Train or no train?

So... I had my first dress fitting yesterday. Still really love my dress but it has a tulle skirt with a train, and walking around I realized how much more difficult it made moving around without constantly having to adjust it! Yes, it can be bustled (thought it didn't look great as theres alot of fabric), but am now considering getting the train cut off. Wanted to survey opinion of what other brides have done / plan to do. Have you gone train or no train? Considered or cut off the train, or found it annoying during the wedding and wished you'd cut it off? any help much appreciated!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,064 New bride

My dress has a train, and I think it probably will annoy me, but it's worth it for one day - I don't get to swish around in ballgowns often! 

I'm not going to bother having a bustle added as everyone tells me they break, just going to have a loop added so I can sling it over my arm if need be.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride

My dress has a train. It's an A-line and at the moment it's fairly big so I'm thinking I'll have a little bit taken off the length just to make it a bit more manageable.Then I'll just suffer it - I'm sure people can be a little careful about stepping on it and as MrsCToBee said, it's not every day you get to swish about in a big dress! I love the look of the train so I definitely want to keep some length. Having a loop added is a good idea, I might do that. You could ask your seamstress to trim it a little and see how you feel, and then take a little more off again, don't do anything drastic until you're certain though!

• I'm going tulle A-line, but having a couple of layers of tulle taken out of the skirt and then wearing a hoop underneath to make it WAY easier to move in. I figured this out at my first appointment where I found the dress, and am going to progress it through the fitting process, but it struck me as the only way I was going to be able to move comfortably in a big dress all day!

Heaven knows about bustle/loop yet. The sales associate reckons it can be bustled, but I'm going to wait and see how big it feels at my first fitting before I decide.

• Kitty12Kitty12 Posts: 119 New bride

I had quite a big train in a heavy fabric. I was going to remove it, but changed my mind because I liked the lines of the dress. 

I bustled it for the evening to keep it out of the way, but the bustle broke and I ended up having to lug it around all night. It was a real pain, but I don’t regret it because it looked amazing in the photos!

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

I had the train of my dress shortened, made it way more manageable!

cs2thecox wrote (see post):

I'm going tulle A-line, but having a couple of layers of tulle taken out of the skirt and then wearing a hoop underneath to make it WAY easier to move in. I figured this out at my first appointment where I found the dress, and am going to progress it through the fitting process, but it struck me as the only way I was going to be able to move comfortably in a big dress all day!

Heaven knows about bustle/loop yet. The sales associate reckons it can be bustled, but I'm going to wait and see how big it feels at my first fitting before I decide.

I've got a tulle skirt too. Can I ask if you've bought your hoop prior to fittings or are you waiting for them before you decide on a size? The shop I was in didn't have a hoop to try on when I bought my dress but I'd tried one on with similar styles in other stores and was gobsmacked how much easier they made it to move, and how much cooler my legs felt so I'm definitely going to get one. I'm just not sure when to buy it or how big to go, as I figured the seamstress would need to alter it according to how it fitted with the hoop underneath?

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398
    Ashley72 wrote (see post):

I'm going tulle A-line, but having a couple of layers of tulle taken out of the skirt and then wearing a hoop underneath to make it WAY easier to move in. I figured this out at my first appointment where I found the dress, and am going to progress it through the fitting process, but it struck me as the only way I was going to be able to move comfortably in a big dress all day!

I've got a tulle skirt too. Can I ask if you've bought your hoop prior to fittings or are you waiting for them before you decide on a size? The shop I was in didn't have a hoop to try on when I bought my dress but I'd tried one on with similar styles in other stores and was gobsmacked how much easier they made it to move, and how much cooler my legs felt so I'm definitely going to get one. I'm just not sure when to buy it or how big to go, as I figured the seamstress would need to alter it according to how it fitted with the hoop underneath?

Buy your hoop before your fittings as it will effect the length :) my dress needed some length taken off until I put on my hoop. if you have a look online I think you can buy adjustable hoops if you aren't sure if you wanted a bigger or smaller hoop. 

Mrs2018 wrote (see post):
    Ashley72 wrote (see post):

Buy your hoop before your fittings as it will effect the length :) my dress needed some length taken off until I put on my hoop. if you have a look online I think you can buy adjustable hoops if you aren't sure if you wanted a bigger or smaller hoop. 

Ooh ok, thanks! I didn't know you could get adjustable ones. I'll have a look!