How did you know your wedding dress was the one?

So I'm going dress shopping with my mum and little sister on saturday but don't have much of any idea what kind of dress I want, just that I dont want a train or something that makes me look skinner.

How did you know it was the right dress for you? 

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

I didn't have the WOW moment that people talk about - a lot of brides don't so please don't be put off if you don't! I'd told the shop assistant what I wanted (the opp to you, mahoooooosive train!!) and she was so adamant she had my dress I was a bit like ....whatever... and almost didn't want to like it (Last appointment, tired, etc). It was the only dress where everyone struggled to find something wrong with it. I spent a long time going... erm I think it's the one?! There's nothing I don't like?!

• Helen225 wrote (see post):

I didn't have the WOW moment that people talk about - a lot of brides don't so please don't be put off if you don't! I'd told the shop assistant what I wanted (the opp to you, mahoooooosive train!!) and she was so adamant she had my dress I was a bit like ....whatever... and almost didn't want to like it (Last appointment, tired, etc). It was the only dress where everyone struggled to find something wrong with it. I spent a long time going... erm I think it's the one?! There's nothing I don't like?!

Im kind of not expecting there to be a WOW moment, although seeing myself in a wedding dress might make it stop feeling surreal that i m getting married. I'm incredibly clumsy so a train would be a bad idea, I just want something practical and comfortable really. 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,362 New bride

Oh yes please don't be down if you don't get that 'bridal moment'! And listen to the shop assistant- just like Helen I would have never picked my dress off the rail but the shop owner made me try it on!

You sound like you have a very practical idea of what you want without being too fixed on a design so that's a really good starting point. I started off coveting a sparkley strapless princess style, but once I had one of them on my main criteria immediately changed to 'something light!!'. When I tried my dress on it felt soooo light and kind of had everything I wanted so it was a 'this ticks all the boxes' practical desicion. However, it's only in the months since buying it I've really begun to actually love it. Sometimes I can't stop staring at the pictures of me in it on my phone!! So I guess what I'm trying to say is... love at first sight is wonderful, but it's okay if you don't get it too!

• Bims09Bims09 Posts: 238

I didn't have the wow moment either so totally agree. I only started to think mine was the one when I couldn't find anything about it I would change (after trying on about half the shop and finding fault with most of them!). Then the nice assistant plonked a veil on me and handed me a bouquet... well then it felt real!

I would say be open minded and try on styles you might not otherwise be drawn to, you never know.

• I knew when I didn't want to take it off. I just stood there swishing the skirt around. I still thought about it for a month & tried on other dresses but I compared them all to 'the dress' so that just confirmed it for me. I had the bridal moment, but only the second time I tried the dress on. 

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I have only tried on one lot of dresses so far and my one piece of advice is to try all styles on your first trip at least. What you end up going for maybe something you had never considered. 

The one I loved the most on my first trip was nothing like I had in my head! Cant wait to see what I find and try in other shops. 

Enjoy it, dont worry about finding the one at first, just have fun! 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I went in knowing I liked the full skirted, long train , non strapless look, but was being open minded and wanted to try all the styles on.

I dont like fitted mermaid types really but the majority of the dresses were in that shape, so I ended up with about 8 to try. I hated every single one of them!

The dress I bought was the first princess skirt style I tried on. I dont think I picked it off the shelf but I cant remember. I liked it. There was no 'moment'. I liked the details, I liked the straps, I liked the back. 

I tried on a few more big skirted but none were quite right, necklines too high, strapless, wrong beading etc.

I went to another shop to try on more big dresses, I found another I liked, but again the neck was high enough to irritate and it just seemed to soft and girly.

So I went back and bought the only one I actually liked! Nothing dreamy or emotional here.

• Sammykate wrote (see post):

Oh yes please don't be down if you don't get that 'bridal moment'! And listen to the shop assistant- just like Helen I would have never picked my dress off the rail but the shop owner made me try it on!

