MOTB & MOTG outfits

We're only really just starting to plan but have finalised a colour scheme.

Navy, pink, white and gold.

We have picked out no dresses yet but MOTG has been looking at dresses already and has brought a navy one....should she be wearing a colour that isn't the same as the colour scheme?

I was also told MOTB should pick their outfit first?

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

I don't think it really matters much either way if the Mums wear something exactly in line with the colour scheme, personally we're not bothered and letting them choose what they want. Although if she's bought navy and that's one of your colours then I'm sure it'll look nice in photos to have her matching. If you don't want her matching then perhaps she could choose bright accessories to make her look a bit different.

I think it's "the done thing" to give the mother of the bride first pick over colours. My FMIL has asked my Mum what colour she's thinking of and has said she will wait until my Mum has decided on a one before she looks for an outfit herself. I think it's just a nice courtesy but nothing to get knickers in a twist over, there are plenty of other colours out there and nothing to say they can't both wear some variation of the same colour.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,846 New bride

Agree with Ashley - traditionally MOB gets first pick but it doesn't really matter.

Our colours are navy, gold, coral and mint and my mum has decided she wants to wear navy with cream accessories which is fine with me. MOG was terribly polite to us about it and we were just like "wear what you want and feel comfortable in!". She has said teal at the moment but she's a shopaholic so I can see that changing a few times over the next year!

• As long as they look nice, that is what matters. MOB and MOG don't traditionally match the colour scheme. I know that my MIL will wear black and white, she wears little else! She used to be big, but had a gastric sleeve and lost shed loads of weight. But still wears lots of black!

Believe it or not, some guests wear jeans at weddings! I had a couple at ours. A colleague at work had his brother show up to his wedding in jeans. I suppose at least they came!

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Don't even know if my mum or FMIL have bought theirs or what they will wear. I dont care, as long as they are happy and it's appropriate then no biggie to me

• RoseyGoldRoseyGold Posts: 164 New bride

Thanks Ladies. 

I just panicked that her dress may end up looking like the bridesmaid dresses. 

She's decided this afternoon (I haven't mentioned anything) that it's too short so is taking it back!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,846 New bride
    Mrs Squirrel Manning wrote (see post):

As long as they look nice, that is what matters. MOB and MOG don't traditionally match the colour scheme. I know that my MIL will wear black and white, she wears little else! She used to be big, but had a gastric sleeve and lost shed loads of weight. But still wears lots of black!

Believe it or not, some guests wear jeans at weddings! I had a couple at ours. A colleague at work had his brother show up to his wedding in jeans. I suppose at least they came!

If anyone turns up to my wedding day in jeans they'll be sent straight back out the door again! I wouldn't mind if it was an evening guest but you can buy a pair of black trousers and a shirt so cheaply in supermarkets etc. that there is really no excuse.