Register office

Hi i am looking  for some help. Myself and partner are getting married in the register office and i was told about this interview you have beforehand, i don't want him to see me in my dress though so can i meet the registrar on my own. 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,619 New bride
    You have to see the registrar on your own! So don't panic 😀
  • Oh thank you. I just thought after so much planning it would be pointless for him to stand in the same room before the ceremony. Someone told me you pay on the day too is this correct?

You have to see the registrar separately so they can check you aren't being forced into the marriage.

In my area you have to pay 3 months before, we get married in August and have to have paid the registrar by May. I've never heard of paying on the day. I would suggest you ring them and ask these questions, once we had booked they sent us a confirmation letter explaining what we needed to do to give notice and when the payment was due.

• Well we live in Birmingham and we have booked the appointment to give notice on the 4th of Feb and then this apparently flags up at the register office its taking place at and then they send out a info pack so i guess that will tell us when to pay. Thank you for you help
  • jenny_barnsjenny_barns Posts: 5 New bride
    Don't worry, they just want to check over with you that everything is above board and that it is a genuine marriage. They see you separately and ask you similar questions to make sure that your story will match up! I am sure you have nothing to worry about!
  • SlySly Posts: 36 New bride
    I don't think you do this interview on the day of the wedding??? We gave notice last week for our wedding in a hotel in may and were interviewed separately then. They told us they will send a letter closer to the time so We can pay then and not on the day. 
    Sly said:
    I don't think you do this interview on the day of the wedding??? We gave notice last week for our wedding in a hotel in may and were interviewed separately then. They told us they will send a letter closer to the time so We can pay then and not on the day. 
    You give notice in advance, then you both have to meet quickly with the registrar just before the ceremony too.
  • Hi could some one help me on how you go around booking the register office I just don’t know where to start I want to get married the 5th October this year I don’t know if I’ve left it to late or how I go about doing anything x 
  • Hi could some one help me on how you go around booking the register office I just don’t know where to start I want to get married the 5th October this year I don’t know if I’ve left it to late or how I go about doing anything x 
    Call the office you want to get married at and discuss the availability of the date you want. They will then go through the prices and processes of what needs to happen.