You sound like you have a very practical idea of what you want without being too fixed on a design so that's a really good starting point. I started off coveting a sparkley strapless princess style, but once I had one of them on my main criteria immediately changed to 'something light!!'. When I tried my dress on it felt soooo light and kind of had everything I wanted so it was a 'this ticks all the boxes' practical desicion. However, it's only in the months since buying it I've really begun to actually love it. Sometimes I can't stop staring at the pictures of me in it on my phone!! So I guess what I'm trying to say is... love at first sight is wonderful, but it's okay if you don't get it too!

Thank you:) I will be open to suggestions from the shop assistant since I m sure they ll have plenty of experience with helping brides when I have no experience with wedding dress shopping with anybody. I m pretty set on no sparkles but otherwise apart from being practical,any criteria I ve kind of forgotten about. When I used to think of myself getting married I was adamant I wouldn't want sleeves but I ve seen a few beatuiful dress with them I m open to trying one on now. 

• Bims09 wrote (see post):

I didn't have the wow moment either so totally agree. I only started to think mine was the one when I couldn't find anything about it I would change (after trying on about half the shop and finding fault with most of them!). Then the nice assistant plonked a veil on me and handed me a bouquet... well then it felt real!

I would say be open minded and try on styles you might not otherwise be drawn to, you never know.

Seems like practical rather than emotional could be the way to go. I m not planning on having a veil but since I ve already got some shoes I liked and my headband I ll take them with me so it might feel more real then. 

• FutureMrsWoolgrove wrote (see post):

I knew when I didn't want to take it off. I just stood there swishing the skirt around. I still thought about it for a month & tried on other dresses but I compared them all to 'the dress' so that just confirmed it for me. I had the bridal moment, but only the second time I tried the dress on. 

I guess it's a case that a dress can grow on you when you ve something to compare to. I ve got a little bit of pressure in choosing as my mum offered to put something towards my dress so ideally wanted to find one on the first trip so she could be there with me (living about 150 miles away from my family has made planning a little challenging). 

• MrsJohnstonToBe wrote (see post):

I went in knowing I liked the full skirted, long train , non strapless look, but was being open minded and wanted to try all the styles on.

I dont like fitted mermaid types really but the majority of the dresses were in that shape, so I ended up with about 8 to try. I hated every single one of them!

The dress I bought was the first princess skirt style I tried on. I dont think I picked it off the shelf but I cant remember. I liked it. There was no 'moment'. I liked the details, I liked the straps, I liked the back. 

I tried on a few more big skirted but none were quite right, necklines too high, strapless, wrong beading etc.

I went to another shop to try on more big dresses, I found another I liked, but again the neck was high enough to irritate and it just seemed to soft and girly.

So I went back and bought the only one I actually liked! Nothing dreamy or emotional here.

Mermaid dresses are something I m a bit unsure about but I d like to give  a go I think. I suppose it  makes things easy if there's only a single one you like. I ve been quite practical with planning so far, so maybe I m not going to have that emotional moment realistically.

• Dont expect to like what uv have got in ur head either i wanted lace and said i hated the mermaid style and i hated the lace on me,  so i ended up with a no lace and mermaid style dress, i didnt get the whole crying this id the one but i couldnt stop smiling with that dress on which everyone noticed xx

• MrsMannion wrote (see post):

Dont expect to like what uv have got in ur head either i wanted lace and said i hated the mermaid style and i hated the lace on me,  so i ended up with a no lace and mermaid style dress, i didnt get the whole crying this id the one but i couldnt stop smiling with that dress on which everyone noticed xx

I don't really do tears of joy anyway although I was close when fi proposed. I guess it could be much different when I m actually wearing something compared to seeing it in a photo.

• Bims09Bims09 Posts: 238
    Futuremrsb95 wrote (see post):
    FutureMrsWoolgrove wrote (see post):

I knew when I didn't want to take it off. I just stood there swishing the skirt around. I still thought about it for a month & tried on other dresses but I compared them all to 'the dress' so that just confirmed it for me. I had the bridal moment, but only the second time I tried the dress on. 

