Have I bought the wrong dress?! :(

Hi everyone,

I recently bought my wedding dress around 2 weeks ago.  I keep having this panic that I’ve not chosen the right one as now I’m obsessed with ’altering’ the dress.  I’ve literally been losing sleep over it and what is worst is my usual go to for these dilemmas is my fiancé - in most cases he’d put me at ease & tell me that I’m over thinking but in with tradition I’m keeping it all a secret! 

So I love the dress & my mum cried when she saw me in it, but I’m worried it’s too revealing.  It has a very modest front (high neck) but it has a low back & is of a ‘sheath’ style.  The problem is the sides run closely down my ribs, it doesn’t hug round the back if that makes any sense? I’ve chosen the Noah dress from Sottero & Midgley to give everyone a better idea of what I’m talking about. 

My question is... can it be altered to hug round my back more?  Or even to add more coverage?  I’ve ordered a size too big anyway to have it taken in but I‘m not sure how much of a difference that makes!  I really do love it but keep worrying I’m not going to feel totally comfortable in it. 

Thanks,

Geo x

• I don’t know what they could do to alter it, but it looks absolutely stunning and I personally don’t think it’s too revealing. I’m sure they could do something though. Perhaps turn it into an illusion neckline. When are you getting married? 

• Future Mrs Clarke wrote (see post):

I don’t know what they could do to alter it, but it looks absolutely stunning and I personally don’t think it’s too revealing. I’m sure they could do something though. Perhaps turn it into an illusion neckline. When are you getting married? 

Thank you! Yeah I’m just hoping something can be done, I don’t get the dress til mid July at the latest and I’m getting married 1st Sept 2018! So I think this is also what is stressing me out, I don’t get the dress for months & then I don’t have long to get alterations. I did try on another dress Evangelina from Maggie Sottero, which has beautiful detailing at the back which I’m sort of hoping could be added to my Noah dress? I didn’t like the overall fit of the Evangelina so I’m not wishing I’d purchased that dress just like the more concealed back. I’m almost avoiding calling a seamstress in case they tell me they can’t alter it! 

• Beth78 wrote (see post):

Perhaps a lace back would make you more comfortable? So it still shows your back but is more conservative?

Hi Beth, thanks.. that dress you‘ve attached is lovely, this is sort of down the line of what I’m thinking about, I’m hoping something similar or maybe just partially covering lower down and at the sides.  I guess as well the lace ties in with the illusion train too... :)

• My dress also has an open back similar to yours.

And like you it needs to be taken in at the top. I’m not sure how they alter a backless dress but I’m sure there must be a way, so don’t worry. A good seamstress can work miracles!

Some added lace partially covering the back and sides would look nice. But I think your dress is beautiful the way it is.

I get married on 2nd September this year. Day after you :)

• We have similar dresses (same make too believe it or not). The back of mine is the same and I'm also having a bit of a panic it is too revealing but also dont want to change anything incase it ruins it... Sheer panel maybe ?? x x

I know Maggie Sottero have a few dresses like that sort of style x x

• i was thinking the exact same thing as Abigail56!  I absolutely love a low back dress and think it would be a shame to completely cover your back. I also think your dress is beautiful the way it is, so classy and understated. You could definitely get away with showing a bit more skin at the back considering its high neck. But if you think you'd feel a bit more comfortable with a bit more coverage I think something like in these pics would be beautiful

imageimage

• Imho it doesn't matter how beautiful your dress looks in pictures or what other people think, what matters is what you think and feel about actually wearing it for a day.

If you don't think its right, change it - either get an expert opinion on the alterations you want, or find another dress.  Listen to your gut x

• When I was looking for my dress there were some that were too low for me at the back and the lady in the shop said they could order some lace that matched the dress and have it added, maybe ask your bridal shop if it is an option to order some lace from the company making the dress, then it will definitely match exactly. Its a beautiful dress as it is though :)

• It's a beautiful dress - and I'm not quite sure adding fabric to it would work. What about a veil? That way you have a bit more coverage for the ceremony but can take it off later. I'm sure it will hug you when altered, as that looks like the whole point of that particular style.

• Abigail56 wrote (see post):

My dress also has an open back similar to yours.

And like you it needs to be taken in at the top. I’m not sure how they alter a backless dress but I’m sure there must be a way, so don’t worry. A good seamstress can work miracles!

