Uh oh... Dress dilemma...

Ughhhhh!!!!!

Okay so my dilemma is this... 

I'm not getting married until 23 May 2020. And I'm a bridal stylist. So I wasn't planning on trying on/choosing my dress until Spring 2019. My issue is that I can't avoid wedding dresses so even once I find my dress, I'll still be surrounded by brides trying on dresses and don't want to doubt my choice or end up buying another!! 

BUT... The store I work in is having a "designer day" tomorrow. It's Stephanie Allin who, I'll admit, I didn't really know much about. But now that I've seen the dresses that will be in store I'm a little bit in love. The dresses are being brought from the flagship store in London and it's kind of a big deal. 

What do I do?! Do I try on the dresses I love incase I never get the chance to try them on again? Or do I stick to my plan and avoid avoid avoid til next year?

• Helen377Helen377 Posts: 13

I would avoid- think back to something you loved 2 years ago.... do you still love it now?! I think if you end up falling for one and buying it this early, you'll resent not being able to have the experience when you're nearer your wedding date. Just my opinion!

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,096 New bride

I agree with Helen. Two years is a long time and fashions will change! Hold off buying anything now. 

• Thank you!!

The problem is... My dress in May 2020 will very likely be a 2019 collection dress (of whatever designer). The collections aren't usually in store until around October each year so the 2020 collections will be coming out October 2019 and I won't want to wait until then to order my dress.

I'm just so torn because these dresses are stunning... And I may well miss my opportunity of ever trying them on if I don't do so tomorrow. Still say don't try?

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Only you know your willpower/how committed you can be! I personally wouldn’t try them on because of fashions changing so much! 

• I have NO willpower hahaha! I'm trying to convince everyone else to say I should try them haha!

I just can't use the "fashions change" as a valid argument because bridal fashion is so different. Like I was explaining above, the 2019 collections will be the last one that comes out before I choose my dress so whether I try not or try in a year, it's the same dresses that will be out, know what I mean?

Realistically, I haven't even seen my diary and I might have back to back appointments from 9am and have no time to try any of the dresses on but I'm just shocked at how much I love two of them! And that makes me worry that if I don't try them tomorrow then I might never be able to!

• LizzieBHLizzieBH Posts: 196

I don't necessarily agree about fashions changing when it comes to bridal, but I do know tastes change – I drove myself crazy in the 10 months between buying a wedding dress and the wedding! Personally I'd say keep the time for seeing other dresses, over-analysing and potentially having wobbles to a minimum.

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 820 New bride

I'd try them on lol I don't really see why not. I first tried on dresses 18 months before the wedding and ended up buying one and I still love it. Every time I look at the picture I fall more and more in love with it.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Could you not try these dresses on next year, take a trip to London if you still really love and want to try them when you’re ready to start looking? 

I don’t see the harm in trying though if you really want to - you might not even like them. Most of the ones I loved on the hanger I didn’t like on! If it’s definitely the collection you’ll need to order from next year then there isn’t much harm done, if you do love them you could still take your friends shopping to try them when you’re ready, I assume you won’t need to actually buy it tomorrow?

• LizzieBH wrote (see post):

I don't necessarily agree about fashions changing when it comes to bridal, but I do know tastes change – I drove myself crazy in the 10 months between buying a wedding dress and the wedding! Personally I'd say keep the time for seeing other dresses, over-analysing and potentially having wobbles to a minimum.

This is what I'm most concerned about. Trying to weigh up the pros and cons.

• Ashley72 wrote (see post):

Could you not try these dresses on next year, take a trip to London if you still really love and want to try them when you’re ready to start looking? 

I don’t see the harm in trying though if you really want to - you might not even like them. Most of the ones I loved on the hanger I didn’t like on! If it’s definitely the collection you’ll need to order from next year then there isn’t much harm done, if you do love them you could still take your friends shopping to try them when you’re ready, I assume you won’t need to actually buy it tomorrow?

The problem with trying them on next year is that I don't know what ones my store is going to stock yet and I live in Glasgow. I work Monday-Saturday so finding time to dress shop will be difficult as it is, without having to fly to London to do so.

I wouldn't need to buy tomorrow but tomorrow may be the only real chance I have to try them on. 

• Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

I'd try them on lol I don't really see why not. I first tried on dresses 18 months before the wedding and ended up buying one and I still love it. Every time I look at the picture I fall more and more in love with it.

