Tattoos

Has anybody else got a tattoo that will be showing? I've got a one-shoulder dress with a small black tattoo on my left shoulder of a rat or squirrel footprint. I didn't get it until I was 40 and sure what I wanted. God knows what I'd have ended up with had I got one in my 20s!

Anyway, I feel OK about it myself, but I feel that other people can be judgemental, even though tattoos are increasingly popular nowadays. Even my mum has one (I think I influenced her lol).

I read that some venues refuse to allow weddings if any of the bridal party have tattoos! How snobby is that? What do you think? OK, maybe if the tattoo is a big one on your face, but come on, it's the 21st century! I have worked good admin jobs for 30 years, does the tattoo brand me a likely troublemaker?

What does anyone else think? Are others proudly gonna show their tattoos off?

PS I'm so radical, I have a pierced nose too, lol! It's so subtle though that when I have pointed it out to peeps I have worked with for years, they've said 'Oh yes  I never noticed before now!'

• Mrs Squirrel Manning wrote (see post):

I read that some venues refuse to allow weddings if any of the bridal party have tattoos! How snobby is that? What do you think? 

I don’t actually have any tattoos (and probably never will, not that I don’t like them on other people - H2B has his entire forearm tattooed) but wanted to say I was gobsmaked reading the thing about venues! 😠 I would be livid if I were told I couldn’t get married because of a tattoo!  As you said they’re very common these days and I think I know more people with a tattoo than without! 

Surely all of your friends and family already know bout the tattoo so it won’t be a surprise to them? If they don’t, I hardy think that anyone will pass comment on something so insignificant on such a special day! If you’re happy to show it off, then go for it! 😊

• I've got 4 tattoos, 2 rather large ones. The one that will most likely show is my quarter sleeve on my upper right arm but my dress has sheer bell sleeves so it will not be immediately noticeable. I'm getting married in a church and even though I have no shame over my tattoos, I just thought it a little more respectful to the church if I covered up a little bit. My dress is gorgeous though and I would have probably picked it even if I didn't have the tattoo on my arm! 

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 785 New bride

I have a few tattoos, most are hidden just by chance, not a conscious choice. I have recently had my first tattoo reworked though because my dress has a keyhole back and the tattoo is big in the centre of my spine and I want to feel confident with it :) 

I've never heard of places refusing if people have tattoos - that's laughable. They'll change their tune in 10 years when their business takes a nose dive because the next generation will all have tattoos.

I also have piercings but they're mostly in my ears and body piercings, I only have one on my face - a decorative nose ring. But I'm thinking of swapping it for a little stud and instead getting a septum ring, not sure!

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 703 New bride

I have never ever heard of venues refusing tattoos and I book venues for a living 😂 How does that make any business sense?! Certainly wouldn’t be a venue I would want to book and none of us have tattoos...

• Kitty12Kitty12 Posts: 119 New bride

I have a few including two on my wrists. There was no way I could hide them even if I wanted to, but to be honest the thought never crossed my mind. I guess I’m just so used to seeing them I don’t even register them any more!

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,077 New bride

This is mine, you can see it in my dress. I have a few more but this is the only one that is easily visible! I'll have a long veil so it will be partly covered in church. Never heard of a venue turning away people with tattoos- surely not, it makes no sense. 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 785 New bride
    GinAndBling wrote (see post):

This is mine, you can see it in my dress. I have a few more but this is the only one that is easily visible! I'll have a long veil so it will be partly covered in church. Never heard of a venue turning away people with tattoos- surely not, it makes no sense. 

STUNNING 

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,077 New bride
    Awhelenqt wrote (see post):
    GinAndBling wrote (see post):

STUNNING 

thank you! x

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,468 New bride

I don't have tattoos, and don't like them overall, but I don't feel that a venue can, or should discriminate against someone for having them.  If they were going to do that, then they would be rejecting weddings such as David and Victoria Beckham, Robbie Williams, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, just to name a few.  I can, to a certain degree, understand facial tattoos but even in that case  what difference does it make if they are paying the bill in full!

• I have 4 tattoos, 3 of which were visible on my wedding day. They are a part of me, and I don't regret showing them at all. If people want to judge then that definitely says more about them than me for having them in the first place!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,077 New bride
    MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

I have never ever heard of venues refusing tattoos and I book venues for a living 😂 How does that make any business sense?! Certainly wouldn’t be a venue I would want to book and none of us have tattoos...

I don't think this is true, I don't think that would actually be legal.

• I had read about this particular venue. But as it doesn't come under any kind of race, religious, sexuality etc protection, I should imagine it is true. Really it is no different to night clubs having a policy of not letting people in with trainers on. I don't agree with it, and think that it would be bad for business, but I did read about the case and I do believe it, I didn't make it up, why do people think I did?

• Barbie3Barbie3 Posts: 340

tattoos r so 'normal' these days I doubt anyone who's opinion is worth anything 2 u will even blink.

N if a veue is so snobby as 2 exclude people with tattoos becos of some decades old prejudise, then they don't deserve ur custom anyway...

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,077 New bride

I didn't say you made it up. But I 'hear' lots of things that aren't necessarily true. If it has been reported then why not just name the venue.

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

I didn't say you made it up. But I 'hear' lots of things that aren't necessarily true. If it has been reported then why not just name the venue.

It was a long time ago, maybe 5 years ago, I did not keep the article, I cannot possibly keep every magazine I buy, and I certainly don't remember the name of the venue.