A-Line Semi-Ballgown Panic!

Morning ladies!

I bought my dream dress (photo above) a while ago but since going to a wedding a couple of weekends ago, I’m having dress panic!

The bride wore a beautiful boho dress with a softly draped skirt (no structure such as an underskirt) and it was in her way all day and got in the way when dancing.

My dress is a Ronald Joyce Eiliyah and it has a much fuller skirt. My concern is that if I don’t wear an underskirt; I’ll have the same problem, but if I DO wear an underskirt, I won’t be able to sit down or get close enough for the first dance. Thoughts please?

• Kitty12Kitty12 Posts: 119 New bride

My dress was a similar shape, at first I was adamant I didn’t want to wear a hoop skirt, but it made it so much easier to walk! Getting close for the first dance wasn’t an issue, the fabric just went out behind me. Sitting was fine too. I had a big train, so I had to make sure I pulled that to the side first, but then I could just sit normally. I danced all night, it was fine! My dress was made of heavy mikado silk, and the bustle broke, so I had the train over my arm for half the night, and I still managed to dance :-)

I was really worried about how I’d manage with the dress too, especially going to the loo, but it honestly was all much easier than expected. You’ll be fine, and your dress is beautiful!

• Emma851Emma851 Posts: 16 New bride
    Kitty12 wrote (see post):

My dress was a similar shape, at first I was adamant I didn’t want to wear a hoop skirt, but it made it so much easier to walk! Getting close for the first dance wasn’t an issue, the fabric just went out behind me. Sitting was fine too. I had a big train, so I had to make sure I pulled that to the side first, but then I could just sit normally. I danced all night, it was fine! My dress was made of heavy mikado silk, and the bustle broke, so I had the train over my arm for half the night, and I still managed to dance :-)

I was really worried about how I’d manage with the dress too, especially going to the loo, but it honestly was all much easier than expected. You’ll be fine, and your dress is beautiful!

Thank you so, SO much for your post! It’s really comforting to know that it worked well for you! You’ve made me feel loads better! 

• Kitty12Kitty12 Posts: 119 New bride

Glad I could help! :-)

• My dress is a very similar shape to yours and I’ll be using a hoop. It’s not there to add any volume to the skirt, but the bridal shop did reccommend using one so the dress droesnt get wrapped around my legs when trying to walk/dance. 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride

I couldn't believe how much difference a hoop made to the a-line dresses I have been trying on! If you get a small ish one (there are different sizes) then it won't change the shape too much it just holds it away from your legs and means you can walk easily.

• Emma851Emma851 Posts: 16 New bride

Thanks all! I’m feeling loads better about it!