Dress and weight loss

so since I bought my dress I've nearly dropped two dress sizes. I've attached pics of when I bought in and when I last tried it on (excuse my dressing gown!) I hope they can alter it. its loose around my bust and waist even with corset back. We get married in April and I'm worried. Has anyone else lost weight prior to dress alterations? I don't have my hoop yet but wore one in first pic  imageimage

• jamie41jamie41 Posts: 63

I actually look slimmer in first pic I think but that's because it hangs off me now 😭

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I would advise you ask your seamstress now. I was under the impression they advise to not go more than 2 sizes either way,  so you should be okay, but I wouldn't lose anymore! 

I know it does depend on the dress, as the detail on yours is all over hopefully it will be possible without losing any design elements of the dress. 

Thank you am seeing my seamstress on 5 november. the lady from the dress shop says she should be able to take it down 3 sizes. 

Fingers crossed x

Hope it goes well, it's a beautiful dress! 

• Grace24Grace24 Posts: 37

Depending on the pattern, I've always been told that a good seamstress can cope with up to 2 dress sizes down. 

Out of interest, how did you do so well on your weight loss? I'm currently a 12 but my dress is a 10! I have til next summer but could do with getting it started! 

aw thank you ladies I've been having second thoughts with it but hopefully they can sort it! 

I walk a lot- about five miles a day to work and back and have been watching what I eat! I've gone from a 16 on top 18 on bottom to a 12ish on top to a 14 on bottom. I would have been happy at an 18 in my dress but it's the honeymoon that's the worry hahaha!!😂

Good luck im sure you can do it! i wish I'd bought a smaller dress now but was too scared to. I think I would have gone for a more fitted style now to be honest but my mum paid for it and I do love it. I'll post pictures when Im pinned by the seamstress. Hope it looks better then!! Xx

• SO I went to see my seamstress today. i can't lose anymore weight. I'm frustrated as I'm still overweight and have a stone to go. I've reserved a sottero dress which is an ex sample for £500 until the weekend while I think it through. obviously it doesn't quite do up but I'm worried to stop my weight loss as I've always been overweight and I either lose or gain. i don't know how to maintain!  advice please! My mum bought my dress and is gutted ans maybe I bought it too early but that's done now. imageimageimage

• MrsDee7MrsDee7 Posts: 272 New bride

I think you look absolutely fantastic in your existing dress! Do you feel like you want to lose more? Or would you ideally just like to maintain your shape so you can still wear the dress your mum bought you? 

Rachel 

Its so difficult, I don't look at you in any of these photos and think you look big and I don't think anyone else would either. I can imagine the first one taken in will look stunning.  I totally understand you, yourself would be thinking about your weight, but on your wedding day you will want to wear the one you love. I presume your likely to lose enough to fit the second one but not too much it's massive? 

Which dress do you actually prefer? I think you need to make your decision on that. If the second one isn't your favourite, I cannot imagine you will feel anymore special on your wedding day than wearing your first choice and not being that stone lighter. 

Have you been on a specific diet to lose the weight? 

• Thank you so much ladies for your kind words. They mean so much. I have always been overweight and I feel focused Now to get into my goal weight. It is more for the honeymoon really! I have spoken to the bridal shop today again and the second dress is back on the racks! it's beautiful but I love my dress so much. my bridal shop has kindly contacted the designer for me and they may be able to exchange it for a smaller size. 

i have just been doing slimming world and walking to and from work most days which is five miles.it's taken since January to lose 2 stone. i started at 14 stone and I don't feel ready to stop yet as I have a little way to go! 

Will see what the dress designers say.....! I'm feeling hopeful! 

Good luck with the designer! I definitely think you should go for the dress you love. 

I'm doing SlimmingWorld too. You could definitely ask them about maintaining if that was the last option, but I totally understand about wanting to look good on honeymoon. Do you go straight awayv 

• Thank you :) yeah I love it. Only tried two on when I bought it. yes we get married on 27 April then fly to Mexico on 2nd may so no time to slim after haha! I will just have to get lots of sarongs haha 

I don't know how to maintain at all! I rebelled after going to bridal shop and being told I shouldn't lose anymore - straight to McDonald's hahaha. 

how is your weight loss going? When do you tie the knot? 

Xx

• MrsDee7MrsDee7 Posts: 272 New bride

I think you've made the right decision  You look teeny in the photo in your first dress! 

• Z

• jamie41 wrote (see post):

Hehehe so weird hearing that. thank you.  I just love this dress especially the back....image Totally not what I wanted but just felt amazing in it xx

• You look fab, well done on your weight loss! Definitely keep going, as your health is so important for your whole life and your marriage, not just your wedding day. If they can give you a smaller size that's perfect, you're doing so well! Good luck :)

jamie41 wrote (see post):

Thank you :) yeah I love it. Only tried two on when I bought it. yes we get married on 27 April then fly to Mexico on 2nd may so no time to slim after haha! I will just have to get lots of sarongs haha 

I don't know how to maintain at all! I rebelled after going to bridal shop and being told I shouldn't lose anymore - straight to McDonald's hahaha. 

how is your weight loss going? When do you tie the knot? 

