Would you request compensation on dress?

hi all- my wedding is done and dusted and had such a wonderful day!! I'm envious of anyone still planning their day as it's truly the best day ever :)

I posted here before the wedding about my wedding dress issues. on my finished dress (which was made to measure) you could see the ridge at the bottom of the corset through the material. This wasn't visible on the dress I tried instore when I paid my deposit and iv attached this (the one with the belt). 

I ended up having to cut the corset out of my pricey suzanne Neville gown 2 weeks before the wedding. It was so unbelievably stressful and I was so so disappointed. I then had to starve myself to avoid the lumps and bumps and as I wasn't expecting to wear a dress with no corset! I've complained to the bridal store and have requested compensation. Do you think this is reasonable enough? Never mind the fact I ended up disappointed with a dress that was not what I ordered, I was under so much emotional stress also 

image Initial try on ( I was almost 2 stone heavier here!)

image Final dress where ridge is visible 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

yes I would, the fact is it was either faulty or you were misled. You wouldnt have ordered the dress in the first place if the sample had an obvious ridge across it.

Have the dress shop said anything about how or why this had happened?

• i complained and explained how distressing t was a s a customer to be put in a position where I either had to accept the ridge, or cut away the corset. They apologised but then said they showed my picture to the designer who said that's just the style of the dress. I said I cannot accept that as it's not visible on the first picture and it's not visible on other real brides and sent pics to prove this. I've requested compensation and awaiting to see what they say. At the end of the day someone has to be blamed for this and why should I pay all the money but have to sacrifice the quality through no fault of my own! 

• I totally don't blame you for asking and hopefully they will compensate. But... might be tricky as you accepted the dress (albeit you had little choice) and in their eyes they could think that you are trying to make money after the wedding (i know you are not)..

I wonder if you would have been covered by wedding insurance - if you took any out, or by your bank - as your goods weren't as discribed? X

• Thanks for this. I can see they might think that. But I'm hoping that it might help that I did highlight the issue Before trying to get alterations done, so they did know about it. It feels so unfair that I was either expected to just accept that line, or cut away the corset, yet still foot huge bill. 

• apologies if I've remembered this wrong, but did you say that you'd initially had the corset shortened so it was more comfortable sitting down?

• This was following highlighting to the bridal shop that the line was visible and shortening the corset was part of the attempt to hide this after their suggestions didn't work. I had 2 weeks til my wedding so what choice did I have than to try and fix it? 

• If you don't get anywhere make a huge deal on their social media. Lets face it, no one would chose a dress with the line visable x

• lauren318lauren318 Posts: 482

aww hope you manage to get some compensation xx

• Maybe try complaining directly to Suzanne Neville as well as the bridal shop? Splashing it across social media should help - at the moment it doesn't have to be overly negative - save that in case they say no! fingers crossed you get somewhere x

• Who do you think messed up?  Suzanne Neville, the shop, or the seamstress?

If its the seamstress, i doubt you'd get much joy from the designer or the shop tbh

• redhair82redhair82 Posts: 289 New bride

Have you got wedding insurance?

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

When you say it was a made to measure dress, what measurements was that based on? The measurements when you were 2 stone heavier?

I think it's a difficult one as although you raised the issue with them ultimately you accepted the dress. I think you'd probably have more of a case against the seamstress?

• MrsT2017MrsT2017 Posts: 224 New bride

X

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440

Just my opinion.... The first photo shows the dress fitting just right. The second photo - to me looks like it is too tight, therefore the line is showing.

Was the dress ordered too small? Or was it taken in?

The dress really needed to flow over the seam, not pulled tight over the seam.  That visible seam problem will always happen in that situation.  Bit like VPL, lol.

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440

Really it depends if you asked for it to be ordered 'too small', or asked for it to be taken in tighter OR the seamstress took in too much.