should I wear a veil?

Just need some opinions on whether I can wear a veil in a civil ceremony?

Some friends say that this is only reserved for a church wedding. Does the venue need to be very grand to wear a veil? My first dress fitting went really well and the dress looks so nice with a simple hand cut veil, does the fact that I'm not going to wear it over my face mean I should not wear one at all? I know there are nice alternatives.

• elliotlukelliotluk Posts: 250
    im having a civil ceremony in quite a small room to be honest, but i am wearing quite a large dress and a veil and a tiara. You need to ask yourself do YOU want to wear one. you dont want to wish you did.
  • cookie1ukcookie1uk Posts: 26
    Lisa,

You have to wear what you feel comfortable in wearing, if you want to wear a veil then wear one, i got a veil with my dress and i did not like it and think i have about three or four now, but that was just me being fussy as i was wanting one as long as my dress and the ones i had brought were not even though they looked it in the shop.

But honey its all about you and your H2b if you want to were one then get it on girl and wear it, not all veils have to be worn over the face!

Good luck honey and hope all goes well for you
  • Ali88ukAli88uk Posts: 58
    Cookie1 is right - think about how you look and how you feel in your dress etc - if you feel right then it's right! I think I may have found my dress, and I tried it with a veil, it looks heavenly! My mum wanted me to go with some bolero thing to 'cover up' a bit (strapless dress) to be a little modest, but the veil over my shoulders does the job perfectly. So I'll be wearing at least a finger-tip length veil with my dress (not huge but not exactly sleek and minimalist) and we're having a civil eremony at a country hotel. The veil can really finish off the whole look, so if it works for you, go for it, and enjoy being all floaty!
  • cheryl654cheryl654 Posts: 366
    I'm having quite a modern civil and decided against a veil as it didn't fit in but never felt the urge to wear one with my dress. I think it depends on the style of your dress and venue and how you feel.
  • HarrietPenguinHarrietPenguin Posts: 5,848
    I'm getting married in a civil service too and didn't think I wanted a veil but as soon as I saw myself in one in the dress I had chosen I changed my mind. The veil finished the outfit perfectly and I had to have it! I went from not having one at all to having a full length one that goes right down to the end of my cathedral train.

You need to think of how you feel and look - for me the venue / civil thing was secondary to me feeling like an absolute princess!
  • bellaukbellauk Posts: 357
    Hi Lisa. I'm getting married in church and I don't intend on wearing a veil. I was told by a saleswomen in a bridal shop that I had to wear a veil if I was geeting married in a church but having spoke to loads of other BTB's I think she was trying to get me to buy one and that this is not the case. It's up to you what you feel comfortable wearing.
  • Go for it!!!! It doesnt matter where you are getting married you want to look and feel like a princess so you should wear whatever you like there are no rules where you can wear them so you should definitely go for it.

xx