Some added lace partially covering the back and sides would look nice. But I think your dress is beautiful the way it is.

I get married on 2nd September this year. Day after you :)

Your dress is lovely!!! Especially all the embellishment down the back & sides, definitely a really similar cut too.  That's what I'm hoping, I think I should just take the plunge and get in contact with a seamstress ahead of time to see if they can work their magic!

Yay - Happy September Brides (if that's even a thing!) :) All the best for your day.

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

My dress has a low back but with an illusion back, my dress shop said it could be taken out so I assume it would be as easy to put one in.  I love the open backs that's why I'm considering getting rid of mine

Maybe go and have another try on and see what they say?

• girlgang209 wrote (see post):

We have similar dresses (same make too believe it or not). The back of mine is the same and I'm also having a bit of a panic it is too revealing but also dont want to change anything incase it ruins it... Sheer panel maybe ?? x x

I'm so glad I'm not the only one haha!  Yeah, I think a bad alteration could end up being worse than the original, but my hope is a good seamstress will advise on what can & can't be done.  A sheer panel is an option... but not sure if it goes with the style of dress I've picked as it is very plain and sleek!  So many decisions to make! Eek, I hope by the time I get the dress my worries will have gone hahah.

I think I also need to take into consideration the dress I tried in the shop was a full size too small, so the pics I have just now are not the most flattering as it's pretty tight, so I think that maybe that is obscuring how it will sit once I have the correct size... 

Do you have your dress already or waiting for it to arrive?

• Alice115 wrote (see post):

i was thinking the exact same thing as Abigail56!  I absolutely love a low back dress and think it would be a shame to completely cover your back. I also think your dress is beautiful the way it is, so classy and understated. You could definitely get away with showing a bit more skin at the back considering its high neck. But if you think you'd feel a bit more comfortable with a bit more coverage I think something like in these pics would be beautiful

imageimage

Thanks Alice, yes I think because it's so understated at the front that the open back does balance it out so it would be a shame to get rid of it.  Yes those pics are what I'm thinking, the first one with the illusion embellished detail nearer the low cut would most definitely put me at ease, do you think a seamstress could do that? 

• Ali S 71 wrote (see post):

Imho it doesn't matter how beautiful your dress looks in pictures or what other people think, what matters is what you think and feel about actually wearing it for a day.

If you don't think its right, change it - either get an expert opinion on the alterations you want, or find another dress.  Listen to your gut x

Thanks Ali, you're right.  I'm quickly realising I need to stop worrying and just call a seamstress to see what alterations they can make! :)

• SarahN83 wrote (see post):

When I was looking for my dress there were some that were too low for me at the back and the lady in the shop said they could order some lace that matched the dress and have it added, maybe ask your bridal shop if it is an option to order some lace from the company making the dress, then it will definitely match exactly. Its a beautiful dress as it is though :)

Ahh that's an idea, didn't even consider that, because the train on my dress has some embellished lace that might be an option!  I had been thinking if a seamstress adds in a random bit of material it might not fit, but that could be the perfect solution - thanks Sarah! :)

• Lexie2017 wrote (see post):

It's a beautiful dress - and I'm not quite sure adding fabric to it would work. What about a veil? That way you have a bit more coverage for the ceremony but can take it off later. I'm sure it will hug you when altered, as that looks like the whole point of that particular style.

Thanks Lexie, yes I'm almost certain that I will have a veil which gives me some comfort too.  It adds coverage but isn't a permanent fixture.  I think once I have the proper size and it's altered it will fit, I think what is getting  me worried is that I have to wait until mid July :( :( it's so long away!!!

• MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

My dress has a low back but with an illusion back, my dress shop said it could be taken out so I assume it would be as easy to put one in.  I love the open backs that's why I'm considering getting rid of mine

Maybe go and have another try on and see what they say?

Ooh that's interesting, didn't think of dresses being altered to remove the illusion. 

I think I should give them a call, but the problem is, the sample dress is actually too small for me & the pics I have of myself in it aren't the most flattering because it's tight in all the wrong places, so it might just make me freak even more haha.

• Hi @GeoBeana ;
    I am looking at buying the same Noah dress for my September 1st, 2019 wedding and am having the same concern about the back being too open. Did you end up putting in a panel? If so, would you mind sharing a picture of how it looked? How did you feel about it in the end?

Thanks for your help and congrats on your recent wedding!
    Alison