Wedding dress shopping as size 16-18

Hi all! I'm going wedding dress shopping with my mum this weekend, yay! I'm a size 16-18 and had hoped to lose some weight before dress shopping, but with a back injury and I didn't manage too well. I'm hoping to be a size 14-16 for the wedding next year.

I've always had issues with my weight, and I'm really nervous about dress shopping, stripping off in front of shop assistants, dresses not fitting and not feeling huge in a wedding dress. Does anyone have any tips or thoughts of things to bear in mind about shopping for wedding dresses as a slightly bigger size? I've already checked the shops we're going stock bigger sizes, I just don't want to feel disheartened and big on the day.

Thanks!

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 828 New bride
    Exciting times! I'm a size 14-16 on top and 16-18 below, so I had similar worries.

Don't forget that the shop assistants deal with women in their underwear every day, so they've already seen everything and they're not judging you. Size 16 is average for UK nowadays, so you're body-size is probably the one the assistants are most used to working with.

The sample dresses won't fit you properly, but they will have pegs, etc which will make them fit as best as possible. Remember, your final product will fit you much better, and when you have it altered it will fit perfectly, so don't feel disheartened if it doesn't feel quite right. They should put you in a larger sized dress and then peg it down to your size rather than try to squeeze you into a smaller sample dress.

I recommend that even though you're trying to lose weight, you order the dress in your current size rather than project a smaller size onto yourself. It's easier to take in a dress (mine was taken in three sizes) than it is to take out a dress, and you don't want to put any additional pressure onto yourself.

Have fun!
  • I was a size 18 when I went dress shopping and I honestly think it's all down to the assistant. I was very lucky, mine was amazing and made me feel so relaxed. The dress I actually went for was only a size 10 sample. The assistant was holding me into it with every inch of her being but the minute my MOH saw me in it and the tears flowed, I knew it was the one. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get an assistant as amazing as mine was.
  • Aw thanks guys. That's really put my mind at ease. OmRum that's such a good point - I hadn't considered that most women are a similar size now. All the photos of pintrest dresses etc are usually on models, not regular-size women. An Hullass1972 that's so lovely! Fingers crossed I've got an assistant that good tomorrow, thank you! 
  • Hullass1972Hullass1972 Posts: 601 New bride
    MabelcatB said:
    Aw thanks guys. That's really put my mind at ease. OmRum that's such a good point - I hadn't considered that most women are a similar size now. All the photos of pintrest dresses etc are usually on models, not regular-size women. An Hullass1972 that's so lovely! Fingers crossed I've got an assistant that good tomorrow, thank you! 
    Hey @MabelcatB, how did it go?
  • MabelcatBMabelcatB Posts: 12 New bride
    MabelcatB said:
    Aw thanks guys. That's really put my mind at ease. OmRum that's such a good point - I hadn't considered that most women are a similar size now. All the photos of pintrest dresses etc are usually on models, not regular-size women. An Hullass1972 that's so lovely! Fingers crossed I've got an assistant that good tomorrow, thank you! 
    Hey @MabelcatB, how did it go?
    Hey! It was lovely, thank you. I found my dress! It was one that the shop owner had only just had in and it hadn't been out on display yet, so it feels really lucky to have found it. 

I went to three shops and two were amazing! No issues related to size or feeling embarrassed, and the ladies running them were so lovely and helpful. One (the second) wasn't as helpful, but it was more of a budget option so I guess you really are paying for the service. The assistant in that shop didn't say anything about my size though. 

I love my dress and I'm so happy with it. I was really conscious about having back flab on show because so many of the dresses I tried and liked were great except for having a low back, and in the second shop they told me that low backs are in fashion so I'm going to struggle if I'm not ok with it  :# BUT the third shop told me that's not the case and we found lots of options. SO excited to go back and see it when it comes in to the shop in April!
  • Hullass1972Hullass1972 Posts: 601 New bride
    I'm so pleased for you!!!!