Wedding family nightmare

I am new here so please be kind.

Today I just want to cry I planned all of wedding now for next year and decided to go wedding dress shopping and I did ask a few people to come but none of them contacted me so I thought it would be easier to go myself especially after a horrible session with my mum.

I found my dress on my own and I swear it has created a third world war - being called selfish etc.

I am so fed up and I just wish I went abroad now.

People about for my lovely girls is on my side and yet people in my own family seems to hate me having any choice in my own wedding dress 

• I'm sorry that family is getting you down, unfortunately weddings really seem to bring out the worst in some people.

Did you buy the dress already? It's hard to give much advice without knowing the full story but it might be nice if you took your mum to go try it on again so she can see you in it in person. It's a lot different seeing it in the flesh to in a picture and it is one of those mother-daughter bonding moments that you'll remember years down the line even if you aren't getting on too well at the moment.
  • It's not my mother she isn't the issue she has seen it  but it's my other family members like aunties etc :( it's just wearing me down massively
  • Ambam19Ambam19 Posts: 583 New bride
    Why would aunties etc think they have a say?! 
    I too my mum and his mum and invited bridesmaids when I went dress shopping. Nobody else knows what it's like and they won't until the day.
    You're not selfish, its your wedding!
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,933 New bride
    I only took my mum with me. After I'd bought the dress, the shop were kind enough to let me go back with my MIL and one of my bridesmaids so they could see me in it too.
    I don't know your family dynamics but generally people only take mums wnd bridesmaids, so I'm not sure why all and sundry think they have a right to have a say in your dress!
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 805 New bride
    Sorry people are making this horrible for you. I would stick with the broken record approach. Say something like  "I'm sorry you feel that way but this is my wedding and my decision". Don't deviate from that line, otherwise they'll try to draw you into a discussion.

All the best x
  • HamidHamid Posts: 36 New bride
    Always an emotional time...do agree with OmRum, need to be strong....it is YOUR wedding.  Best of luck