Wedding band to match engagement ring or not?

Hi ladies,

Looking for a little advice/opinion on this.

We're finally going to look at wedding rings this afternoon and I wondered what you guys thought would go best with my engagement ring metal-wise:

(Apologies for the rubbish picture, it's much sparklier in real life!)

I want a completely plain wedding band so the metal matters a bit to me as thats all you'll see.

The metal of my engagement ring is palladium which has definitely ruled out silver or white gold, I tried wedding rings in those metals on at a wedding fair and thought they just made the palladium look really dull. Do you think sticking with palladium for my wedding ring is the way to go? Or could maybe yellow gold or rose gold go with it without looking daft?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! 

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

I would definitely stick with the same metal 

• Mrs17Mrs17 Posts: 876 New bride

Personally I think I would go with either Palladium or Platinum - because I think they are from the same 'family', and much harder than gold, so I would worry about the engagement ring wearing away at the wedding band!

In terms of appearance, I don't think it would look silly having the two different coloured metals, it would be the longevity that would concern me.

Hope this helps! x

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

It is apparently "fashionable" to have contrasting colour rings so you can certainly go down that route if you like the look. It is definitely gives a more unique look and some combinations actually look really great, but I personally would want to stay classic and have them the same, so would go with platinum or palladium over white gold if that is what your ER is.

• I'd match for the reasons Wibble gave. Palladium is so strong, I'd worry about it bullying another metal! Although definitely try on rose/yellow gold and if you love it, it might be fine. Might just need a bit of TLC over the years. I would avoid a silvery metal except palladium because even platinum, which is the same family, will be slightly different colour (OH has palladium & I have platinum & trust me, they are not the same). I think it needs to either be a distinct difference or match, otherwise it might bug you that it's slighty off.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

I think you should stick with the same metal- I was advised it needs to be the same carat gold as well or it won't match. I have a very similar ring and have just gone for a plain band as the E ring is sparkley enough! So I think that will look nice for you too.

• MoggleMoggle Posts: 556 New bride

Thanks for the advice ladies! I think I'll stick to palladium 

• Lucy266Lucy266 Posts: 176

I'm going to wear the engagement ring on my other ha d - could be an option? 

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

there are no hard and fast rules as to matching colour however i would match carat weight and depth.  Nothing stopping you having palladium on the outer rims and yellow gold in the middle .

Seriously guys... why are wedding bands so expensive?! Because the stone on my engagement ring is big and round, I need to get a wedding band that'll fit round it or it'll just look daft, so can't just get a nice cheap plain round band like I want! Waaaaah!

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

I just dont see the need to have a notch one.  My plain band wasnt cheap:(

• Mrs17Mrs17 Posts: 876 New bride

H Samuel seem to have a good selection of palladium shaped rings! Similar to you, a straight band didn't quite sit flush against my engagement ring, so I went for a wishbone shape.

Hope this helps!

http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/l/jewellery/occasion%7Cwedding/recipient%7Cher/category%7Crings/#/webstore/l/jewellery/category%7Crings/material%7Cpalladium/occasion%7Cwedding/recipient%7Cher/

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

Moggle,  I had the same problem as you with my ER and WR.  My stone was too bulky meaning the rings wouldn't sit together unless I had one made to fit around my ER.  I didn't want this because I will sometimes want to just wear my WR on its own and it looks silly in my opinion to have a dent in it where my ER would usually sit.

Anyway, when I tried plain bands on I actually quite liked the gap in-between it looked quite dainty and I liked the separation and definition of the two rings.  However, I ended up falling in love with a ring totally different and in the end wouldn't settle for anything less.  It doesn't exactly 'go' with my ER but they slot together quite well because of the WR's unique shape.

This is my ring...maybe something like this could work for you too?

Hearts on Fire Destiny Platinum Diamond Twist Ring

P.s. Obviously you don't have to have the bling, but this shape maybe? but plain? x

• sugarmousesugarmouse Posts: 189

I wouldn't have gold with silver or white gold with traditional coloured gold. I think it would be okay to have silver and white gold together. They would look fine but I don't know if over time one metal would damage or discolour the other. Perhaps check this with the jeweller.

I had a wishbone shaped wedding ring to fit around my engagement ring. This helps keep my engagement ring still as well because the weight makes it move even though it's the right size for my finger. I looked at standard ones but together they just looked wrong and pushed themselves apart which on very small hands is even more of a nuisance.

Thanks ladies, I managed to get one that fits snug to my engagement ring and looks pretty too - success! I ordered it from Fraser Hart and it should be here soon, can't wait 

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride
    MrsG2bxx is that Neil Lane??? Not that I know his stock or anything.. 
    MrsG2bxx wrote (see post):

Moggle,  I had the same problem as you with my ER and WR.  My stone was too bulky meaning the rings wouldn't sit together unless I had one made to fit around my ER.  I didn't want this because I will sometimes want to just wear my WR on its own and it looks silly in my opinion to have a dent in it where my ER would usually sit.

Anyway, when I tried plain bands on I actually quite liked the gap in-between it looked quite dainty and I liked the separation and definition of the two rings.  However, I ended up falling in love with a ring totally different and in the end wouldn't settle for anything less.  It doesn't exactly 'go' with my ER but they slot together quite well because of the WR's unique shape.

This is my ring...maybe something like this could work for you too?

Hearts on Fire Destiny Platinum Diamond Twist Ring

P.s. Obviously you don't have to have the bling, but this shape maybe? but plain? x

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

MrsG2bxx is that Neil Lane??? Not that I know his stock or anything.. 

Helen225 - No this one is Hearts on Fire from Beaverbrooks but I tried on the Neil Lane one so know what you are talking about.  The Neil Lane one was 14ct white gold and I wanted 18ct to match my ER as I was told repeatedly to match the metals so they wouldn't damage one another. 

xx

• SpacepuffinSpacepuffin Posts: 664

That's a lovely ring Moggle - good find. X

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Oooo Moggle that is lovely please do post a pic of how it fits to your ER when it arrives!