Venue we love but unsure what to do! - Advice needed

sarahwalker22sarahwalker22 Posts: 3 New bride
edited 12 November in Wedding venues
We went to visit a venue that we love last week. I've attached some photos - keep in mind that it is a DIY barn venue (which is what we want) and we visited out of wedding season and they use their barns for personal use this time of year. We wanted cheap, DIY and all in one venue. All of which this is. 

My initial thoughts were - "It's literally a shed." But once I got into it, I realised that we had total control of what the venue will end up looking like. The venue supplies a lot of decor and we are allowed to bring our own. We're wanting our wedding to be 2nd October 2021 which the venue know about. 

BUT... Seeing as it is in October, we are worried about the cold weather. The doors to the barns shut, but my fiance is concerned about me being cold due to my illnesses plus elderly and child guests (bless him.) I think we could provide blankets and rent heaters to keep the venue warm. Plus there is a fire pit.  The venue is water tight, as well. 

Here are our pros and cons list: 
Pros -
  • Cheap to hire
  • included in the price, you get the cabin for two nights (night before wedding and night of wedding)
  • exclusive access to the wedding from Thursday to Sunday so plenty of time to decorate
  • Decor provided
  • dancefloor provided
  • camping ground included (I don't think it'll get used for camping but it can be used for parking too)
  • plenty of accommodation in the area for guests
  • Fully stocked bar
  • good payment scheme
  • Fire pit
  • Tarmac outside in case it rains a bit - no mud! 
Cons - 
  • May be cold

Could this be something we could work around? I'm sure that once people are dancing, and we've made precautions in case of chilly weather (especially in the evening) then we'll be okay. We're on a tight budget as it is - so having the bridal suite for two days included in the price already is a huge cost cut. Plus, the cabin is behind the main barns so we won't have to worry about transport for me - more money saved! With all of this in mind, He's still uncertain. 

• I think you could make that barn look lovely. 

My initial thoughts are as follows: 

- Does the venue come with the tables, linen, cutlery and crockery? if not then that is an added expense to hire these items.
    - Are there toilets for your guests to use or do you have to hire those too? 
    - Have you spoken to any caterers yet? the cost of food is often a significant percentage of your budget so try and get quotes for all elements so you know the full end total not just the dry hire cost of the venue. Some caterers may be able to provide the linen, cutlery, crockery and staff as part of their quote. There will also be able to advise of what kitchen/ prep facilities that they will require to ensure its available at the venue.  
    - I think you need to check the type of decorations that the venue have available and if they are to your liking. If not you have to consider the additional expense of buying/ hiring decorations you do like. 

What has the venue suggested regarding the warmth of the building in October? Have they done any other weddings that time of year and if so what did they do to keep it warm? If they hired heaters you need an idea of the number and cost to hire those and add them to the venue hire budget. 

Good luck

• Pistachio said:
    I think you could make that barn look lovely. 

My initial thoughts are as follows: 

- Does the venue come with the tables, linen, cutlery and crockery? if not then that is an added expense to hire these items.
    - Are there toilets for your guests to use or do you have to hire those too? 
    - Have you spoken to any caterers yet? the cost of food is often a significant percentage of your budget so try and get quotes for all elements so you know the full end total not just the dry hire cost of the venue. Some caterers may be able to provide the linen, cutlery, crockery and staff as part of their quote. There will also be able to advise of what kitchen/ prep facilities that they will require to ensure its available at the venue.  
    - I think you need to check the type of decorations that the venue have available and if they are to your liking. If not you have to consider the additional expense of buying/ hiring decorations you do like. 

What has the venue suggested regarding the warmth of the building in October? Have they done any other weddings that time of year and if so what did they do to keep it warm? If they hired heaters you need an idea of the number and cost to hire those and add them to the venue hire budget. 

Good luck

Thank you! 

- The venue does not include cutlery and crockery however I am just waiting on a list of suppliers they can recommend for us. If not, we can find our own. They supply tables. 
    - There are toilets onsite.
    - I haven't yet, I have searched around however haven't found one that we can both agree on. (We're having the sit down meal vs buffet debate)
    - They've shown us the full extend of decorations they can provide; LOTS of fairy lights, hay bales for seating, draping, bunting, lanterns etc. I'm planning on doing some DIY decor bits as well (made from things I find from charity shops etc)

Their wedding season runs until the end of September, so we're lucky to be offered first weekend of October. They've recommended heating suggestions, fuel heaters are preferred according to them. Again, they've got suppliers they have used in the past but we're not tied to. Seems to be the case with all of their suppliers! 

I like that we could have free reign with it all however it is overwhelming that we've got so much to think about! x
  • That's great that you have access or recommendation to lots of things but you are also not tied to use them so have the free reign to do your own search. 

A family member of mine had a dry hire venue and it was amazing because they could have whatever they wanted so it was very personal and unique. But if budget is you main motivation it doesn't always end up the most cost effective once you factor in venue, food, drink and all the bits that need to brought on site that come with other venues that we don't usually give much thought to (such as plates, tea cups and butter dishes!) 

However, you can go to town or scale it back as much as you want which is the nice thing about your potential venue.

I think getting a quote for both options for the food - sit down meal and buffet could be a good idea so that you know what you are dealing with. They may pleasantly surprise you or make you want to go back to the drawing board. There is also the option to have street food or afternoon tea. 

Hope your search goes well. x  
  • Have you spoken to any caterers yet? the cost of food is often a significant percentage of your budget so try and get quotes for all elements so you know the full end total not just the dry hire cost of the venue
  • Hi Sarah, I'm a wedding venue owner so I thought it might be helpful to say what occurred to me looking at your pics.  We stop weddings at the end of September because of the weather, we're primarily an outdoor venue with wet weather options.  Looking at the photos of the barn, it looks as though it could be draughty, anywhere you can see daylight, you'll get a draught.  You can hire in marquee heaters which would heat the space.  We own 2 heaters but you'll need to make sure any heaters can be used inside.   We've got fuel heaters which are great for heating up space quickly but they need to be placed outside due to fumes.  So you'll need to get heaters which don't produce any fumes if you're going to have them indoors.  
    Have the venue said you can use the fire pit indoors?   If it's outdoors only, you'll definitely need some heating inside especially for the evening.  October can be fine temperature wise but can also be chilly - that's why we don't go beyond September for big weddings.   
    Have you got separate space for arrivals drinks, ceremony, reception drinks, wedding breakfast and music and dancing?   I can see they've got at least 2 separate spaces.  Is there enough space to have all those different things going on under cover?
    I can see they include fairy lights, toilets, seating etc.  The things you need to think about providing are dining tables, chairs, table linen, napkins, crockery, cutlery, glassware (for each part of the day), sound system, lighting (other than fairy lights)
    HTH!