Something borrowed?

I'm not superstitious but I rather like the idea of following the traditions of the rhyme. I've got my something old, new, blue and the sixpence, but struggling for something borrowed!

I've mostly got my outfit already sorted in terms of the dress, shoes, veil, etc. I don't know of any sentimental items I can borrow from the mothership or grandmothers. Does anyone have any ideas of something discreet but most certainly borrowed that I can wear?

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Garter? Piece of jewlery? A piece of ribbon or something to wrap around boquet?

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,468 New bride

I borrowed my Dad's wedding ring, and have had it sewn into my bouquet.  Apparently it is good luck to have something from someone who has had a happy marriage, so I went with that.  Not an easy one to do!

• I am borrowing an old lace hanky of my Mum's that she was given on her wedding day :) My dress has pockets so it can be discretely tucked inside. I am also borrowing my friend's hair piece and shawl!

Hope you think of something! X

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,345 New bride

I read that it’s supposed to come from a happily married friend. I borrowed the hair decorations my friend wore on her wedding. 

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398

I'm borrowing a delicate bracelet from my mum, it's not old (in fact she has only worn it once) but it's still borrowed. If it's ment to be from a happily married person then I'm out of luck! My mum has been a single parent for the last 20+ years x

• That reminds me... I've not returned the necklace I borrowed from my mum for my wedding last year 😂

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,079 New bride

I might borrow some jewellery from my mum. I think she has a nice pearl necklace with a pendant on it, I'll have to ask. She's been married and divorced 6 times though so may be a bad omen 

• I borrowed a diamond and sapphire ring from my bridesmaid (which was originally her great grandmother‘s engagement ring). I‘m lending her my veil, so that the ‘borrow’ has gone both ways!

I also borrowed my grandmothers pearl bracelet. 

I found that when I mentioned needing something borrowed everyone was really keen to offer me something, so definately ask around!

• I'm borrowing my sisters garter that she wore for her wedding this year.  My sisters something borrowed was a bracelet of mine (didn't know about the happily married bit then).  One of my friends has previously used a pair of my earrings and my cousin used one of my Gran's broaches that she attached to the ribbon around her bouquet.

I think bridesmaids, parents, grandparents and even in-law are a good place to start asking, good luck!

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 372 New bride

Thanks for all your suggestions. I haven't sorted my jewellery yet, so that is an option, but I'm quite particular about what I wear so I'm worried people will offer me stuff I don't want to wear and then be offended when I decline! Tying something to the bouquet is also an idea, although I'd be afraid of putting it down and losing it. I suppose I won't know until I ask, though. My hair and veil are already sorted so no space for borrowing stuff there! Hopefully something will present itself...

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 372 New bride

All sorted. I asked my mum for ideas and she immediately said she had a lace handkerchief that my granddad's cousin made for her wedding. I shall stitch it onto my dress or garter somewhere (if I just tuck it in I shall worry about losing it all day!). This feels right, as my granddad died over 20 years ago, as did the cousin, so it is nice to be wearing something borrowed from that branch of the family tree.