I guess it's a case that a dress can grow on you when you ve something to compare to. I ve got a little bit of pressure in choosing as my mum offered to put something towards my dress so ideally wanted to find one on the first trip so she could be there with me (living about 150 miles away from my family has made planning a little challenging).

My mum had to travel up too so same issue here! I had booked four appointments over two days for an intensive weekend, and luckily we came across my dress in the second shop. I wouldn't put pressure on yourself though - enjoy the day with your family, you get to try on lots of pretty dresses even if you don't find "the one"! Some lovely ladies on here advised me that if I had to go another time then I could take a bridesmaid(s) along, then get mum involved again for the final decision if necessary.

Good luck!!

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

I actually had that bridal WOW moment with 2 dresses! One was the second shop I went in and it was the last dress I tried on which I still think about today and hope I didn't pick the wrong dress! 

The second moment was totally unexpected because I was actually shopping for bridesmaid inspo when my auntie begged me to try this wedding dress on as she just wanted to see what it was like...at this point I was set on the dress mentioned above but my auntie wasn't the biggest fan of it...hence the pleading me to try another!

At first I hated it, on the hanger I actually laughed as couldn't believe I was going to put it on, but decided we can just all have a giggle and go home happy.

When I came out and saw myself in the mirror I just stopped laughing and stared at myself for a good 2 minutes in silence! I couldn't believe hoe beautiful this dress looked and it blew the other one out of the water! I had tears and that's how I knew! I do still think about the other dress, but it helps to remember the moment and why I chose the dress I chose!

The point of this story is, please try styles that you wouldn't normally look twice at! you just never know what you may fall in love with! wedding dresses are not like normal dresses so styles you think you couldn't wear you should still try them on because my wedding dress is a style I have NEVER worn in my life and would have never even considered before either xx

• Rose32Rose32 Posts: 74

As mentioned by many other brides, I'm not really sure if I had a 'WOW' moment at all or if I had 2!

I went to 4 different shops and tried on lots of different styles of dresses. I thought I had an idea what I would like (Ivory a line dress with pretty back details and some lace), however I quickly became emotionally overwhelmed and I liked most of the dresses I tried on.

I thought I had a 'WOW' moment with one dress and decided to order it straight away (Light gold floaty a line with beading). Then I came home and doubted it due to it being so different to what I thought I wanted initially.

I was very fortunate in that I was able to go back and try on other dresses, eventually changing my order. My point is that if you are a worrier or indecisive type like me, I would advise against acting on 'WOW' moments straight away. If you have the option, try on lots of dresses, enjoy any 'WOW' moments you may have and sleep on it before making a decision. Give yourself time and  it will make the decision making process more stress free. I wish someone had told me this! X

• Bims09 wrote (see post):
    Futuremrsb95 wrote (see post):
    FutureMrsWoolgrove wrote (see post):

My mum had to travel up too so same issue here! I had booked four appointments over two days for an intensive weekend, and luckily we came across my dress in the second shop. I wouldn't put pressure on yourself though - enjoy the day with your family, you get to try on lots of pretty dresses even if you don't find "the one"! Some lovely ladies on here advised me that if I had to go another time then I could take a bridesmaid(s) along, then get mum involved again for the final decision if necessary.

Good luck!!

I suppose on the plus side I intend on finding it in the one outlet shop as  the main option in a budget price range. It's 11 months till the big day so could find some way for another visit but as I m lucky to get my first Saturday in three months and my family's having to use annual leave for that day I can't really be 100% on it.  I d just like a simple dress that's practical  and I still look like me in really :) 

• MrsG2bxx wrote (see post):

I actually had that bridal WOW moment with 2 dresses! One was the second shop I went in and it was the last dress I tried on which I still think about today and hope I didn't pick the wrong dress! 

