Bridal jacket will I need one in late May

We can never predict the weather and I tend to feel the cold more than most people I know. I don't think I will need a big thick bolero but I might need something to cover my arms even indoors at the reception. Failing that I could pinch the grooms suit jacket and wear that lol. Has anyone got any suggestions. I don't want to wear anything that goes under my dress. Oh and to complicate things I am vegan no fur (nobody should wear this. It's sickening IMHO!) no silk or wool. Nothing which came from an animal basically. Fake fur is fine, acrylic, nylon, cotton, polyester all okay. Budget £40 max maybe £50 at a push with P&P

• You should be able to find a lace jacket type thing easily enough (if that'll go with your dress?) I'm not sure how much warmth it will give you though...

Bit off topic, but why no silk or wool?

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

I'm eying something like this up, not sure if it's along the right lines. I haven't looked at the material as presumably she can make it using whatever 'wool' you want as it's custom made. 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/226992462/made-to-order-hand-knitted-wedding

• sugarmousesugarmouse Posts: 189

Hi The new Mrs P in answer to your question I don't use silk or wool because Vegans avoid the use of animals in any form. Silk like leather comes as a result of the death of an animal and wool is part of the whole process of farming animals. The majority of wool which comes from sheep which have been slaughtered and the shearing process of live sheep can be quite brutal. Vegetarians wear wool but should not be wearing silk, leather or suede.

Rule of thumb -

Vegetarians - don't eat or wear anything which came from the body of a dead animal

Vegans - don't eat or wear or use anything from an animal or take part in animal entertainment eg; zoos, circuses, animal displays in shopping centres. Vegans are much stricter than vegetarians.

It's a way of life based on strong ethical beliefs not dissimilar to being a Christian or Muslim. I hope I have explained without sounding 'preachy.'

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561

Sugarmouse, I do think get one just in case! 

Just read through your post, thank you for explaining the vegan/vegetarian thinking. I honestly didn't know and it's been an education. 

What materials are you looking at with that in mind? I've seen really thin boleros and not sure they are used to keep you warm, they're more for show! 

• sugarmouse wrote (see post):

Hi The new Mrs P in answer to your question I don't use silk or wool because Vegans avoid the use of animals in any form. Silk like leather comes as a result of the death of an animal and wool is part of the whole process of farming animals. The majority of wool which comes from sheep which have been slaughtered and the shearing process of live sheep can be quite brutal. Vegetarians wear wool but should not be wearing silk, leather or suede.

Rule of thumb -

Vegetarians - don't eat or wear anything which came from the body of a dead animal

Vegans - don't eat or wear or use anything from an animal or take part in animal entertainment eg; zoos, circuses, animal displays in shopping centres. Vegans are much stricter than vegetarians.

It's a way of life based on strong ethical beliefs not dissimilar to being a Christian or Muslim. I hope I have explained without sounding 'preachy.'

Thanks for the explanation, not preachy at all. Think I need to go look at the wool process a bit more. I didn't think many sheep were slaughtered for food/wool as mutton is (apparently) very tough. 

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

I found a nice one in denehams, look on line they were about £50.  Also monsoon?  

I bought a velvet jacket but it was £85 so no good for you.  

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,122 New bride

How about a shawl from somewhere like monsoon? You may struggle to find a decent looking jacket for under £40