Reception & wedding breakfast issues

Hi,

What are your opinions on the following potential issues I have with our favourite wedding venue.

The hotel charges parking for guests staying as well as guests just attending the reception, over 5 hours is £15 and if you stay it is £20. Will guests who do drive be put off or annoyed? There is a multi story car park also nearby but this is also chargeable.

There is no green space or outside area for photos. Obviously it is not guaranteed to be a nice day but will I be making a mistake?

Thanks

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,475 New bride

I would be a little bit annoyed to have to pay that amount just to park if I were booking a room.  However, it depends on where it is- if it were city centre, then I would likely just get a cab anyway.  

In terms of green space- personally I would much prefer that, but then my number one "must have" was having an exclusive use venue.  Everyone is different.  If you have a good photographer they will make use of the surroundings.  

• Jade182Jade182 Posts: 8 New bride

Thanks for your response, yes it is in Windsor town centre so I am expecting people to mainly get taxis anyway but don't want to annoy my guests or make them feel as if they can't come.

Good thinking re my photographer, the Church is opposite the hotel which again has no green space so I am in a bit of a dilemma as other locations have had that wow factor but have been more expensive and logisitcally not as good.

• weatherwaxeweatherwaxe Posts: 848 New bride

I have zero green space at either my ceremony or reception venues and it doesn't bother me for a second. It just means that the photographer has to get more creative than the usual 'bride and groom looking lovingly at each other in a field or garden' shots. As long as you have a good imaginative photographer you'll be totally fine.

Also it could chuck it down all day anyway so you might not be able to use the outside space even if you had it.

I've mentioned this before to people on here, but MrsMann (who got married in October last year) has some of the most beautiful indoor wedding pictures I've ever seen as it rained all day on her wedding day. They probably turned out way better than if they'd been able to get outside.

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-wedding-reports/the-report---our-white-autumn-wedding---26102017/449882.html

Also, I would totally get a taxi to a wedding. I'd probably be drinking and wouldn't want to drive. The fact that parking is paid for wouldn't be an issue for me. I would definitely mention the parking charge on your invites though, just to be sure that people are aware.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

It's a bit annoying but as long as you make it clear on your invites it should be fine - people can then decide whether to train / cab / carpool etc. Maybe you could ask the hotel for a bit of a discount if you know a lot of people will be driving - say it's the one thing holding you back etc and you never know, they might give you a few free spaces or a bit of a discount you can pass on to guests.

The outside space thing wouldn't bother me so much if you've got somewhere you love for photos inside the venue. Also, in Windsor town centre couldn't you nip up in to the Great Park or down to the river for some photos? Most couples disappear off for 30 mins or so for couples shots often, depending exactly where you are there might be somewhere public you could nip to get some outdoor photos if the weather allows. Although weather is rarely predictable in this country so it might end up you're stuck indoors all day anyway!

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,350 New bride

The parking thing is annoying, but as you are in the centre of town as long as guests know in advance it is ok.

For your location you can encourage guests to arrive by public transport. We had to do this for our wedding in London.

On that we also didn't have any outside space at our reception venue. For the photos the photographer took us to the Naval College and along with river side. We got some lovely shots.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,765 New bride

My venue is in Tunbridge Wells town centre, in a private road with no parking. I will put pay & display car park options in the invite but assume people will get cabs or walk to and from their home/hotel.

The venue also only has a courtyard garden, so we will be going to the park opposite for a few photos. Could you have some photos done in Windsor Great Park?

• MrsGB2015MrsGB2015 Posts: 3,254 New bride

Although we had grounds - we originally planned to have photos done over in Windsor Great Park (didnt happen due to weather) but according to my photographer he had to make sure he had permission for this - so you may want to double check this before going ahead if you decide to

Windsor is a pain for parking though i agree there but as others have said people will probably get a taxi but id definitely pre-warn :)

Whats your venue just out of interest :) xx

Married since June 2015
    TTC since August 2015

"The greater your storm, the brighter your rainbow"
  • JMB2019JMB2019 Posts: 73 New bride

£15 isn’t too bad considering if they were getting a taxi there and back they would be spending the same so I wouldn’t worry about it!!

us brides need to stop worrying about what other people think, iM also terrible for doing it!!!