With my job, I do tend to have a "look" I love and stick with it. My preference hasn't really changed in the past 5 years so I don't think I'd look back and regret a dress choice I made two years in advance - it's more the fact that I haven't seen all the 2019 collections yet .

I've actually just made it easier for myself typing that.. If I have time tomorrow I think I'll try the two I love. I'll take a couple of photos and then wait til next year to try more on and make my decision then!! I just won't "say yes" tomorrow!

• I don't think the fact it's 2 years away is a problem at all. I bought my dress way earlier than I planned to (nearly 18 months before) but don't regret it. 

I think the bigger problem for you is that you will be seeing other dresses so may be more likely to change your mind than most, really though you will have this same problem whether you buy a year before or 2 years before! 

If you are not actually planning to buy tomorrow then I don't see that you have anything to lose at all, if you still love the dresses you tried on next year you can order them, if you don't then you've not lost anything! 

• You've totally already decided what you're going to do

People are giving you a number of reasons why you should wait and with every comment you're finding excuses and reasons as to why you should ignore their advice! Go try on the dresses - you know that's what you want to do!

The first dress I tried on was the one, and I didn't expect that at all. If you're the sort of person who doesn't waver when they've made a decision and knows who they are and what they want, why not buy the dress early? Why shop around? It's what I did (although I didn't buy my dress until 11 months before as I had a shorter lead time). I still LOVE my dress.

But if you're easily swayed and are likely to change your mind as soon as you see another pretty dress, it's probably best to wait until closer to the time.

• Zara29Zara29 Posts: 105

Try them onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. You know you wanna...! I would.

• weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

You've totally already decided what you're going to do

People are giving you a number of reasons why you should wait and with every comment you're finding excuses and reasons as to why you should ignore their advice! Go try on the dresses - you know that's what you want to do!

The first dress I tried on was the one, and I didn't expect that at all. If you're the sort of person who doesn't waver when they've made a decision and knows who they are and what they want, why not buy the dress early? Why shop around? It's what I did (although I didn't buy my dress until 11 months before as I had a shorter lead time). I still LOVE my dress.

But if you're easily swayed and are likely to change your mind as soon as you see another pretty dress, it's probably best to wait until closer to the time.

Hahaha! I know, I think I was kidding myself on and looking for people to tell me to go for it haha!

It's not that I'm the type to waver, I'm just the type to find it in the budget to buy two!!!! 

I'm going to go ahead and try them on - if I have any time. I'll take pics and just sit on them until proper "dress trying on time" comes, then if nothing lives up to one of tomorrows, I'll order it!

• Zara29 wrote (see post):

Try them onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. You know you wanna...! I would.

THIS is what I wanted to hear hahaha! 

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 820 New bride
    LittleBlondeBride wrote (see post):
    weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

You've totally already decided what you're going to do

Hahaha! I know, I think I was kidding myself on and looking for people to tell me to go for it haha!

It's not that I'm the type to waver, I'm just the type to find it in the budget to buy two!!!! 

I'm going to go ahead and try them on - if I have any time. I'll take pics and just sit on them until proper "dress trying on time" comes, then if nothing lives up to one of tomorrows, I'll order it!

Also nothing wrong with that :P I bought my first 18 months before the wedding and just bought a second with a year to go!

• SarahC2016SarahC2016 Posts: 396 New bride

Ooh I think you might work In the store I bought my dress 😁, although that was 2015 and I’m all married now. 

I say do it too and as you say you can sit on it until you decide properly later down the line. You might not even like them on. 

Post photos 😁

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

Try them on then tell us how it went!! 

I'm not convinced tastes change that much no matter wht fashion is up to (unless you're a die hard fashionista)... I had my wedding dress made, could have had anything, ended up with something which was almost the same as a dress I'd had made when I was 18 for the school May Ball.... I'm 37. Safe to say my taste hasn't changed very much at all! 

Do it, do it, do it...

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 659 New bride

I tried on dresses two years before the date. I found a gorgeous dress but decided not to buy. Even so, it showed me what style I wanted, so I was able to explore more, and eventually I bought a similar dress for cheaper, which I now love all the more!

I would say try the dresses and enjoy the experience, but be aware that you probably will find one you think is perfect, so you may put yourself in a conundrum over whether to buy it. I would resist at this point, but only you know yourself and whether that's the right decision.

All the best and please report back!

• Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

Also nothing wrong with that :P I bought my first 18 months before the wedding and just bought a second with a year to go!

