Grandmother outfit - help!

hi guys! I’m getting married next year and need to take my very elderly grandmother outfit shopping as there is no one else to do so.

she’d like a pencil skirt, blouse and jacket combo (imagine the queen?!) which I’m struggling to find anywhere. I’ve emailed the local shops but they supply mainly dresses.

she is very particular about what she wears but we can’t shop online as her vision makes it impossible. 

There is nothing in the usual places or other places and with BHS gone I’m struggling.

we live in Dorset & Wiltshire so any suggestions on where we can go would be most welcome!

thank you :)

Posts

  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,934 New bride
    Marks & Spencer, Debenhams, Roman Originals. Kaleidoscope, Ambrose Wilson and JD Williams sell those sorts of outfit but they are online. 
  • CharleyybCharleyyb Posts: 3 New bride
    MrsCToBee said:
    Marks & Spencer, Debenhams, Roman Originals. Kaleidoscope, Ambrose Wilson and JD Williams sell those sorts of outfit but they are online. 
    Online really isn’t an option but thank you anyway  :)
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,934 New bride
    If you know the sort of thing she wants couldn't you order a few for her to try at home? The fact is elderly people don't spend much on clothes, so shops don't really stock much for them.
  • CharleyybCharleyyb Posts: 3 New bride
    MrsCToBee said:
    If you know the sort of thing she wants couldn't you order a few for her to try at home? The fact is elderly people don't spend much on clothes, so shops don't really stock much for them.
    They don’t stock a lot of it online (the list of shops above do many very nice dresses but no skirts in the style she’s after) either which is why I came here looking for help. I’ve tried catalogues too, all without success. Think I might just have to try convince her to try a dress :) I felt as though I’d seen a lot of people in her age wearing that type of outfit to weddings or christenings so hadn’t envisaged it not being possible to find one shop that could accommodate although I knew it would be a challenge.
    thank you for your help and advice it has been much appreciated.
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,934 New bride
    Charleyyb said:
    MrsCToBee said:
    If you know the sort of thing she wants couldn't you order a few for her to try at home? The fact is elderly people don't spend much on clothes, so shops don't really stock much for them.
    They don’t stock a lot of it online (the list of shops above do many very nice dresses but no skirts in the style she’s after) either which is why I came here looking for help. I’ve tried catalogues too, all without success. Think I might just have to try convince her to try a dress :) I felt as though I’d seen a lot of people in her age wearing that type of outfit to weddings or christenings so hadn’t envisaged it not being possible to find one shop that could accommodate although I knew it would be a challenge.
    thank you for your help and advice it has been much appreciated.
    My gran always wore those kinds of outfits to occasions but to be honest, most of them she'd had for 20-30 years and just brought them out for special occasions!

    They do have a Mix and Match section on Ambrose Wilson where they sell matching skirts and jackets (and trousers too) which you could team with a blouse, but you aren't going to find many options. they do this cobalt pencil skirt with a matching jacket. https://www.ambrosewilson.com/shop/essential-workwear-pencil-skirt/hg197/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=9061#colour:Cobalt%20Blue,size:

    https://www.ambrosewilson.com/shop/essential-fashion-blazer/hg206/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=9061#colour:Cobalt%20Blue,size:

    It's available in other colours too.

    Have you thought about asking a seamstress to make something? The seamstress who altered my wedding dress makes quite a lot of outfits for elderly ladies.
Sign In or Register to comment.