What made you chose your veil

I know its very much down to the dress, but what made you decide whether you wanted one or if youd go for a birdcage one over a traditional one, a long one or short one?

• Rosegold017Rosegold017 Posts: 476

I bought mine from the shop where I got my dress, as the shop owner picked it out and added it when I was trying my dress on. Then she threw it in as part of the deal. It is elbow length and I thought it was really pretty. Always wanted to wear a veil as you don't often get the chance.

I don't think I will have it covering my face as I walk down the aisle though.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,012 New bride

Trying on veils with the dress! I really think that's the only way. I always liked ones about waist length with little drop crystals on them, but ended up with a full length plain veil as that's what worked with the dress. The one I tried in the store was also super soft and vintage looking, unlike many veils which are quite stiff so I knew I needed that. Didn't buy it in the bridal store but it made me see what I needed!

• I had a 144" long 108" wide white shimmer veil with scattered crystals last time....... my ex's uncle stood on it coming out of the ceremony and said 'your fault for having such a stupidly long veil' 

im quite thinking i might not even have one this time around, but J has mentioned he has this vision of lifting it off my face to kiss me........ so im in termoil haha! 

like i say, i know it will very much depend on the dress, but i was looking at birdcage ones the other day on pinterest & etsy and i quite like them, it just poses an issue with other ideas i had re hair style and hair accessories...... plenty of time to change everything 6 times over though haha

Birdcage ones I don't think you can lift them? They are quite stiff and fixed in one place? You could always wear one just for the ceremony, a short-ish one with a blusher (the bit that goes over your face) then ditch it after the ceremony.

I'm not wearing mine over my face! I think it would stick to my lipgloss haha. I feel like that wouldn't be a good look...

• Rosegold017Rosegold017 Posts: 476
    Sammykate wrote (see post):

I'm not wearing mine over my face! I think it would stick to my lipgloss haha. I feel like that wouldn't be a good look...

I hadn't thought of that! Could get messy haha

Rosegold017 wrote (see post):
    Sammykate wrote (see post):

I hadn't thought of that! Could get messy haha

When I had my (bad) make up trial the lady asked if I was wearing a veil and said I should wear a matte lipstick if so. But I don't like matte! So as I'm not having a blusher I'm going to risk a glossy lip.

• yeah, i dont think you can lift them, i just like the idea of the veil but not really a veil..... i dont like the idea of lipgloss issues either haha! 

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I knew from the beginning I wanted to super long veil as you only get to wear it once so thought I'd just go for it haha! Of course it has to tie in with the dress which my cathedral length does, in fact I wanted to extend the train a bit so it was meant to be.

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I never really thought or cared much about it. Im always the one to stand on brides cathedral length veils (😳) but I thought they look nice.

My mum had a cathedral length with a few tiers, I always thought Id borrow that but she binned it when she got divorced.

When I went dress shopping they asked about veils and I said cathedral length, single tier and plain, to avoid the pouffy frilliness the extra tier seemed to have added to my mums.

I bought one off ebay for £11 though. I have the unpopular view that its a long piece of fabric and not much more (mine certainly is, I see no skill or craftsmanship in a plain single tier and cant tell any difference between the identical one in the shop, apart from hundreds of pounds in price) So I didnt want to spend money on it when its going to get taken off after pictures and never worn again, and probably stood on (by me if nobody else😂).

I might have a look at the extortionate shop ones when I go for fittings because I paid them no attention whatsoever, somebody just stuck one on my head as soon as I said I liked the dress!

As to why I decided to wear one at all, I just assumed I would because its the only chance you ever get. But in reality Im not sure now and will just decide on the day whether to wear it or not. I think I might find it really annoying now Ive put more thought into it, and I dont like the feel of it pulling behind me when i practise at home. Might be different once I try it with the dress though.

• My veil was the very first thing I had sorted for my wedding and if anything it was the veil that influenced the dress I ended up choosing - I was adamant I was going to wear my mums veil! Its silly really as it was over my face for all of 1 minute 30 as I walked down the aisle (my mum lifted it as soon as I reached the front) but it was important to me to have that nod towards my parents wedding day. It was slightly altered though - it was originally cathedral length but that didn't suit the feel of our day so the seamstress put a small stitch in it to gather it and make it slightly shorter.