Omg really!?? Are you going to wear both?! That's kinda the dream....

• SarahC2016 wrote (see post):

Ooh I think you might work In the store I bought my dress 😁, although that was 2015 and I’m all married now. 

I say do it too and as you say you can sit on it until you decide properly later down the line. You might not even like them on. 

Post photos 😁

Ooooh are you an AP bride!? What dress did you wear?

Exactly - I might hate them! But they're so beautiful that I doubt it. Want to see the model pics of the ones I love?

LittleBlondeBride wrote (see post):
    SarahC2016 wrote (see post):

Post photos 😁

Ooooh are you an AP bride!? What dress did you wear?

Exactly - I might hate them! But they're so beautiful that I doubt it. Want to see the model pics of the ones I love?

Yes please! 

I am, loved buying my dress! So much fun! I wore Pronovias Mandara - it was exactly what I wanted 😁

• Elz2017 wrote (see post):

Try them on then tell us how it went!! 

I'm not convinced tastes change that much no matter wht fashion is up to (unless you're a die hard fashionista)... I had my wedding dress made, could have had anything, ended up with something which was almost the same as a dress I'd had made when I was 18 for the school May Ball.... I'm 37. Safe to say my taste hasn't changed very much at all! 

Do it, do it, do it...

I agree! Don't get me wrong, I know some people like a huge variation of dresses which means they refine their taste more as the dress journey progresses but my style is quite particular so I don't think I'd ever buy a dress and look back with regret, it's more being worried about finding something I love more. What harm is there in trying them on though, eh?! :P

• SarahC2016 wrote (see post):

Yes please! 

I am, loved buying my dress! So much fun! I wore Pronovias Mandara - it was exactly what I wanted 😁

Oh wow, you look beautiful!!! Pronovias dresses are so luxurious, aren't they? Did you keep the long train?

Okay.. Posting pics below!!

• Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 453 New bride

Do it! (Or have you already?!)

I have just under 11 months to go, and I have 2 dresses  the first one my mum bought because I fell in love with it and it's a sample that had been discontinued so  I had to get it or never see it again. Then I thought about the fact that I have mesh up to my collarbone and sleeves, and I'm getting married in August and the temperature this year was around 29 degrees on the date, and a whole day in that might be a bit much! So when my favourite brand had one of theirs on sale I decided to go for it and get a lighter strappy one for the evening (and of course a shrug to go with it) so I ended up with 2 for the price of one!

I LOVE the first one of the three you posted!!

These are mine:

image (main one!)

image (evening one, only have rubbish ones of it on me, excuse the bed hair and no make-up and rubbish mirrors)

imageimageimage

Sorry, any excuse to show them off!

But the point is I ended up with two completely different, beautiful dresses that reflect different parts of my personality AND it's practical to have a lighter one in the evening to change into and dance around in  at least that's what I'm telling myself! So I don't think 2 dresses would be the biggest disaster....

I did! I loved the massive train, although my bustle broke about 30 mins into the reception 😂, so I just had to fling it over my arm all night and keep dancing. 

Oooh, oh I love, all quite different. I love the shape of the second one and the sleeves on the third one. 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,527 New bride

I bought my dress 18 months before my wedding, got just under a year to go now and haven't doubted my choice once. I always knew I wanted lace, not white or ivory and not strapless, and that's what I bought. I did try other styles and materials on but they weren't what I wanted. 

I don't think bridal fashion changes that quickly anyway, my best friend got married last week and bought her dress in the same shop as me, about 18 months before me and there were lots of the same dresses still for sale when I went that she tried on.

I love Stephanie Allin dresses, they are stunning.

• I bought mine almost 2 and a half years in advance, not to encourage or discourage. I still absolutely adore mine 18 months later and fall even more in love with it every time I see it. I don’t see the harm looking/trying on at this stage. You know in yourself if you change you mind easily. But you don’t have to buy anything, just get ideas 😊

• Girls... I DIDN'T DO IT!! Unfortunately, not through choice - I just had back to back appointments allll day so had no time.

Once I was able to see the dresses in person though I did go off the first dress a bit. It's still stunning but not as full on the bottom, more of a gentle A line than I had hoped. The second was still amazing and I did get to put another bride in it and she looked beautiful but didn't go for it. I really would have liked to try that one on but I'm not sure it would've been "the one" anyway. I hope we end up stocking it though, just incase!

Cecilia13 - your dresses are beautiful. And both so different! Showstoppers!