Fancy Bridesmaid dresses, simple Wedding dress?

Rin NightRin Night Posts: 167 New bride
edited 28 January in Wedding fashion
So I'd like to apologise first as this'll likely be very long a probably just whiney, but it's been playing on my mind all night and morning so I think I just need to get it off my chest (H2B tried, bless him, but he's a bloke, what do they know, right?  :D)

So when I chose my bridesmaids (My Mother and Nanna - Odd, I know) I told them they could wear whatever they wanted as long as it fit the colours we'd chose, I just want them to be comfortable. 
Of course... when I said this... I hadn't yet realised quite how incredible extra my Mother actually is...

Fast forward a few month, to yesterday, when she shows me the dress they've chosen...

Now don't get me wrong, the dress is gorgeous! ...What's worrying me is how fancy it is... The floaty skirt, the illusion lace with the waterfall waist, the subtle sparkle throughout... it's pretty much exactly what I'd choose in a wedding dress...but... fussier  :D

Trying to subtly voice my concerns (Because, y'know, I was raised to be "polite" which basically means I was raised to be soft and unable to voice my own opinions for fear of upsetting anyone else) I asked if she thinks it's okay for bridesmaid dresses to be fancier than the wedding dress, to which she replied "ooh noo... the wedding dress should always be the fancier dress!"
...okay... well then you're going to have to choose a less fancy dress, as you know I've got pretty simple tastes when it comes to wedding dresses and it won't be as fancy or blingy as that... all I got in response to that was her defending her decision saying the dress is plain and simple :D

I dropped the conversation there, there's no arguing with her when she's made her mind up. But I've still got this nagging worry that the bridesmaid dresses are going to look WAY fancier than my nice simple understated wedding dress... H2B keeps making the (very logical and reasonable) point that it doesn't matter as long as I feel great in my dress and they feel great in theirs, and it's not fair of me to expect them to have really plain dresses just because I have simple tastes when I KNOW how extra they are (Stupid H2B with his stupid logic. Stupid. *huff!*)

So then I basically came on here to have a rant about it  :D :D  I know it's completely ridiculous, and I do over-worry about everything, it's just awkward when I have such different tastes to them!!

Sorry about the long post :sweat_smile:
Didn't even think to include a picture of what dress I'm getting. Haven't got a picture yet but basically this but without the belt or train:

Remember, when stressed, simply channel your inner Bridechilla: Take a sand bath, munch some veggies, then chew on a wooden stick... wait... no... that's a Chinchilla... 

My planning thread

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,074 New bride
    Can you post a picture of your dress so we can see the difference? 
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Rin NightRin Night Posts: 167 New bride
    Can you post a picture of your dress so we can see the difference? 
    Didn't think to do that hahaha Duh Moment! Have done :)
    Remember, when stressed, simply channel your inner Bridechilla: Take a sand bath, munch some veggies, then chew on a wooden stick... wait... no... that's a Chinchilla... 

My planning thread
  • I genuinely think your dress is absolutely stunning. The bridesmaids dresses are indeed rather fancy but you'll match quite brilliantly together as a 3some. 

Having said that I've been putting off wedding dress shopping for the last 6 months so no idea if I'm in the right here🙂🙂🙂
    I genuinely think your dress is absolutely stunning. The bridesmaids dresses are indeed rather fancy but you'll match quite brilliantly together as a 3some. 

Having said that I've been putting off wedding dress shopping for the last 6 months so no idea if I'm in the right here🙂🙂🙂
    Oooh just to be clear that's not my actual dress haha, don't have a picture of my dress yet but that's the closest I could find on pinterest hahaha! Is close though so thank you :smile: Hahahahaha I put off for ages as I just didn't want to prance about in front of people  :D

My planning thread
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,074 New bride
    I think they actually go really well together. Will you be having a veil etc? 

You won't be stood together all day, and lots of your pictures will just be you and your other half. So I think wear what you are comfy in, and if they like those dresses and they are the right colour and budget, I'd say let them go for it. They are very elegant and I'm guessing your Mum and Nanna are trying to find something that suits a more mature bridesmaid. I'm a firm believer in picking your battles! 
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
    I think they actually go really well together. Will you be having a veil etc? 

You won't be stood together all day, and lots of your pictures will just be you and your other half. So I think wear what you are comfy in, and if they like those dresses and they are the right colour and budget, I'd say let them go for it. They are very elegant and I'm guessing your Mum and Nanna are trying to find something that suits a more mature bridesmaid. I'm a firm believer in picking your battles! 
    Not sure on a veil yet, but I am thinking a flower crown, but just a dainty one nothing too POW haha, I'm so boring!!

Yeh I was thinking I'm better off just letting this one go haha trying not to stress and just be like "Yeeeh suurree whatever! Everything's fine!" about as much as possible  :D Apparently this one's on Amazon and she's just realised it's from abroad so now she's not sure so she's going to look around for something similar that's more local so I'm just hoping she chooses something a little lower-key haha!

Worst case scenario I just imagine them as my little extra fairies in sparkly dresses fluttering around me!  :D :D

My planning thread
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,064 New bride
    I think it's fine, they don't look that fancy or blingy to be honest, and the quality of a wedding dress is going to be much higher than an Amazon price point bridesmaid dress so it will definitely stand out. Plus, you know, they are presumably double & triple your age (ish) so you're still going to look fresher, younger, prettier!
    MrsCToBee said:
    I think it's fine, they don't look that fancy or blingy to be honest, and the quality of a wedding dress is going to be much higher than an Amazon price point bridesmaid dress so it will definitely stand out. Plus, you know, they are presumably double & triple your age (ish) so you're still going to look fresher, younger, prettier!
    Ahahahaha this genuinely made me laugh  :D Out the way you old bags! prime-aged bride coming through!!!  :D :D :D I totally see your point though, I think I just needed a little reassurance that other people think it'll be fine! :smile:

My planning thread