bridesmaid dress sizing

Hi all, looking for some advice on dress sizing.

One of my bridesmaids is a size 12 and her measurements are bust: 37 waist: 31 hips: 39.

We have picked a bridesmaid dress and the measurements for a size 12 are bust: 38 waist: 29/30 hips: 40.5. 

The bridal shop has advised us to order a size 14 which is bust: 40 waist: 31 hips: 43.

My BM plans to lose a bit of weight/tone up before the wedding and I'm worried that the size 14 will be too big and it might ruin the look of the dress to have to alter it so much... but obviously I'm worried the size 12 could be a bit snug. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? :S 

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I have always found it safer to order up and have alterations If needs be. That way I know it will fit. I always found bridesmaid sizing to be on the smaller side compared to that size in a high street shop. That being said I can see from the measurements it's only the waist that is slightly smaller on the size 12. 

The shop probably say that because they don't want to be in trouble if your friend doesn't tone up and cannot fit the 12. 

• OKCharlieOKCharlie Posts: 145

I would definitely go for the 14. Altering a dress smaller is not a big deal, whereas if the dress ends up too small you have a problem. Id go with the shops advice. 

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,653 New bride

I've posted on here before about problems with bridesmaids dresses and sizes, which led to one of my bridesmaids getting upset because she needed a bigger size. The best advice is that it's easier to take a dress in but not the other way around. If the bridal shop are advising on the bigger size, its because they're probably used to dealing with this situation and know how to solve it best. Get the bigger one and then there's no pressure on your bridesmaid to tone up. Anything could happen between now and the wedding which means she might not be able to achieve her desired measurements. Don't take the risk!