Wedding wear for groom

My family are having arguments on what I wear. I’m not comfy in a suit and I looked at kilt my mum said it was disgusting and looked like a shirt so I would be self concious.

I looked at waist coat only weddings but people moaned if my shirt was out as it’s a hotel. I don’t like the shirt in. 

So what about wearing a suit jacket only and hiding shirt for pics and switching to a shirt and tie (not tucked in).

Im slim and a suit drowns me and doesnt compliment my shoulders much. I would feel better sooner I’m out it. Kilt wise i can’t decide on a colour and it’s not practical if you need the toilet. I do however look better in a kilt jacket.

So what do I do?anybody here got away with shirt and tie at night only and not tucked in? Any pics would help my choice too. 

• You could definitely get away with a shirt untucked, especially for the evening do. It might be worth considering a bow tie to make it a bit more formal?

If it's a hotel wedding I can see why a shirt untucked without a jacket may be a bit too informal but as you said you can always wear the jacket for pictures etc. and then take it off for the rest of the day, I doubt anyone would mind.

Have you tried maybe going to a tailor and getting them to find you a more fitted jacket? My fiancé is slim built and he didn't like suits for the same reason as you but when we went to get him fitted with a tailor he realised that he needed a mixture of sizes as he's quite tall with broad shoulders but very slim, once he found a jacket that fitted he really loved it. Might be worth trying just to make you feel more comfortable? 

I googled informal wedding outfits for men on Google Images and there's a few good ideas there too, maybe one of them might take your fancy?

Good luck with the search :) 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

My fiancé is tall and slim with broader shoulders, a bespoke suit has done amazing things for him! If you want to wear a kilt- wear one!

• Should I wear a more fitting suit jacket or more loose?

• imageimage

• First pic loose second a smaller one

• Another pic of the fitted one image

• heres pic of loose one image

• Anybody any thoughts on which one is best? Is this look ok without waist coat?

imageTwo more options the larger jacket with shirt on show or a waist coat with the shirt out I prefer shirt out but some people say no?

• imageAnd here is the plan if I ditch the jacket and go shirt tie only I hate shirts in so it would be this look most of day?

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

If you want to wear the  suit jacket or waist coat I think you need to tuck your shirt in or choose a different style shirt; what you have isn’t designed to be untucked. 

Do you want a tie? A shirt and jacket without tie will probably look better untucked, but typically looks better with a more modern suit

• Yes I’m keen on a tie.

So basically I could go jacket only (no waistcoat) as above pics remove the jacket go have a smart shirt and tie?

I will upload a waist coat and jacket pic do show you I am not keen on that look hence jacket only. I went down the kilt route but family couldn’t agree so I ditched that idea..image

so there is waist coat and jacket not keen so I would prefer first pics jacket only?