Wobble about dress size

Hi all,

I got engaged in March, and for various reasons we have decided to get married this November.  As that doesn't leave a huge amount of time, I prioritised dress shopping and found a beautiful Sottero & Midgley gown which I absolutely loved, so placed an order and paid 50% deposit.

At the point of ordering, my measurements spread across 3 consecutive dress sizes.  Hips largest, -1 waist, -2 bust.  I was (am) overweight and the wedding is the kick up the backside I need to get in shape.  In an ideal world, I'd have had a headstart BEFORE ordering the dress, but as time was limited, I didn't.  Frankly, I shouldn't be overweight in the first place, but I am, and now its a problem!

Anyway, I ordered the middle size, knowing that I lose weight easily, and also knowing that the shop can alter the dress by 2-3 sizes.  However, in the 4 weeks since then, I've already lost a stone, and my hips are now at the size of the dress I ordered and bust will already need to be reduced by 2 sizes.  I know I will lose more weight by November, and would really like to look in the best shape possible.

I called the shop to see whether they could change my order - the manager was fantastic and did everything she possibly could, but feedback from the designer was that the dress has already gone into production and they can't change it.  The manager assured me her seamstress would do everything she can to make sure the dress fits properly, but I'm really worried that the dress, particularly the bust, is going to end up needing to be altered by 4-5 sizes and not look as it should.

So I guess my options are:-
  1. Don't lose any more weight (I really don't want to do this, as if I can, I want to, and start married life in a healthier position, particularly as babies are likely to be on the cards next year);

2. Order the dress again in a smaller size.  As the other dress is already in production, I very much doubt the store will reassign my deposit, and I imagine (quite rightly) I'll still be on the hook for the remaining balance, so I'd be paying twice, in the hope I could sell the bigger size at some point;

3. Wait it out and see how big the dress is once it arrives, and see whether the seamstresses can work their magic.
Can anyone offer any words of wisdom, advice, or support?  Has anyone been in this boat?  Has anyone sold an un-altered / unused dress?

Apologies for rambling - I know there are bigger problems in this world, but I'm having a mini-freak about this!

• Samantha265Samantha265 Posts: 434 New bride
    I lost a lot of weight before my wedding, and i added an inch on to each measurement when ordering to make sure there was room to alter it, so all in I'd say it was taken in at least 4 or 5 dress sizes and it looked perfect. Dont worry, a good seamstress will work magic!
  • MrsPB2019MrsPB2019 Posts: 806 New bride
    I wouldn’t order a second dress if you can’t afford to lose the money from the first. There are so many second hand wedding dresses for sale, you’d be lucky to sell it for anywhere near what you paid if at all.
  • Samantha265Samantha265 Posts: 434 New bride
    I got my evening dress preloved and in the search I saw loads of dresses on for a fraction of original cost and they werent sold after 2 years. Some were even selling unworn dresses still in bridal shop. Getting someone who wants ur exact dress who fits your size and is willing to go preloved is like the perfect storm. Def dont sell it unless u can afford to lose out if it doesnt go.
  • I lost a lot of weight before my wedding, and i added an inch on to each measurement when ordering to make sure there was room to alter it, so all in I'd say it was taken in at least 4 or 5 dress sizes and it looked perfect. Dont worry, a good seamstress will work magic!
    Thats really helpful to know - thank you!!

With a bit of luck, I'm hoping the dress will arrive a little earlier than initially anticipated, so I can at least see how big it is at the half way point.  I guess then I can have a chat with the seamstresses and get a realistic idea of how much further they can take it in.

It wouldn't break me to buy another dress, but it'd be silly so I guess that's my last resort!