The second moment was totally unexpected because I was actually shopping for bridesmaid inspo when my auntie begged me to try this wedding dress on as she just wanted to see what it was like...at this point I was set on the dress mentioned above but my auntie wasn't the biggest fan of it...hence the pleading me to try another!

At first I hated it, on the hanger I actually laughed as couldn't believe I was going to put it on, but decided we can just all have a giggle and go home happy.

When I came out and saw myself in the mirror I just stopped laughing and stared at myself for a good 2 minutes in silence! I couldn't believe hoe beautiful this dress looked and it blew the other one out of the water! I had tears and that's how I knew! I do still think about the other dress, but it helps to remember the moment and why I chose the dress I chose!

The point of this story is, please try styles that you wouldn't normally look twice at! you just never know what you may fall in love with! wedding dresses are not like normal dresses so styles you think you couldn't wear you should still try them on because my wedding dress is a style I have NEVER worn in my life and would have never even considered before either xx

I ll be sure to try something different from my usual dress taste to see what it's like :) 

• Rose32 wrote (see post):

As mentioned by many other brides, I'm not really sure if I had a 'WOW' moment at all or if I had 2!

I went to 4 different shops and tried on lots of different styles of dresses. I thought I had an idea what I would like (Ivory a line dress with pretty back details and some lace), however I quickly became emotionally overwhelmed and I liked most of the dresses I tried on.

I thought I had a 'WOW' moment with one dress and decided to order it straight away (Light gold floaty a line with beading). Then I came home and doubted it due to it being so different to what I thought I wanted initially.

I was very fortunate in that I was able to go back and try on other dresses, eventually changing my order. My point is that if you are a worrier or indecisive type like me, I would advise against acting on 'WOW' moments straight away. If you have the option, try on lots of dresses, enjoy any 'WOW' moments you may have and sleep on it before making a decision. Give yourself time and  it will make the decision making process more stress free. I wish someone had told me this! X

I m not indecisive but I m certainly going to try not to be impulsive on something that will cost a few hundred pounds, i think if i find one I love then I ll at least go get a brew somewhere before deciding to purchase it. 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,362 New bride

You sound like you have a sensible head on you- I didn't have a brew or anything to think about it before throwing down £1300 on my wedding dress! Eek! I am far too implusive lol. But it really is sensible to go away and think about it! But, it worked out OK for me in the end, so don't worry tooooo much if you end up doing that ;)

• I'd echo the other ladies comments above!

1. Try not to go in with a definite idea. I did this and  a good hour trying on dresses with sleeves that didn't suit me and really knocked my confidence

2. Listen to the shop ladies advice but keep your own wedding in mind, its easy to get carried away!

3. If you have a wow moment that's wonderful but don't expect it! I tried on two dresses in total that I thought I looked nice in and chose one of them. 

4. Don't be disappointed if you don't love the experience. I got really hyped up before with shows like 'say yes to the dress' and actually didn't enjoy it much! All that matters is you end up with a dress YOU like and suits YOUR day 

good luck ☺️

• Sammykate wrote (see post):

You sound like you have a sensible head on you- I didn't have a brew or anything to think about it before throwing down £1300 on my wedding dress! Eek! I am far too implusive lol. But it really is sensible to go away and think about it! But, it worked out OK for me in the end, so don't worry tooooo much if you end up doing that ;)

Yeah,my friends say I m the most sensible person they know. I don't think I ll end up doing it since I ll be with my very sensible mum too:p  Glad it worked out for you:) 

• Tessie87 wrote (see post):

I'd echo the other ladies comments above!

1. Try not to go in with a definite idea. I did this and  a good hour trying on dresses with sleeves that didn't suit me and really knocked my confidence

2. Listen to the shop ladies advice but keep your own wedding in mind, its easy to get carried away!

3. If you have a wow moment that's wonderful but don't expect it! I tried on two dresses in total that I thought I looked nice in and chose one of them. 

