Dress wobbles...

Hi everyone- so I bought my dress a couple of weekends ago, on my first day of shopping. I never in a million years expected to get one so quickly, and now I am absolutely panicking for a number of reasons:

1. Its v slim fitting, and I'm worried it's not bridal enough. My family had previously said "if it was in a different colour you could wear that to a dance" to everything slim that I tried on before- for some reason this one was different. But now I feel like I've missed my one chance to wear a big dramatic gown, and I won't feel like a brideon the day

2. I'm worried it won't fit by the time it comes in! I won't see it again until 6 June next year, and the lady told me it can't really be taken in. I've been working really hard in the gym/restricting eating since I got engaged in Jan, and now I am panicking about maintain this until then. Its incredibly form fitting, so any change in my measurements could spell trouble.

3. Its an Israeli designer who is only stocked in 1 shop in the UK. My particular dress was only there as a sample in a trunk show, so it's now gone back. Which means I cant go back and try it on, and I can't really find any pics of it on the internet (apart from those I took of me in it!).

I know I loved it when I put it on, and so did my mum/sisters, so maybe this is just post-shopping wobbles....anyone else feel like this? Can anyone offer any advice??

Thanks

Helen

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

I think everyone has dress wobbles try not to worry too much.  Could you get a veil or something to make it more bridal?

I'm having a nightmare trying to keep at the weight I was when I ordered mine :-( I'm just going to make a big effort from October (January wedding) and have my mouth stapled shut in December haha!

I'm sure it will all be fine, when will your dress come into the shop? x

• Helen377Helen377 Posts: 13

Thanks MrsGtoB- I hope you're right! Will definitely be getting a veil, I just keep looking at the photos and over-analyzing every little detail, and have manage to convince myself its a bit....blahhh :( It was over budget too so there may not be a wedding if I tell my H2B that I've changed my mind!

I wont see mine now until 6 June.

What's your dress like? When do you get to try it on again?!

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

I think we are just overly critical of ourselves, I've been exactly the same! I ordered mine in January and it comes into the shop beginning of November.  Mines fitted with a leg split so I keep worrying about bruises, lack of tan...you name it haha!  A pic is on my planning thread I think.  

I'm hoping that at my style fitting in November I refall in love with my dress all over again. I keep searching insta for people wearing my dress and have only found a few so far but that made me feel a bit better.

It's good that there is only one stockist though your dress will be completely unique to you :-)

x

Your dress is amazing...its so elegant!

• June is a long time indeed! don't overthink it though - just keep doing what you are doing and the dress will fit perfectly.

Distract yourself with other wedding stuff, maybe start looking at veils and hair accessories - I spend so much time looking at these on instagram!

Mine is a Riki Dalal - also an Israeli designer, have not been able to find a photo anywhere as it was a bespoke. 

I love Riki Dalal- I tried a few of these in actually! So intricate and unique- I’m sure you are going to look gorgeous.

Yes, I know you’re right. I’m going to take monthly measurements just to try to keep myself sane :)

• Julia101Julia101 Posts: 162 New bride

I had a very slim fitting dress and didn't regret it at all!  If mine were a different colour I could prob wear it to formal events if I lopped the train off ( might dye it and do that!) but that didn't make me feel any less 'bridal'. I'm not a princess dress sort of person and I'm very glad I chose something 'me'. Just keep up with the exercise regime (imagine yourself in the dress!) And you'll be fine... The only thing I regret was having over the top (for me) hair and make up because I wanted to be 'bridal' but I wish I'd toned it down and just looked like myself... So definitely stick with what you love x 

• Mariah4Mariah4 Posts: 10 New bride

hmm..if you are not sure of this dress maybe you can change it? or return?
    however, first impression is always the best so if you bought it first day it must have meant something! maybe try it in another light, wear shoes, veil to it..for sure you will change your decision!

• MrsTraceyMrsTracey Posts: 835 New bride

I think stick with it. There are so many different dresses out there that it’s so easy to doubt your choice, but you picked it for a reason. As others have said, you could create more drama with a long veil, or even a detachable train? I don’t know what the dress is like so not sure how possible that is! 

I’m not sure why it can’t be altered, are you sure on this? Some dresses can’t be altered by more than two dress sizes, is this what the seamstress means? I think most dresses need some slight alterations to really fit you properly.

• In terms of point 1), I think slim fitting dresses can look bridal and are quite a popular choice. As others have already said, adding accessories can make a huge diffrence! Look into veils and hair pieces etc. I think adding a belt could help as they can add a lot more interest to the overall look.

