Two dresses too similar?

So call me a diva but I want to have two wedding dresses, my fiance and a few of my friends think I'm crazy but as much as I love my wedding dress I can't imagine myself dancing the night away and feeling comfortable in it at the reception. Luckily I bought my wedding dress in the sale so have a bit of money left over to get something else.  

My wedding dress is pronovias' Alexia. It has a huge trail and is off white and not too bling. I love the quality of it and how elegant I feel in it. I will wear this in the church. 

imageimage

For the reception I fell in love with the Essense of Australia D2423 dress. Its white with lots of bling and a bit more sexy which I think would look gorgeous in our reception venue. I would also get the trail removed so I can party the night away. 

imageimage

The dresses are cut quite similar. Just wondering what you ladies think, do they compliment each other well?

Some people are suggesting I just get another evening gown rather than a wedding dress but I want to feel like a bride all day! I'm also not very girly and never wear dresses and haven't quite got over how gorgeous I feel in a wedding dress. 

Let me know your honest thoughts!

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

The second dress could still be quite heavy and not ideal for dancing in that sense, have you tried it on? If i was to go for a second dress i would of gone less traditional and lighter so i could really feel relaxed and dance freely

• There’s nothing wrong with having two dresses - it’s your day so why not! I think the dresses complement each other but my only worry would be that the second dress probably won’t be much easier for the reception. Even with the train removed it’s still that fishtail style so it could be restrictive X

• Bebe2Bebe2 Posts: 61 New bride

I have tried it on and felt super glam in it! It was very comfortable as it has a belt which straps you in so it won't be falling down which I was worried about.

The second has a hoop under the dress which stops you tripping up on the material which makes it really easy to move and dance in compared to the first which is just layers and layers of material. 

• Bebe2 wrote (see post):

I have tried it on and felt super glam in it! It was very comfortable as it has a belt which straps you in so it won't be falling down which I was worried about.

The second has a hoop under the dress which stops you tripping up on the material which makes it really easy to move and dance in compared to the first which is just layers and layers of material. 

Sounds fab then! I think the two dresses really complement each other. Especially love the Essence of Australia dress x

• redhair82redhair82 Posts: 289 New bride

Personally I cannot really see much difference in them! It is your wedding, so do whatever you like, but if it was me to make it really worthwhile spending the extra money and "surprising" your guests with another dress, I would definitely go for something different. I wonder if you would be upset if some of the guests didn't even notice you'd changed? Especially after a few beers?! 

redhair82 wrote (see post):

Personally I cannot really see much difference in them! It is your wedding, so do whatever you like, but if it was me to make it really worthwhile spending the extra money and "surprising" your guests with another dress, I would definitely go for something different. I wonder if you would be upset if some of the guests didn't even notice you'd changed? Especially after a few beers?! 

You make a good point! I am pretty sure that most of the blokes and probably some of the girls wouldn't notice I'd changed at all. But I think it's just more the comfort and glam feeling I got in the second dress which I like.  But yes that is defo something to think about!

• I totally think you should have two dresses if you want them.  But I agree with several of the points already made.

One, the dresses are actually very similar in structure and style: they're both lace fishtails.  If dancing is the issue, you could just bustle the train on the first dress and save yourself the trouble and money.  They are so similar, that I agree with redhair that your guests will likely not even notice you're wearing something else (but maybe you don't care if they notice or not).

Two, I don't think I've ever heard of a bride claim a strapless fishtail gown was comfortable. Some may be more comfortable than others, but at the end of the day, almost everyone ends up with cleavage issues and sweaty thighs/ chaffing.  They aren't the ideal dress for dancing.  A less fitted, floaty dress would be better for dancing, or a short dress.  And dancing with a hoop?  Have you ever tried?  It's really difficult.  They don't really move, they more swing around in one rigid piece.  (I had one for a formal event once.)

I definitely think you should go for two dresses, but maybe deviate from the original style a bit.  I think you could find something a LOT easier to dance in and something that makes more of a noticeable fashion statement.  Like you said, you don't get to dress up often, so take advantage of it and get a second dress that gets noticed!

KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

I totally think you should have two dresses if you want them.  But I agree with several of the points already made.

One, the dresses are actually very similar in structure and style: they're both lace fishtails.  If dancing is the issue, you could just bustle the train on the first dress and save yourself the trouble and money.  They are so similar, that I agree with redhair that your guests will likely not even notice you're wearing something else (but maybe you don't care if they notice or not).

Two, I don't think I've ever heard of a bride claim a strapless fishtail gown was comfortable. Some may be more comfortable than others, but at the end of the day, almost everyone ends up with cleavage issues and sweaty thighs/ chaffing.  They aren't the ideal dress for dancing.  A less fitted, floaty dress would be better for dancing, or a short dress.  And dancing with a hoop?  Have you ever tried?  It's really difficult.  They don't really move, they more swing around in one rigid piece.  (I had one for a formal event once.)

I definitely think you should go for two dresses, but maybe deviate from the original style a bit.  I think you could find something a LOT easier to dance in and something that makes more of a noticeable fashion statement.  Like you said, you don't get to dress up often, so take advantage of it and get a second dress that gets noticed!

Thank you, you make some good points, I think maybe I should go back to the shop and try it on again, and maybe see if they have something similar with the top half style which I love but a more floaty bottom! Thigh chaffing does not sound fun!!! Maybe then I could keep my 'big' dress for the first dance and change in to something lighter once I feel I've had enough in that one. 

• AmyrosieAmyrosie Posts: 134 New bride

I’ve also seen a number of brides who have two dresses, then don’t bother changing as it’s too much hassle and they can’t be bothered, or just don’t want to break away from the party. 

There was a bride on here a couple of weeks ago selling her second dress that she’d never even worn. 

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

Personally I think they are too similar for two dresses, I'd want to wow twice and like others have said some people might not notice the difference.

I'd also be worried about dancing in dress 2 with it being strapless, dress 1 looks more dance worthy 

x

• gill17gill17 Posts: 568 New bride

I had 2 dresses which were similar shape. I changed for me, it wasn't to wow guests or whatever. If those are the 2 you like then go for it! If you can't have 2 dresses on ur wedding day then when can u!