4. Don't be disappointed if you don't love the experience. I got really hyped up before with shows like 'say yes to the dress' and actually didn't enjoy it much! All that matters is you end up with a dress YOU like and suits YOUR day 

good luck ☺️

I ll try not to have too much of a definitive idea and I m open to try things. I m not massively hyped at the moment, I ll just be glad to have another big decision sorted. Our day doesn't really have a theme,just need something that I won't get cold in if we decide to go in the garden for photos and that I won't trip on walking down the staircase to the ballroom.

• MrsGB2015MrsGB2015 Posts: 3,199 New bride

I agree with the ladies - deffo try things on that you may never of looked at twice.  Although I didn't get it there was one the lady got me to try on that I thought ergh no way but I put it on and it looked lovely!  My mum and MIL both liked it too but sadly I knew it wasn't the actual one.

For me, I was lucky and I knew straight away - I found it in a magazine and kept banging on about it that my mum finally said ok lets go an try it.  As soon as I put it on I couldn't stop smiling and my heart was beating so quick, always such a drama queen lol!!  The shop assistant had made me try it first so I carried on with other dresses and whilst I appreciated them it was THAT ONE!  I even said oh I like this one, I could add this and do that and the lady was like well why do that when what you've said is exactly what you have in the first dress?!

Needless to say that was it and it was brought there and then - with one more try on to make sure - which involved me staring at myself and swishing the skirt around!  lol!

But like the ladies have said don't get too hung up on having this moment as I know my best friend didn't she just tried some on and went with the one she didn't find faults with and felt comfortable in.  Just try and enjoy the experience if you can and go in open minded but don't let the shop assistants "tell" you what you should have too much as it is your wedding after all x

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

"The greater your storm, the brighter your rainbow"
  • Well I tried on four dresses in total but kept comparing them all to  first one which turned out to have lovely straps something I wouldn't have considered before so was glad to have had that open mind,thank you all for your advice :) 

• GillP2GillP2 Posts: 332

Futuremrsb95 I have honestly tried about 40 dresses on to date, and I feel like am I ever going to have this moment?! I think I could pick 10 dresses I would be happy to wear for different reasons. Maybe some people just don't get that heart beating moment, I honestly don't feel like I will, which actually makes me feel a bit sad but you never know!

What styles did you like? 

Gill x

• GillP2Futuremrsb95 wrote (see post):

Futuremrsb95 I have honestly tried about 40 dresses on to date, and I feel like am I ever going to have this moment?! I think I could pick 10 dresses I would be happy to wear for different reasons. Maybe some people just don't get that heart beating moment, I honestly don't feel like I will, which actually makes me feel a bit sad but you never know!

What styles did you like? 

Gill x

Well when I saw what strapless dresses with tie backs actually looked like in person I realised I wasn't keen at all so I tried on ones with thin straps with different styles for the top including lace and high neck ones. In the end I went I did go for one of the simplest designs but the beading on the straps was what drew me to it really and it was the one I really felt like myself in. It s really easy to move in and doesn't make me look skinnier than I already am which I was quite worried about when choosing a dress. 

• GillP2GillP2 Posts: 332

Futuremrsb95 I have to admit I've never been too keen on the corset back, just a personal preference though it's funny you say you didn't like that in person. Is it a mermaid style you went for or princess? 

Have you ordered it? xx

• InaIna Posts: 12

Thank you for this question. I have my first trials next month.

• MashMash Posts: 73

I'd be slightly wary of going with the one that made you cry... I had a 'moment' with a dress I tried on but I didn't really like the dress, I think I just suddenly realised what I was doing and that I was getting married.  It was a big princess dress which really didn't suit me at all, the bust line was far too low and the dress was an odd shade of grey - but the realisation that 'I am trying on Wedding Dresses !!!' just flooded over me and next thing I was blubbing in the middle of the shop.