I'm not sure I would have spent hundreds on one had I had to buy one, or even if I would have bothered if I had had to source one, but looking back I'm so glad I did wear a veil. I love the way it looks in the photos and one of the most vivid memories I have of the day was when I first put it on - it really did make me feel like 'the bride' (as kids it was always the part of the fancy dress that differentiates you from wearing just another princess dress). On the other hand, it was a pain with several people stepping on it, and pulling it out of my hair when they went to hug me/have photos taken with arms round me.

Reading all that back I'm not sure its that helpful - sorry!!

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

I wanted the whole veil and train thing because i didnt have it when i married at 19.  

My dress has a matching full length single tier veil covered in large petals, i will remove it once we get to the reception venue.  

If anyone steps on it they will pull my whole flower crown off and all the pins so they will be glared at severely!   

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 722 New bride

MrsJ2017, I completely agree and even more so having watched tons of videos on how to make one so I can shorten mine.

I didn't wear my veil first time but really feel the need t. I brought a lovely one for £12 off eBay but when I tried my dress on for the first time it is the wrong colour so I have £39 and it's a beautiful very sheer champagne veil. Chapel length raw edge and plain.

I don't want anything t detracting from my dress and I  think you can have to much detail/ sparkle especially when you add earring, necklaces and hairpieces (but this is me and i am not saying people shouldn't do it)

• GillP2GillP2 Posts: 332

I am really struggling to find a veil to match my dress at the moment, the one in the shop was £250 which I just can't bear to spend on something like that, may end up going for a totally plain one from Ebay! x

Gill don't pay that for one! What kind of veil are you looking for? Lots of brides on here will be able to point you in the right direction as we all have experience sourcing different types of veils!

Thanks Sammykate, I want a full length one, either Cathedral or Royal length and am undecided between totally plain or lace edging! I got a quote from a lady who can do lace trimmed for £85 but I am nervous about the lace matching/colour matching etc. 

xx

• You could ask if she does samples? Then match up with your dress? 

Afterallthistime Thank you! Great idea :)

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

You could also find out what lace is used on your dress. after a bit of googling I found out my dress has 'venice lace', so try that and then you can request the right lace.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Gill - I got a lace edged one from Blossom and Bluebird on etsy (she does custom veils) and when choosing the lace she literally sent me pictures of about 30 to choose from, then the actual samples of the ones I liked. Or you could send her a pic of your lace, she is really friendly and flexible!

Definitely don't get the £250 one! Mine was £250 in the bridal shop and £100 less on etsy.

£85 seems like a good price for a full length veil with lace- mine was £90 (also from Blossom and Bluebird on Etsy, Jenni is right she is fab) and it's a chapel length plain 1 tier. Defo get material samples- I had them from 5 or 6 stores and they were all wrong until I found Blossom and Bluebird as I needed super soft tulle. You can then take the samples to hold up to your dress before you decide!

The colour choices can be very confusing- I had ivory veils from ebay that looked yellow- my actual veil is ivory but not yellow in the slightest! And some shops have many different colours- white, diamond white, ivory, light ivory, dark ivory... the whole veil buying thing is a minefield!

Great, thanks for your help girls! I will wait until my dress arrives and then take the samples in to match. I have sent a clearer picture of the lace on my dress to the lady who makes the veils and also asked her to price a full length ivory plain one as well. 

I agree SammyKate, minefield!

xx

• I was never a big fan of veils before dress shopping and I was nervous about trying one on as it all seemed a bit too 'fancy dress' for me; as soon as I did though and chose one for myself i actually got just as excited about it as the dress. My veil was two teired chapel length with a fine ribboned edge. I absolutely loved wearing in on my wedding day; some people did pull on it, especially during photos, but I didn't care, it just reminded me it was there and made me happy to see how much people cared about how I looked- they apologise so much for even touching your veil or dress, like you're the queen or something! 

Now my wedding is over I actually find myself looking at people's veils in wedding photos almost as much as the dress and love how the colour contrasts with hair.