MOB

Whats your mum wearing on the day?

My mums sent me a picture of an ivory or grey floor length fishtail type chiffon and beaded dress. It has long sleeves and a low back, Its lovely but a bit OTT imo, I picture the mums in a little dress, jacket and hat because thats all Ive ever seen at weddings. This one in ivory could easily be a wedding dress, the only thing missing is a train.

I like the dress and wouldnt dream of telling her what she can or cant wear, but just wondered if anyone elses mum wore/plans to wear something so dramatic?

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

Hmmmm that does sound a bit over the top to me. I think by showing you it too she is seeking your feedback/approval, so i would be honest and tell her its a bit much. 

I hadn't even thought about what my mom would wear but she asked me what i thought of a dress and i happened to like it. She's wearing this 

http://www.mandco.com/jacques-vert-cape-drape-shift-dress-pink/6002065.html?cgid=10010090040&dwvar_6002065_color=0130#start=159

much more typical mother of bride

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

For my brothers wedding my Mum wore a lovely fitted knee length dress and borero jacket, she looked lovely.

It does sound a bit bridal, could you maybe suggest the two of you go shopping for her outfit together, that way you can choose some outfits for her to try? 

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

MrsNolan, that's a lovely dress your Mum has chosen.

• MrsE2B2017MrsE2B2017 Posts: 12

Mrs J - is there anyway your Mum could tone the dress down a bit, perhaps with the right jacket and the right accessories it will make you feel a bit more comfortable and she will be happy too. Perhaps you could shop for the accessories together.

Good Luck!

• PinguinPinguin Posts: 141

depends on the wedding... shell be too over dressed if your doing jeans and plaid but she'll fit right in at black tie

• MoggleMoggle Posts: 556

My mums wearing a floor length fitted gown with sparkles on the top - but it's navy so not really wedding dress-like. She absolutely hated all of the traditional MoB outfits so this is much more her style and it's really lovely on. Here's a pic:

If your mum really loves the dress and you don't think it's too OTT, could you steer her towards the grey? Or is it like an ivory one that looks a bit grey, not the option of Ivory or grey? Have you got a pic? 

• MoggleMoggle Posts: 556

Ignore my comment lol, just noticed you said you think it IS a bit OTT. Has she tried other options on yet or is she thinking she's set on the ivory/grey one?

• Giraffe888Giraffe888 Posts: 678

At my previous wedding and both my brothers weddings last year my mum dresssd way OTT! at my previous wedding people thought she was MOH or something 😮

for them all she wore floor length, taffeta, lots of sparkle and detailing across the top, a small train and a bolero jacket!!!

As my wedding this time is very small (just us and parents) I'm praying she reigns it in a little otherwise she'll look hideous and I know my FMIL will then feel conscious!

you need to sway your mum away from the dress if you think it's too OTT x

• Rachael116Rachael116 Posts: 150

My mums wearing this dress and jacket combo with navy shoes and bag - we hope to find a two colour fascinator to bring it all together.

imageimage

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Heres the dress, on closer inspection Im not sure it even is ivory? Looks to be a pink tinge? I dont think the grey is as nice and that she could get a nicer dress than the grey version.

Shes said in the past that she wants to outshine the bridesmaids, which I think was a joke, but now shes wanting to be a bride again, shes planning a vow renewal, and I wonder if thats why this has caught her eye.

Ive suggested a shopping trip and she seems keen.

I wouldnt say we have a dress code either, the men are in tux but the bridesmaids will be in knee length dresses and the guests can wear whatever they like, so I do think its OTT.

I dont want an overly formal day and I think this dress is more suited to a really posh wedding.

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

My mum is wearing this 

http://www.ianstuart-london.com/dress/isl691/

Nothing like I thought she was going to choose. Or what she originally showed me. 

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

My mum is wearing an outfit she had designed and made for her in Goa, she thinks I hate it because I was really shocked when she showed it to me as normally she wears very bright colours so I was expecting her to wear a bright pink or turquoise outfit not a navy one. I do like it and it's very her except the colour we've found a bag that matches perfectly from monsoon and she is having a fascinator custom made by a lovely lady who sells on Etsy but coincidentally lives just down the road so we were able to go to her workshop for a design consultation.

imageimage

it is hand beaded and hand painted with a coppery colour gold, overcoat in chiffon with a tunic top and tapered trousers.

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993
    FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

My mum is wearing this 

http://www.ianstuart-london.com/dress/isl691/

Nothing like I thought she was going to choose. Or what she originally showed me. 

Love your mums outfit!

