Photogrpher refund

Hi,

I need some help

Got this photographer from gum tree, everything looked OK , met with him and decided to take him, paid the deposit in cash.  after less than two days we decided to cancel him and get another one, but he refuses to refund the money.  it gave us a receipt but it does not mention anything about cancellation, and also he never even mention it when we talked.

what can i do in this situation? i don't want him to get a way with this.

• MrsSharkMrsShark Posts: 785 New bride

I'm not sure there's a lot you can do to be honest. A deposit is usually paid to secure a date and is non refundable, it's like entering a contract. We have changed photographers and lost our deposit, we accepted and never questioned we wouldn't get it back. 

• The guy is a fraudster apparently, we searched him online and discovered he never turned to some weddings, and basically he steals photos and put them on his website.

unfortunately  we discover it too late ...

so we decided to cancel him, but of curse he does not want to refund the money...

now it seems he just going to get away with it, and continue to do this to other people .

also there is a cooling off period where there is an entitlement for a refund for any service / product and the law of contract says he should of specify it verbally or writing... i know all that, just not sure where to take it...image

• hautocrafthautocraft Posts: 263 New bride

Perhaps you can contact Citizen's Advice Bureau or Trading Standards and they can tell you where you stand in regards to this and with the law?

babybluegirl

• Thank you will do tomorrow

it is so frustrating image

I see, sorry I thought you had just changed your mind image

Does he have a Facebook page or twitter that you could publicly ask him on? That way, he'd look bad if he refused 

• Speccy4eyesSpeccy4eyes Posts: 2,050

we were gonna get a tog from Gumtree

Whats his name? I'd hate to get caught up with the same fraudstar

maybe you could save others from the same fate with a name and shame post

• I'd tend to agree that most deposits are non refundable but usually there is 14 day cancellation period. Am I wrong? If he's already in trouble and you've got reasonable cause to doubt his reputation, I'd threaten him with a small claims court.