When to buy my wedding dress...

... my wedding is 15 months away but I cant decide when to buy my dress. I have seen one online I like (the Kitty and Dulcie Hopelessly Devoted dress http://www.kittyanddulcie.com/got-the-love-collection/17-hopelessly-devoted-cheap-wedding-dress.html ) but it's a bit early isnt it? 

I have been looking for ages but haven't actually seen one I like more than that. Do I take the plunge now, only to risk seeing something i like even more in the 15 months in between?

What's a "normal" amount of time to order a dress?

Also, if anyone has any Kitty and Dulcie experiences i'd love to hear them!

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

I'm having the same dilemma, I desperately want to buy one but I know it's too soon.  I've got 19 months to go!!

Have you actually tried any on or have you just been looking online?  I don't think it's too early for you to visit some dress shops and try some different styles on.  Then you'll be able to narrow it down to what you like and what you don't like.  Apparently the 'norm' is to order 12 months before, that's if you get it from a bridal store, so your not far off that. 

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

I would say 6-9 months before to minimise the chances of dress regret. 

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Agree with hails.  You need enough time for alterations and ordering but not too much that you see something in the new seasons fashion.  

• Mrs17Mrs17 Posts: 876 New bride

Hey Rachel

I don't think 15 months is too far out at all. I ordered mine 15 months out. I haven't had any regrets, only moments of panic when I realised I hadn't started my diet early enough!!! On a serious note though, it sounds like you've only been looking, and haven't actually tried any one. I had 3 shopping appointments - I found my dress at the first one, but booked 2 more just to make sure I had tried plenty on and was sure. I found it hard to get appointments, so it was about 6 weeks between originally trying 'my' dress on, and going back to order it, so if you look at a timeline like that, you'll only be about 13months out anyway

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,122 New bride
    Wibble2017 wrote (see post):

Hey Rachel

I don't think 15 months is too far out at all. I ordered mine 15 months out. I haven't had any regrets, only moments of panic when I realised I hadn't started my diet early enough!!! On a serious note though, it sounds like you've only been looking, and haven't actually tried any one. I had 3 shopping appointments - I found my dress at the first one, but booked 2 more just to make sure I had tried plenty on and was sure. I found it hard to get appointments, so it was about 6 weeks between originally trying 'my' dress on, and going back to order it, so if you look at a timeline like that, you'll only be about 13months out anyway

i hadn't thought about having to wait for appointments! Me and the MOH need to get on it, I want to get things moving because i'm just too excited to wait!

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,122 New bride
    Kelly224 wrote (see post):

I'm having the same dilemma, I desperately want to buy one but I know it's too soon.  I've got 19 months to go!!

Have you actually tried any on or have you just been looking online?  I don't think it's too early for you to visit some dress shops and try some different styles on.  Then you'll be able to narrow it down to what you like and what you don't like.  Apparently the 'norm' is to order 12 months before, that's if you get it from a bridal store, so your not far off that. 

I've not tried any on in a shop, only similar style high street dresses so i know the style fits me. I'm only 5ft2 but have a rather large chest so strapless styles do nothing for me, other than make me look like i'm wearing a towel. I can't wait to try dresses on, it still feels very surreal!

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I would say start now, I found mine with 17 months to go. I haven't had any dres wobbles. 

I would say I visited four shops in total and I took my time. I also work in a school and have two children so really only had the holiday periods to go shopping.  Make sure you rarch the stores you want to visit especially if there is a certain designer you like. I wasn't fixed on a certain designer but as a curvy bride I didn't want to go dress shopping and not be able to try a dress on, making sure of the sizes the store stocked was priority for me. 

• I would say start now :)

I get married in 15 months and have just bought mine and I became a bridal shopaholic and went to 7 bridal shops over a good few months!🙈

If you fall in love with one you can always hold off on purchasing it if it makes you feel better.

Every shop is different but my shop suggest 12 months before because it could take up to 9 months for the dress to come in and they like a few months for alterations. X

• FutureMRS TFutureMRS T Posts: 108

I would say start going to bridal shops and trying on dresses now, take your time and enjoy the experience. My wedding is 16months away and I have booked my first try on for end of May. 

Im also having a destination wedding as was told to try dresses on at least a year before the wedding to ensure my dress is ready at least a month before we jet off.

defintly try on dresses and be open minded. It's so exciting! I can't wait for my first appointment. Will also be taking my time to find the dress I am happy with :)

• Blush2018Blush2018 Posts: 554 New bride

I was wondering the same thing. I get married in just under 14 months, and I really want to try dresses on, however, I feel i need to lose a little bit of weight, because i know i will feel uncomfortable otherwise, so I've put myself on a diet and aim to try on end of June (12 months before the wedding).

• Nikki-93Nikki-93 Posts: 171

I bought mine in Feb and my wedding is July 2018. I don't look at any other dresses and seeing photo's of dresses are completely different to actually trying on a dress. I don't look at pictures of myself in my dress either to reduce the risk of other thinking everything.

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I am getting married in May 2018 and have just chosen/ordered mine. 

Lots of brides on here advised waiting until 9-10 months until choosing one to reduce doubt. If there is no benefit to ordering it now, I would wait a bit longer as there is no harm doing that. I planned on looking and once I found what I thought was the one waiting until 10 months to go before ordering. It didn't happen! 

I started looking in January and I'm glad I had plenty of time as it took me nearly 4 months to decide. I was starting to wonder whether I wasn't going to get that "one" feeling and maybe I would have to make my decision out of those I loved. When I found the one they offered 10% off if you ordered it on your first visit. I decided to be brave and go for it! I'm the type of person that can overthink things, talk myself out of it and I would still have no dress!  I had visited 6 shops and was sure this was the one.

I don't know whether I will have any dress wobbles as I get closer to the day, but I haven't thought twice about my decision so far (2 weeks!!) which is a good sign. 

• I started looking a year before and it took me a lot of appointments (14!!) to find my dress so I would advise you start looking as soon as. 

You can then take your time to decide rather than being rushed as dresses take a while to come in then you still have to factor in time for alterations etc.