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 994 New bride

I'm not sure what my mum will wear to my wedding next year, but our colour scheme is orange, red, white and gold! 

She LOVES oranges, browns and greens and reds so I'm sure she will have a dress somewhere with all those colours! 

• MrsJ2017 I think it's a lovely dress ! 

I was in a similar situation. My mum dosent like wearing dresses so she has opted for a ivory jumpsuit (which is actually from a bridal range) But I don't mind at all.

If this dress was for a aunty or sister then ok a bit OTT but for mam ? It all goes down to if it suits her aswell. Without sounding mean... If she looks good in it and you just don't want her to wear it as she might be centre of attention. Just remember where you get your good looks from ! 

Just get her to add coloured accessories to it.

Xxx

• Alex52Alex52 Posts: 164

I think it might depend on what your dress looks like, if yours is also a slimmer shap and beaded it might be a bit close. It really depends on her accessories as well, if she went for the blush type style that you've pictured and matched it with a bright pink it would look MOB in my opinion (pairing the grey with black would also look similar IMO) if she goes for the blush and say cream/ivory then its too bridal. 

As a side point wheres the dress from? I really like it for a wedding dress (but I'm avoiding 'traditional' styles)

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

I think the jumpsuit and the op dress are both too much.  However if the men are in tux and the wedding is black tie then fine but never ivory or white.  

whats wrong with a day occasion dress or suit?  

Stick to dress codes, if its in the day time is a casual occasionally in short dress, if its evening then its formal and long.  

Im not worried about her being the centre of attention, no doubt thats going to be me 😂 I just think it might look like shes overdressed. I dont think the grey would suit her complexion, but the blush could easily be a wedding dress and that why I think its too much. If it was a darker colour that suited her itd be fine.

My dress is a full skirt and has straps but not long sleeves, its beaded and low backed though so it is similar in that sense, not enough to look like mine though.

• PinguinPinguin Posts: 141
    MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

I think the gray dress is lovely and perfectly fine for a mother of the bride - its dark but not black, has a high neck and sleeves I cant see any way its inappropriate to be honest although the ivory would be just because you dont wear white/ivor/cream to a wedding

im having a casual wedding and wouldnt mind someone wearing the gray version, its not really your job to police is she look 'too dressed up'

Pinguin wrote (see post):
    MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

I think the gray dress is lovely and perfectly fine for a mother of the bride - its dark but not black, has a high neck and sleeves I cant see any way its inappropriate to be honest although the ivory would be just because you dont wear white/ivor/cream to a wedding

im having a casual wedding and wouldnt mind someone wearing the gray version, its not really your job to police is she look 'too dressed up'

Im not 'policing' anything 😂 She asked my opinion of the dress and as I said in the original post, I wouldnt tell anyone what they can and cant wear, just my personal opinion that its an OTT dress in the light colour. Grey doesnt suit her so its a shame it doesnt come in another darker colour.

Alex52 wrote (see post):

I think it might depend on what your dress looks like, if yours is also a slimmer shap and beaded it might be a bit close. It really depends on her accessories as well, if she went for the blush type style that you've pictured and matched it with a bright pink it would look MOB in my opinion (pairing the grey with black would also look similar IMO) if she goes for the blush and say cream/ivory then its too bridal. 

As a side point wheres the dress from? I really like it for a wedding dress (but I'm avoiding 'traditional' styles)

Its by 'catherines of patrick' thats all i know sorry!

• Bride759Bride759 Posts: 19

I agree that the dress is too close to looking like a wedding dress. As an alternative, Jenny Packham have some similar dresses in Debenhams which are much less "bride-y". Hope the link works! 

http://m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_008010740986_-1

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,609 New bride

In my opinion it's a bit OTT- it looks like something you would wear to a black tie ball, not a day time wedding! But if my mum wanted to wear it I would probably just shrug and think she might look a bit out of place but that's her own choice..

My mum is wearing a dusky pink lace knee length dress with a brown jacket- fairly classic MOB! I think she might be wearing a fascinator but not sure. She sent me pics before she bought but I know she has good taste so I trust her. The only thing I might have objected to is a really bright colour like scarlet red as my theme is pastels so she would clash against the BMs in the photos!

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,107 New bride

to my first wedding, my ex MIL wore a dress in an identical shade to the bridesmaids (she planned it like that) so that everyone thought she was one, it was so awkward but she loved it.

In my personal opinion, i think the blush dress is too much and i wouldn't be happy if my mum wore it as to me it would feel like she's trying to steal my thunder a bit, however if you're both happy with it and it's not going to cause too many problems i would just let her wear it. It's a bit of a minefield after all!