Can't find a wedding dress I like :( Help needed!

The problem is that I don't want a traditional dress and I'm looking for something more casual, modern and simple, but can't seem to find one that is within my budget (below 800£) anywhere. Has anyone felt the same? Where did you get your dress from? Do you have any suggestions of shops/ brands that have these kind of dresses?

I like something like this, but it's way too expensive:/ 

https://www.galvanlondon.com/products/windmill-bridal-dress# 

• kitty-kitty- Posts: 121 New bride

I’d look in high streets or online such as chi chi London or monsoon. You might find something similar to this. Or look on preloved, oxfam or eBay? 

• MrsNWMrsNW Posts: 59 New bride

Hello,
    I'm not sure if this would be of interest - but I have a brand new (never been worn) Justin Alexander new dress for sale. It's a US size 12 but has been let out so it's closer to a 14. Their sizes are notorious for being tiny though - I'm actually a high street 12. I would say it's modern and plain at the front. It's also been altered to my height (size 5ft6 plus 8cm heels). I'm looking for £750 for it. Let me know if it's of any interest at all :)

• There are some fabulous dresses on ASOS (check their sale section too) and Needle and Thread have some really amazing dresses - check their own website as they have a wider range there.

• OwlOwl Posts: 6 New bride

Hi Susan W,

I don’t know if this is of interest to you, or even possible depending on location, but I am looking for a volunteer dressmaking “customer.”

I have been dressmaking as a hobby for 28 years, and would like to try out dressmaking for others now I have more time.

I do bespoke dressmaking, so that would involve discussing styles, measuring you, drafting a block to your measurements, making it up and testing fit, maybe altering the block, then going on to make the dress pattern, then making a toile of the dress, before making the actual dress.

I have cheap fabric I can use to make toiles. I can’t afford to provide fabric and trimmings for the final dress, but can advise/possibly accompany on fabric shopping If you wanted to take it that far.

I am not looking to charge any money. I want to see if I enjoy the process of dressmaking for others first, but I need to find someone who can commit to the time involved.

That style you like looks very elegant, and comfortable.  The lace godets look lovely with the clean lines of the dress.

I‘m based near Watford, Hertfordshire.  If you don’t find a dress in the shops, and think you may be interested let me know.

• Gem88Gem88 Posts: 17 New bride
    Hi Susan
    I know how you feel! I didn't want something traditional either and set myself a budget of £800 too. 

Have you tried on any dresses yet? 

I would definitely recommend going to some shops with sample sales with an open mind. If you find places that stock what you like as they will probably have more to suit your taste even if it's not what you had in mind.  

I got my dress for £800 down from £2100 :smiley: you can do pretty well in sales if you're looking for something a bit different and the more unusual samples tend to be in good condition bc less people try them on!