Venue adding £400 on a month before

Hello ladies,

you were all very helpful before & I need some advice again. I work with a girl I used to go to school with, she's also having her wedding at one of our venues. Today she asks have I had a phone call from them, I say no & ask why. She said that a couple days ago she gets a phone call from them asking to speak to her. she has paid the venue off in full by this point - £ 1400 from a champagne reception cold sandwich buffet for 50 followed an evening reception with hot & cold buffet for 80. Not too bad for that price but not amaaaazing. they have informed her that she now needs to pay another £400- 4 weeks before her wedding?? 

Her dad pays this. She isn't getting anything extra and i just find this shocking as it's a nice venue and it's a lovely function room but almost 2 grand for a sandwich buffet for her wedding breakfast seems absurd.

they are now asking for new bookings to pay almost 3 grand for the venue!! So what should I do? I feel sick to the stomach that there going to do something like this to us and because we've almost paid it all off wed have to find the money from somewhere image 

any legal eagles or knowledgeable ladies know what I should do now?

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

Have you got a contract or a document confirming the price? You would need to check this carefully to see what it says about the price changing at the last minute. It sounds unusual.

• We've got a page in there bookings with the amount on & our date & we've signed it. Should I arrange to get something signed by them, with our date & that we are paying x amount? X

• lawveelawvee Posts: 1,378

Did they produce that page/document? Is there,anything any where that says the price can be increased? If so, they'd be hard pressed to charge you any more and I would not be prepared to pay an extra penny.

Could your friend have requested something extra resulting in the price increase? 

• lawveelawvee Posts: 1,378

Oops sorry just re-read your post and realised you already said your friend didn't ask for anything extra!

Why did she feel she had to pay the extra money? If she has a contract with them they can't suddenly increase the price for no reason.

• No there's not, she's just messaged me on Facebook and apparently they've told her there would be an issue with under catering so she needed to pay more. Im popping in today to get a signed letterhead contract and paying more off. I'm also speaking to the owner to ensure this doesn't happen with our wedding, x

• Snowy xSnowy x Posts: 1,100

Perhaps after giving them here final numbers they saw she wasn't catering for 100%. Most venues who you have a full breakfast with, allow you to only cater for about 75% of the total of evening guests, but as she is only having the buffet, perhaps she hadn't considered she'd need to cater for 100%?

• Spam88Spam88 Posts: 1,001

I think it does sound like they've told her she needs to cater for more people rather than just charging her another £400 for the heck of it - still awful that they've done it at this late stage, but hopefully means you won't get any extra charges stuck on image

• Yeah that's what I'm hoping. I saw another colleague today and apparently he has heard of others with issues. I spoke to the manger today and were on the same page & everythings sorted, thanks ladies x

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

Glad you got it sorted image