2) I can’t really help in terms of maintaining your weight - I’m having the opposite problem as I’m trying to get mine back down! I get married in November 🙈 My only thought would be to contact the dress shop and see when they plan on ordering it (sometimes they don’t put their order in until 8-9 months before the wedding). That might give you a chance to get remeasured before they order it and you might feel more confident about the sizing.

3) I got my dress from a foreign designer (not sure where they are based) and the shop I got it from was the only stockist in the UK. I LOVE that I will be the only bride to have this dress in the uk and it makes it feel a lot more bespoke. In fact, the idea of it being a little more unique was one of the reasons I chose it! I’ve read a couple of stories on here of brides going to friends’ weddings before their own, only to find out they have the same dress! I would be devastated if that were me, and there’s no issue of that with a dress no one else can get!

If you do continue to have doubts though, it might be worth exploring other options to put your mind at ease. I know lots of people say they have dress worries, but usually it’s not this soon after purchasing a dress. If you do go and try on different dresses, 1 of 2 things will happen. You’ll find that no dresses compare to the one that you bought and be confident and happy in your decision. Or, you’ll realise that you rushed into your decision too soon and there’s a better option for you. At least then you’ll know and wont be wondering ‘what if?’

Nottinghamshirebride wrote (see post):

3) I got my dress from a foreign designer (not sure where they are based) and the shop I got it from was the only stockist in the UK. I LOVE that I will be the only bride to have this dress in the uk and it makes it feel a lot more bespoke. In fact, the idea of it being a little more unique was one of the reasons I chose it! I’ve read a couple of stories on here of brides going to friends’ weddings before their own, only to find out they have the same dress! I would be devastated if that were me, and there’s no issue of that with a dress no one else can get!

Who is your designer?! You're right, I never thought about it like that. I tried on a lot of pronovias dresses but one shop assistant told me they had sold one particular style over 300 times since it came in!

Thank you so much for replying everyone, you've made me feel better. Its great to hear from all of you ladies who opted for a less dramatic shaped gown, and still felt like a million dollars. I'll definitely be looking to jazz it up with a veil as well!

I'm not sure why the lady told me it cant be taken out- she said they could take it in if needs be (unlikely!), but can't do anything if its too small....anyone else been told this?

I think it is probably just (I) the speed with which I chose my dress; and (ii) how LONG I have to wait to see it again which is giving me the jitters. I wish I could post a pic on here but I am paranoid that someone might see it!!

• Helen377 wrote (see post):

Thank you so much for replying everyone, you've made me feel better. Its great to hear from all of you ladies who opted for a less dramatic shaped gown, and still felt like a million dollars. I'll definitely be looking to jazz it up with a veil as well!

I'm not sure why the lady told me it cant be taken out- she said they could take it in if needs be (unlikely!), but can't do anything if its too small....anyone else been told this?

I think it is probably just (I) the speed with which I chose my dress; and (ii) how LONG I have to wait to see it again which is giving me the jitters. I wish I could post a pic on here but I am paranoid that someone might see it!!

Awww!! I would really love to see it, please private message me! 

• Helen377 wrote (see post):

Who is your designer?! You're right, I never thought about it like that. I tried on a lot of pronovias dresses but one shop assistant told me they had sold one particular style over 300 times since it came in!

The designer is called Feya Bridal. Here it is:

The picture isn’t the best as it was taken during my first alterations at the seamstresses so is pinned etc. but gives you an idea. 

There's obvuously a reason why the dress is popular- it must have been a lovely dress. And with it being such a popular designer, I can imagine that other shops have stocked the same dress and sold just as many! Like I said before, I wanted something a little more unique, which for me, has the WOW factor!

I‘d love to see a pic of your dress if you do decide to post! 😊

• Nottinghamshirebride wrote (see post):
    Helen377 wrote (see post):

The picture isn’t the best as it was taken during my first alterations at the seamstresses so is pinned etc. but gives you an idea. 

There's obvuously a reason why the dress is popular- it must have been a lovely dress. And with it being such a popular designer, I can imagine that other shops have stocked the same dress and sold just as many! Like I said before, I wanted something a little more unique, which for me, has the WOW factor!

really gorgeous dress, amazing details! 

Cupcakes2019 wrote (see post):

Awww!! I would really love to see it, please private message me! 

Helen377 wrote (see post):

It is beautiful!! I absolutely love the detail on the back- its so delicate, and gives you a great shape!

Congrats on such a beautiful gown!