Cheap wedding dress?

Hi,

I don’t want to spend more than £100 on a dress I will only wear once. I feel put off by second-hand and sample dresses due to having someone else’s BO, sweat, perfume, potentially smoke smells etc. on them, and I am not convinced that a cold wash with no/low spin will make the dress anymore hygienic. Unless there is a way to make it feel nice to wear?

I have found loads of good reviews from years ago about Chinese sellers Milly Bridal, Gianiar Bridal and Landy Bridal (Asapbay). I can only find Milly Bridal website, and their dresses under £100 are so plain. What happened to the rest of these sellers? 

JJ’s House looks alright and DreamyDress.co.uk dresses look gorgeous for under £100, with so much detail. They have a normal returns policy, so what’s the catch?  
Chi Chi London dresses are too plain for my liking (bottom halves anyway). Any other suggestions or have you used the above shops and find them good?

I need to be able to wear a bra, at least with clear straps, for support, so can’t be in a strapless or sheer-sleeved gown. 

Thanks!

• CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,122 New bride
    edited 6 September
    Sticking to a strict £100 might be hard, but theres some lovely high street ones for £150 odd. Take a look at Lipsy and Asos too.

Dont know about the sellers you mentioned but i have heard good things about CoCoMelody and Solo Bridal, but i do think you may have to compromise somewhere.

Ive heard JJs house is hard work for returns, but havent tried myself so cant vouch for it.

Also bear in mind many people have their dresses dry cleaned before selling, so dont rule out all second hand ones!
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,846 New bride
    edited 7 September
    EverPretty on Amazon is worth a look, as is Dorothy Perkins. To be blunt, dresses under £100 are going to be fairly plain though.
  • My dress was £102.40 from a China based site and it was amazing! I got a preloved dress for the evening which had been drycleaned. You could look at any website that custom makes dresses and just get it in cream or white too x
  • Thanks all! I find ASOS clothes in general and dresses in particular either too plain or weird styles. Ever Pretty is where I got my bridesmaid dress from years ago and their quality is great. Free returns too so can’t go wrong. Not a great choice of wedding dresses, but for under £40, what can I expect. 

Samantha265, which Chinese site did you get yours from? Did dru cleaning not just remove the stains from the preloved dress, did it smell fresh too?
  • Not exactly what I was looking for in style, but it’s pretty, cheap and returnable!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ever-Pretty-Ruffles-Evening-Dresses/dp/B07WKWY74D/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1567862167&refinements=p_89%3AEver+Pretty%2Cp_76%3A419159031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&s=clothing&sr=1-8#immersive-view_1567862213208

Would it be easy enough to customise? What could I use- a beaded belt or something down the skirt to make it less plain?
    That's lovely! A belt would look good, but I don't think the skirt will look plain in real life as that lace overlay is really pretty!
  • As long as it doesn’t look like net curtains in real life. I have always wanted a ruched gathered up skirt but can’t have it all on my budget, eh😊
  • It was dressilyme.com, though was several years ago now. And yes it looked and smelt like a new dress! There was a tiny stain on the very edge that I had removed anyway as I had it taken up by an inch or 2. Also try samples, they often will clean them before sale
  • Do they clean them inside or just the visible marks on the outside? Does dry cleaning remove the previous wearer’s sweat etc.?
    Do they clean them inside or just the visible marks on the outside? Does dry cleaning remove the previous wearer’s sweat etc.?
    You can wash a wedding dress in a washing machine or in the bath, most are just made from polyester these days, it's a myth that you have to dry clean them. I washed mine myself after the wedding and it came up perfect. Very few dresses are real silk these days.
  • Oh yeah, I have seen the instructions and could wash it in the bath, but can’t hang it over the bath because we don’t have a railing and weather is so unpredictable, couldn’t count on being able to dry outside.