Xx

Ah you will have such a great time on Honeymoon. I think they say you should up your healthy extras to maintain. I would try adding that and see how you go. Bit of Trial and error! if you put weight on one week at least you know if you're good you could get back down.

I have only been doing it a few weeks and lost about 7lbs so far. I'm getting married May 2018, so I've got a while but I'm bridesmaid twice next year and want to look good! 

• MrsE2016MrsE2016 Posts: 1,206 New bride

I bought a sample dress so it was a Size 14 - i'm an 8 & the seamstress wasn't worried at all about taking 3 dress sizes out of it. It looked perfect by the time she'd finished. She also did some other pretty major alterations (changed the neckline, made the keyhole back & sleeves detachable & changed the shape slightly so it was more fitted round my bum - I was an easy customer!)

The thing with wedding dresses is they don't alter them like you'd alter a normal piece of clothing - they pretty much take the dress apart and put it back together so i'm sure you'll be able to find a seamstress that's confident in doing that. 

You should definitely stick with the dress - it really suits you & the train is absolutely stunning! Well done on your weight loss you should be very proud! xxx

• Thanks again ladies. I'm going to keep going only want another stone off before April :) 

Lexi that's great well done. ive had a naughty week so need to get back on plan.

september bride thank you you've put me at ease. I'm keeping my dress and will just see what happens when I go for alterations. have found another seamstress who is more daring! out of interest how much we're your alterations and where are you based? The bust on mine will need altering and I'll need a bustle and it taking In and shortening xx

• gill17gill17 Posts: 568 New bride

My dress was taken in from at least Size18 to about a 10/12. First seamstress couldn't cope ( didn't have a clue what she was doing, nearly destroyed my dresses, dont get me started) but the 2nd one said no problem and took it in perfectly, within 3 days. Obviously I'm not an expert but i cant see anything on your dress that would mean it can't be altered. I think the first one looks great on u, and my first impression was 'is this someone else trying it in, sure she doesn't need to lose weight??!!' but it to u which u prefer, both look great with ur figure! 

• gill17 wrote (see post):

My dress was taken in from at least Size18 to about a 10/12. First seamstress couldn't cope ( didn't have a clue what she was doing, nearly destroyed my dresses, dont get me started) but the 2nd one said no problem and took it in perfectly, within 3 days. Obviously I'm not an expert but i cant see anything on your dress that would mean it can't be altered. I think the first one looks great on u, and my first impression was 'is this someone else trying it in, sure she doesn't need to lose weight??!!' but it to u which u prefer, both look great with ur figure! 

thank you gill you're very kind. All pics are me haha. 

i am going to stay with my dress.  Have one more stone to lose then will take it for alterations.   sounds like you're alterations were stressful; peased that you got them sorted :) 

• MrsE2016MrsE2016 Posts: 1,206 New bride

I'm based in the Midlands and my alterations cost £100.

I had the dress taken in, shortened, sleeves & keyhole back taken off and attached to a bra so I could wear the dress strapless for the reception, had the neckline altered from straight to sweetheart & also had the shape changed slightly so it was more fitted round my hips & bum rather than a traditional a line (was more of a drop waist if that makes sense). I was gobsmacked when i got the bill for alterations as I thought I'd easily be paying treble what I did as I had a grand total of 7(!!) fittings!

It was definitely worth it xx 

• SeptemberBride16 wrote (see post):

I'm based in the Midlands and my alterations cost £100.

I had the dress taken in, shortened, sleeves & keyhole back taken off and attached to a bra so I could wear the dress strapless for the reception, had the neckline altered from straight to sweetheart & also had the shape changed slightly so it was more fitted round my hips & bum rather than a traditional a line (was more of a drop waist if that makes sense). I was gobsmacked when i got the bill for alterations as I thought I'd easily be paying treble what I did as I had a grand total of 7(!!) fittings!

It was definitely worth it xx 

Wow that's a bargain! I've been quoted from one seamstress £130 to take in,  shorten and add a bustle. she was also the one who said I couldn't lose any more weight. It's these extra expenses you don't think of 😂 Xx

• gill17gill17 Posts: 568 New bride

I paid £85 to have 2 dresses taken in and the hems unpicked and done again properly. She also stitched another crease in my shrug. She did all this in like 4 days, and didn't charge me any extra given the tight deadline. Have u got a 2nd opinion from another seamstress?

• I've spoken to the seamstress who is doing the bridesmaid dresses and sent her pics. she says she will be able to alter it. I think though, the chances of me losing any more weight are slim as I've eaten my body weight in chocolate today haha.

your seamstress sounds like a bargain. especially with such a quick turn around.xx