made for me

anyone else having a dress made? i am and i really worry. not that the dress maker isnt good but just that i wont choose the right material/shape/anything!!!

• sonjayuksonjayuk Posts: 137
    Hi me pink me,

I'm having my wedding gown made as well!! My main reason is because after trailing the shops, internet etc I couldn't find anything I liked. I'm 40+, a plus size bride getting married in the Caribbean and I wanted an elegant gown in pink and almost lost the will to live when I couldn't find anything so the decision to have it made was easy!! I had a few ideas in my head about what I wanted my gown to look like and I'd seen bits on other dresses as well so I sat down with a very talented local designer and trowelled through loads of ideas before coming up with a gown I was happy with. My gown will be in pale pink organza, off the shoulder, with crystal and beading (sewn on by hand)on the bodice and the bottom of the chapel train, though I haven't decided if I'm going to have a veil. From start to finish it will take about 4-6 months. You should sit down with your dressmaker and bounce ideas off each other until you're happy with the design of your dress and I'm sure she'll give you advice on the material, shape etc.

Good luk!!
  • lorrdainelorrdaine Posts: 1,316
    hi, i met the dressmaker yesterday and know i will get what i want but i had a dress made a few years back and it went so wrong i will never wear it. now i worry i will make a mistake with something and this wont be the dress of my dreams!!!!!!
  • Hi

Getting your dress made can be a nerve wrecking experience. However, I found in my experience it was well worth it. I must admit when I went for my first fitting I was so nervous as I worried if I had picked the right material etc. I had another 4 fittings after that and knew that I had made the right choice. The dress was designed to emphasise the good things about my figure and hide other aspects that potentially could not be as flattering.

My dressmaker was superb. My wedding dress is fantastic. It was well designed for getting married in Paphos, it kept me cool when the temp was in the high 30s and everyone commented that I looked stunning in my dress. I felt so comfortable wearing it.

Listen to the advice of your dressmaker and your own gut feeling and you will be fine.

Livvy

• LittleboboukLittlebobouk Posts: 5,369
    Me tooo..I kept changing my mind because i was so worried about it all ..but i think it is exciting not seeing it !!!..plus you dont have the worry of it sitting in a cupboard and trying it on every 5 mins !!