got my dress from were amazing and it's a shame they can't all be like that.

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

As you noted, how silly to think that you would try to steal something as LARGE as a hoop and relatively inexpensive when you had already purchased a dress for over £2000!  Such rude and unprofessional behaviour.  I'm sorry you had to experience this at all, but thankfully you were helpful enough to warn other brides on here!

Here's to hoping the next shop you work with for the rest of your alterations will treat you with more respect.

Thanks Kitten2014 - it goes to show the lack of common sense to be honest! 

• Curl88Curl88 Posts: 70

This makes me so sad and angry at the same time! 

How dare they accuse customers in this way? And if she had CCTV, it might have been prudent for her to check that first before throwing accusations at you.

If in need of someone nearby to make alterations, can I recommend the ladies at The Bridal Shop in Romford. Their seamstress is in on Tuesday's and Thursday's. 

I hope you get the dress sorted and have an amazing day. And perhaps leave a Google review of this disgusting behaviour so no other poor brides to be have to experience such a thing! 

• What terrible behaviour! How can people think it is okay to run a business with such a rude attitude? I hope you get your dress sorted OP and have a lovely wedding :)

• I've had to sign up to say I'm shocked at this review. I have purchased a dress from this boutique (I get married in 7 weeks) and have had nothing but a positive experience. It has been one of the best experiences I've had and I've been to many boutiques to find my dress. My mother continues to travel from Wales just because she loves coming to the shop. My sister got married 8 weeks ago, to which she commented that she thinks this is the best treatment she's experienced when she's with me, and she purchased her dress elsewhere; she was extremely close to asking her (big) store in London to send her dress here. 

In fact, I was in the store on that Saturday having a fitting, and I hope I'm not the bride you are referring to. A group of people came to their appointment a little earlier than expected and I said it was ok for the group to come in and sit down. 

I wish you a happy wedding. 

• This is disgusting and I'm glad you took the time to warn other brides about this! Will be telling my friends to steer clear.

(also a little bemused by the suspicious coincidence above of the girl who happened to apparently be in the exact same shop at the same time as you but has never posted on this site until now...).

Strongly recommend leaving Google and Facebook reviews too; this sort of thing is unacceptable and cannot be allowed to go on.

Hope your dress gets sorted! :)

• Be as suspicious as you like. Here is my wedding website if you wish to have a nose before throwing wild accusations:http://jospratt.wixsite.com/joandsimonwedding

P.S - I didn't say I was definitely the bride. You just inferred what I actually said incorrectly. 

• Haha Joanne, your response above... Made me chuckle. 'Suspicious' is not a 'wild accusation' but perfectly reasonable given your words! Yes I will be as 'suspicious as I like', thanks for the permission! ;) I haven't bothered with looking at your wedding website but I'm sure it's absolutely wonderful and I hope you will have a lovely day... Cheer up! 

Hi Joanne519 I highly doubt it was you as that bride is getting married on the 18 August if I remember correctly. She had purchased a sample dress and was having it altered and her appointment went into my appointment. 

Thank you all for your comments.  I'm trying the dress on tomorrow with a tailor we have used for years so hopefully be able to get it sorted. 

Only 7 days left.....

• Thank you to that shared some kind words following my very difficult experience. I just wanted to share an update on this. 

So it transpires there was no CCTV footage - big shock! 

And the owner who does not cover herself in any glory, is still adamant her actions were warranted and now is accusing me of pushing her mother. it's beyond words that anyone can run a business like this and think this is OK.

I wish I could tell you more but unfortunately I have started a civil claim against the store as I don't believe any bride should be subjected to the abuse I was.

• Mrs B2b3Mrs B2b3 Posts: 257
    MRsA2016 wrote (see post):

Thank you to that shared some kind words following my very difficult experience. I just wanted to share an update on this. 

So it transpires there was no CCTV footage - big shock! 

And the owner who does not cover herself in any glory, is still adamant her actions were warranted and now is accusing me of pushing her mother. it's beyond words that anyone can run a business like this and think this is OK.

I wish I could tell you more but unfortunately I have started a civil claim against the store as I don't believe any bride should be subjected to the abuse I was.

I think you went through a distressing experience but as you didn't suffer a financial loss what are you claiming for in the civil action?

• Unfortunately I did - the dress was unfinished which I had paid £250 for tailoring already. in addition to the cost of me having to professionally steam my dress due to the haste in which it was taken. 

• OlyaOlya Posts: 11

Unfortunately, such situations happen from time to time. I also experienced some time ago the clownish behavior from the shop-assistants in the bridal salons. It is very unpleasant because all you need while choosing a wedding dress is the understanding. A friend of mine being pregnant had to choose a wedding dress and in some of the salons she met shop-assistants who asked with disbelief, that she is getting married, though my friend is a real beauty, and pregnant by and atour. I remember her crying. It's a pity, the owners of the bridal salons hire such awful shop-assistants