Changing my wedding dress - can it be done?

Hello,

Posting on the back of an awful day....

I've just been to my second fitting for my wedding dress.... and I hate it. It fits properly now, but I just can't help thinking I've bought the wrong dress. It clings in all the wrong places and shows every lump and bump. If I was able to see the dress fitting properly on my first visit to the shop, I would never have bought it. I'm sooo so upset and can't stop crying.

I'm thinking about going to Wed2Be tomorrow to see if I can find an alternative but I'm wondering if it's too late. I get married on 13th October - help!! Does anyone know if I buy another dress next week, could it be altered in time?

Thanks in advance from a very panicked bride to be. xx

• Did you speak to the seamstress about your concerns in how it’s ‘hugging‘ you? 

If you're certain the dress is no longer what you want I think wed2b is a good call. It might also be worth looking at sample sale dresses in your size, which will hopefully need minimal alterations. 

If you’re happy with the work the seamstress did on the first dress, maybe contact them and see if they can alter the new dress as a priority. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on! 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride

Sorry to hear this. I an sure it looks lovely and you’re probably being super self critical - aren’t we all when it comes to such a big thing as a wedding dress! If you really hate it and it can’t be altered to make you feel better then yes, get yourself to Wed2Be or to a couple of dress shops which haves Samples in your size for sale. Definitely tee up your seamstress though beforehand so that youve got an appointment for any alterations. 

• RubyCatRubyCat Posts: 270 New bride

Maybe it's just too tight, ask the seamstress to take it out.

• It absolutely can be done. Get yourself a sample or look on stillwhite or preloved. I got most of my alterations done within a week. It's too important a day to be a dress you aren't happy with or feel confident in. There are also LOADS of high street options. Good luck! 

• Thanks ladies! Yes, i explained this to the seamstress and they have advised there’s nothing more they can do :(. Anyway, I went to Wed2b yesterday and a sample shop and found two dresses I like. First dress is from wed2be

imageimage

And second dress from the sample shop

imageimage

I like them both a lot. Sample dress fits me perfectly so would only need shoulders taken up but wed2b would need taken in a bit.

My question is.... is the wed2b too similar to my SIL’s dress (married last April)? I’m so worried about this but think it might be the only thing putting me off.

*pics of SIL dress now removed*

Thanks!! Xx

• It looks like the the same dress to me. If not the same, they are almost identical. I would rule that out if I were you, especially since the wedding wasn't that long ago.

The other dress is pretty and is very flattering. Alterations needed are minimal so that’s also a bonus!  

• I agree it looks like exactly the same dress. I the second suits you better anyway. It really flatters your lovely figure.

• I agree girls, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going crazy - feel like I have been these past few days!! I love the second one too, just not sure on the diamanté detail - do you think a seamstress could remove these? Xx

• MrsTobe18 wrote (see post):

I agree girls, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going crazy - feel like I have been these past few days!! I love the second one too, just not sure on the diamanté detail - do you think a seamstress could remove these? Xx

I feel like this too sometimes! It’s ealsity done with the stress and pressure of everything!

I wouldnt have a clue if it could be removed or not - I think you're best sending a picture to your seasmstress and asking her. Although it does look like it has bit of lace detailing surrounding the  beading so I’m not sure how it’ll look if you do remove it.